Tracy Claeys Press conference notes and video - always about due process

My feelings as well. Head coaching at this level is not just about X's and O's. I think Claeys is a really good coordinator, but we didn't learn the Brewster lesson very well.

PE, so Claeys is the only turd that floats. Hardly a ringing endorsement.

Those last two sentences are way out of line..

Sure, when you change the goal posts, you'll always be "right".

I apologize dpodoll68. Not trying to be right, in fact it would be great if I'm wrong. I was just trying to make the point that Claeys is where he is at because of a very unique situation, and that is certainly no knock against him. I was fully supportive of naming him the head coach at the time given the circumstances. However, after 1 full season it appears to me that he doesn't have the attributes, or meet the expectations I have for the University of Minnesota football head coach, just my thoughts and opinions. Just because of Minnesota's past history, it doesn't mean we have to base our expectations on that history. If so it will probably never change (and based on it's history it probably never will, but that doesn't mean I would change my expectations).

Just trying to point out that the vast majority of head coaches in power 5 have previous head coaching experience. Obviously there are exceptions like Dabo Swinney and Mike Gundy etc. You roll the dice and evaluate, I feel I have enough info to make my evaluation base on the entirety of the circumstances, other don't, they're just opinions.

Those last two sentences are way out of line..

Sorry for working blue. Just a tough situation. I have avoided posting on this because I am puzzled. This is a horrifying situation and everyone seems to run to one post or the other and in the process fails to realize the middle ground that there is enough blame to go around here, starting with all of the participants in a misguided pleasure ride. I don't get the venom with which Kaler and Coyle are attacked. I understand the displeasure, but the imputing of all of this "they hate football so they are throwing everyone but themselves under the bus to save their skins. There are over 50,000 students on the University of Minnesota campus. Kaler has to look out for all of them, including the football team. Libertarians (and to be clear I am no prude) can toss out the "what happens between consenting adults is sacrosanct" line, but that's a cop-out that excuses some pretty rank behavior. I get and appreciate the due process claim, but I always marvel how that is malleable depending on whose ox is getting gored.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm pretty disappointed in Claeys for not knowing what is actually going on with the team and then joining the dither party. Granted, he was in a no-win situation.

Just trying to point out that the vast majority of head coaches in power 5 have previous head coaching experience.

I appreciate that you're finally showing some humility and common sense in your posts (thank you for the first paragraph), but again, this is not a correct statement. I guess one could quibble over the definition of "vast majority," but without time to verify right now I would guess that a very large minority (possibly even close to half) of sitting Power 5 head coaches had no head coaching experience prior to their current job. And furthermore, it doesn't matter. There is no one tried and true method of finding a successful head coach, or everyone would follow it. Prior head coaching experience doesn't necessarily make you better. Bret Bielema took the wisconsin job with no previous HC experience, James Franklin at Vanderbilt, Clay Helton at USC, Steve Sarkisian at Washington, etc., etc., etc. Conversely, you have guys like Darrell Hazell, Charlie Strong, Ron Zook, etc., etc., etc. who came into jobs with previous HC experience and were terrible.

You have an (incorrect) image in your head of what a HC is supposed to have in terms of experience, looks, speech, etc. and Claeys doesn't fit that profile so you've deemed him a failure without giving him a chance or looking at anything substantive. How about actually judging him on his accomplishments instead of measuring him against a nonsensical template?

I appreciate that you're finally showing some humility and common sense in your posts (thank you for the first paragraph), but again, this is not a correct statement. I guess one could quibble over the definition of "vast majority," but without time to verify right now I would guess that a very large minority (possibly even close to half) of sitting Power 5 head coaches had no head coaching experience prior to their current job. And furthermore, it doesn't matter. There is no one tried and true method of finding a successful head coach, or everyone would follow it. Prior head coaching experience doesn't necessarily make you better. Bret Bielema took the wisconsin job with no previous HC experience, James Franklin at Vanderbilt, Clay Helton at USC, Steve Sarkisian at Washington, etc., etc., etc. Conversely, you have guys like Darrell Hazell, Charlie Strong, Ron Zook, etc., etc., etc. who came into jobs with previous HC experience and were terrible.

You have an (incorrect) image in your head of what a HC is supposed to have in terms of experience, looks, speech, etc. and Claeys doesn't fit that profile so you've deemed him a failure without giving him a chance or looking at anything substantive. How about actually judging him on his accomplishments instead of measuring him against a nonsensical template?

To piggyback off of this quickly while I have a few free minutes - in the Big Ten currently with zero prior collegiate head coaching experience:

Pat Fitzgerald
Tom Allen (and Kevin Wilson before him)
D.J. Durkin
Chris Ash
Tracy Claeys

That's 5/14, or just under 36%. I would imagine the picture is around the same in other Power 5 conferences. I don't think anyone would claim 60-65% to be a "vast majority".

Top Bottom