Transfer Portal

Sissoko averaged 3.2 ppg at Syracuse, should we not want her as a transfer? and right players cant ever shine with more playing time and opportunity right? Not like Lamke or Taiye did it the last two seasons or anything.

Complains we lack height, and get 6'3 transfer, yet still has an issue.

I'll side with Shades. MN girls on the team is nice. If we keep the top ones. I want to get back to the Final Four - not just float around the middle of the Big10 standings and then have a lucky year once a decade.
Height and home grown is fine. But Sissoko was a 5-star top 15 player who is coming off an injury. I'll take those transfers all day long. I'd also hate to see homegrown 'team players' come flying in at a rate that we no longer have space for special talent like McKenzie.

I'll side with Shades. MN girls on the team is nice. If we keep the top ones. I want to get back to the Final Four - not just float around the middle of the Big10 standings and then have a lucky year once a decade.
Height and home grown is fine. But Sissoko was a 5-star top 15 player who is coming off an injury. I'll take those transfers all day long. I'd also hate to see homegrown 'team players' come flying in at a rate that we no longer have space for special talent like McKenzie.

Out of curiosity, what do you know about Mershon, or the two Minnesota girls signed for 2021. have you seen them? have you seen any of the 2021s/2022s/2023s in state to know what their skillset is? I'm not saying you don't, but rankings can be subjective. Look at the all the rankings on Minnesota girls.

Look at ESPN Hoopgurlz, Jrallstar, prepgirlshoops, and prospect nation. go out to games to watch these kids. The Czinano we are getting is a fantastic get! 6'0-6'1 with guard like skills.

I dont think anyone disagrees with what you said. If we fill our roster with 15 players like this its a problem, but this staff has recruited some kids that are highly ranked and are going after many more, now they are filling spots with kids that really wanna be Gophers, that are gonna do whatever they can to help the program, be great teammates, accept their roles, etc. Some people hate the word "culture" but its extremely important these women spend 11 months of the year together, they need to be fully bought in and support each other. We'll never be Maryland, Uconn, Baylor, etc, where transfers dont really matter theyll just recruit another top 30 player the next year. As for Mershon she adds a big body with big ten experience thats a solid defender and rebounder to a really young post group.

Last edited:

Lamke went from starting 14 games as freshman and playing in 25 to playing in 14 and starting none as a sophomore. However when Whalen came she went to playing in 32 games, starting in 21 and averaging 7.7 ppg. Also going to my point that with more opportunity and playing time, a player can provide value to a team. Lamkes senior year, they would of had 5 players to play consistently without her. Should they have given up on her after a regress from freshman to sophomore year?

In terms of staples, who should she have gotten minutes over? Scalia, Powell, Hubbard, Brunson or Pitts? All better players than she was.

Without Mershon, they have a juco in Woodard and its never a guarantee jucos will work, Tomancova which is little to nothing productive, no clue was Cumming can give since injured and didn't play at all, Sconiers who barely played half the games, and Hedman the freshman as posts. Possibly Sissoko and Bagwag-Katalinich can fill in at post for a few minutes, but you have a problem with a 6'3 body, that knows the big ten game mentality and physically? Seems like something the gophers could use to win.
You could say that Lamke regressed after her freshman year as from the stats that's technically true, I guess. But more to the truth was that she was put in as starter way too soon, way before she was ready. Not her fault, coaching mistake. Nevertheless, those minutes helped her grow into the game, and she was a workaholic her whole 4 years in gradually improving her game. I give her credit for that. There is something valuable about a solid body that's willing to put in yeoman's work to improve their game. It paid off in her senior year for Annalese.

Here's a hypothetical: I say that if by some magic Lamke didn't graduate and we had Lamke this year, then we would have been in one of the top-6 spots in the Big Ten. Without that powerful body with a decent post shot, we're stuck with Whalen being too scaredy-cat to play two posts, and Taiye has to face up against both a 6'2" PF and a 6'3" to 6'5" C every single game. As good as she is, it was just too much. We were outrebounded almost every single game, even with Taiye averaging over 10 rebounds.

Yeah, I'll take a 6'3" to 6'6" warm body at C any day - let Whalen go to work and teach her the game needed out of her, and see if she can do it. Plus there's always covering for potential injuries (it's rough in the paint).

I think Lamke's recovery from a broken ankle (suffered in late August before her sophomore season) was a bigger regression issue than her starting during her freshman year.

I think Lamke's recovery from a broken ankle (suffered in late August before her sophomore season) was a bigger regression issue than her starting during her freshman year.

So it would be interesting to know if Mershon had a similar excuse, or was she just outplayed and lost starter minutes.

Somebody said we’re not Baylor, UConn, or Maryland so we should just be happy with what we get. That’s the difference with me. I want to be these clubs, but I can’t really see it happening with this organization the way they’re proceeding.

When is this mass exodous of Gophers going to enter the portal? I thought we were going to have that happen after Whalen and Pitts had their spat. Do we have any that have said they are leaving yet?

When is this mass exodous of Gophers going to enter the portal? I thought we were going to have that happen after Whalen and Pitts had their spat. Do we have any that have said they are leaving yet?
I actually can’t believe we haven’t heard anything on Pitts yet, like where she is going.

Whalen posted a Zoom screenshot on Twitter a few minutes ago of the team and it appears all underclassmen are in the meeting. Pretty sure they had year-end meetings already, but I can't remember which podcast I heard Whalen say that on. Looks like everyone is coming back.

Whalen posted a Zoom screenshot on Twitter a few minutes ago of the team and it appears all underclassmen are in the meeting. Pretty sure they had year-end meetings already, but I can't remember which podcast I heard Whalen say that on. Looks like everyone is coming back.

Sounds good. That'd be amazing to have them all back in today's game.

It will be a crying shame if Destiny Pitts ended up with no place to go given the unusual national emergency circumstances. Maybe, they will grant her an extra season. If some Gophers plan to transfer out, I think everyone is glad to hunker down.

That’s a great get. Whay to be watching that transfer portal, WBB coaching staff.

If (wishful thinking) we had a true C of Shakira’s caliber on our 2019-20 team, we could have been top-3 in Big Ten for sure.

Wondering if she’s planning on sitting out a year. Even if NCAA relaxes its transfer rules, I haven’t heard anything about B1G doing so.

In a video, Coyle mentioned something about NCAA giving Winter sports players an extra year of eligibility (maybe, just on the table for discussion) due to abrupt season end. If they do (which seems rather silly actually) does that mean our four graduating seniors have an opportunity to play elsewhere at some grad school?

Then, of course, there’s still the open question of whether there will even be a 2020-21 season. Probably a topic for a new thread if/when we get any info to bear on the question, but I would guess at a minimum, no summer practice - maybe distance learning of plays,purchase of weightroom equipment for players to use at home, etc. The mind boggles at how to do remote summer practice.

Indiana's Jorie Allen enters portal:

Freshman forward Jorie Allen has announced her intention to transfer from the IU women’s basketball program, according to a Sunday press from the team.

“Jorie and I have spoken and we agree that it’s in her best interest to leave Indiana,” IU head coach Teri Moren said in the release. “We wish her much success moving forward and thank her for her contributions to our program.”

The announcement comes after Allen appeared in all 32 games of her freshman season and averaged more than 11 minutes per game off the bench. Allen had a career-high nine points in 23 minutes against Nicholls State on Nov. 10.

The former Indiana Ms. Basketball was a major contributor for a Hoosier team that won a program best 24 games. Allen was there to see the Hoosiers advance to the Big Ten Tournament semifinals
and finish the season ranked in the AP Top 25.

With all the players headed to Michigan, I wonder if Pitts has considered returning home.

6' 1" wing Estella Moschkau enters the portal. She's from Madison. The Badgers were her second choice when she selected Stanford.

Wow, she could have gotten that Stanford degree. I hear that can impress potential employers.

Wow, she could have gotten that Stanford degree. I hear that can impress potential employers.
That tweet says shes grad-transferring. Impressive to get that Stanford degree in 3 years.

One of the great things about summer practices and summer school is that players have a fighting chance to graduate in three years if they desire.

Top Bottom