Tracy Claeys Press conference notes and video - always about due process

GopherLady

Reaction score
Here is the video of the full press conference

https://www.facebook.com/GopherHoleMN/videos/vb.59666664494/10154388991099495/?type=2&theater

Here are the notes, not verbatim from the presser

• I hadn't read the report when I tweeted

• The story about me saying there was a good chance I'd be fired was last Thursday. The tweet...I could have used better words. I wanted to make sure I supported their cause, to get people to talk about this…

• You try to be a parent in the end. We recruit these kids and we're their parents on campus. The staff's tehir parent. A lot of times, that's how you make that decision. At the same time, I know I'm a U of MN employee. It's a tough line to walk. You make the best decision you can

• Very good conservation with Mark Coyle, it went very well. He's a good boss.

• We practices well and went through Meetings.

• On the boycott - That wasn't my decision, that was the kids decision, which is why I stayed in the background. I was there to make sure they were making the right decision and they knew what the consequences would be.

• On the donation - 50k - it will be 50k, I'm not sure to who yet. You don't think it bothers me and my family to get messages saying that I support rape? I'd never do that. I've got 4 beautiful nieces, my sister and Mom.
• In the players mind, there's a due process that needs to be addressed….

• If you only support players behind closed doors, they will be some that think you don't believe in them.

• I don't worry about my job on a day to day basis, I never have. I don't want to work for someone that doesn't want me working for them.*

• On if the reversal of the boycott was because of the report? That's up to them, I don't know that the report being released has some effect on the boycott it was minimal

• The boycott was around the due process, period.

• This happens on campuses all the time. It's gonna happen more on campuses. The kids are Citizen's 1st gave constitutional rights, this is there right*

• As much as possible. The M never comes off, make good decisions. You can preach and preach and preach. There will be some mistakes that you're going to have to deal with*

• I want to reiterate that the boycott was about due process, and no way condones rape or assault of women of any kind.*

I have no problem with Tracy, sh** happens and honestly he handled it overall about as well as he could and also maintain a standing with the team.

I thought he handled that fairly well. Still waiting for Mark Coyle to emerge from his bunker and answer questions........

Didn't see this thread. Thanks for posting.

Hats off to Tracy. He stood there and answered everything thrown at him till the reporters were out of questions. Nice job, coach!

Hats off to Tracy. He stood there and answered everything thrown at him till the reporters were out of questions. Nice job, coach!

And he was able to do all of it w/o breaking some privacy requirement. Mr. "I like to be behind the scenes" should take notes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought he handled that fairly well. Still waiting for Mark Coyle to emerge from his bunker and answer questions........

I think people from Syracuse are still waiting as well. Daily Gopher did an interview with John Casillo (May 17, 2016) on Syracuse perspective.
http://www.thedailygopher.com/2016/5/17/11687044/mark-coyle-minnesota-syracuse-athletics-director So, his lack of being available to media doesn't come as a surprise after reading this. And, in no way, am I suggesting that is the correct approach. Just saying I'm not that surprised.

Let's recap what has happened in the last two days
1. Student Leadership made a statement against sexual assault and stressed importance of having a fair process for their team mates
2. President makes a statement and also does an ad-hoc interview with KSTP
3. Regent talks to Star Tribune
4. Coach talks to the media until they have no other questions
5. 10 Suspensions prior to bowl remain in place

Why the hell was this not the process in the seconds after this was all announced to the public? Just because the details of this leaked in no way changes the responsibilities of those in charge, yet here we are...getting information.

Kaler should really take some notes.

I thought that when the students released there end boycott statement.. I don't give a damn if a lawyer wrote it or not.. I'm sure they prove read it and whatnot...

I agree with many of you, thought it was good for Claeys to hold this press conference, and he answered all the questions media had. He didn't hide. Obviously, there were things he couldn't comment on, which is understandable, but he handled it like a man.

Let's recap what has happened in the last two days
1. Student Leadership made a statement against sexual assault and stressed importance of having a fair process for their team mates
2. President makes a statement and also does an ad-hoc interview with KSTP
3. Regent talks to Star Tribune
4. Coach talks to the media until they have no other questions
5. 10 Suspensions prior to bowl remain in place

Why the hell was this not the process in the seconds after this was all announced to the public? Just because the details of this leaked in no way changes the responsibilities of those in charge, yet here we are...getting information.

Because the AD tried to say Tracy did it.. and hid under his desk all fall. This is going on four months now. Has Coyle said anything other than the players work sooo hard, the coaches work sooo hard and he supports them. That might be fine if he really did with leadership and actions. The hockey coach popped off about the AD once he had his contract, guessing Tracy may too once he gets his.

On channel 4 just now they quoted Claeys as saying he had not read the report when the boycott started. He also said Coyle shared with him what was in the report when they met to discuss the suspensions.

So Claeys was part of suspension discussion as Coyle stated.

My impressions: Tracy is a good guy, I like Tracy. I think he is smart and thoughtful. I just think he got thrown into a position, that he had pretty much no experience in, and that's not something that should happen at a Power 5 school.

Very impressed with the first half of that interview, as it went on I was less impressed. He's a good guy, just not a head coach, and I don't think he'll make it long term, and by that I mean until the end of next season. It will be a great story if he does! He truly seems like a genuine, good human being.

My impressions: Tracy is a good guy, I like Tracy. I think he is smart and thoughtful. I just think he got thrown into a position, that he had pretty much no experience in, and that's not something that should happen at a Power 5 school.

Very impressed with the first half of that interview, as it went on I was less impressed. He's a good guy, just not a head coach, and I don't think he'll make it long term, and by that I mean until the end of next season. It will be a great story if he does! He truly seems like a genuine, good human being.

You speak with forked tongue. The underlying truth is you think Claeys sucks as a coach, but is a likeable guy.
I say that Claeys is the best we've had in years and the best we'll be able to get for the next five years...unless you want Tim Brewster back as coach.

I've had my doubts about Claeys as the answer at head coach but he has been the best representative at the U through this debacle. Very proud of him and the team for taking their stand and making this a much discussed and publicized issue. Tracy is probably the bravest, most open, most thoughtful person that has been visible throughout and he has taken the time to explain all the issues not just one side. Kaler has failed. Coyle has failed.

Power 5 schools hire Power 5 coordinators with no head coaching experience quite frequently.

I've had my doubts about Claeys as the answer at head coach but he has been the best representative at the U through this debacle. Very proud of him and the team for taking their stand and making this a much discussed and publicized issue. Tracy is probably the bravest, most open, most thoughtful person that has been visible throughout and he has taken the time to explain all the issues not just one side. Kaler has failed. Coyle has failed.

Yes. 100%. He is the only one at the University that has shown a shred of leadership in terms of how this situation can take any sort of positive path forward. The sad thing is that if you look at commentary from those at the very periphery of this topic, TC gets absolutely savaged and MC and EK get a free pass.

On channel 4 just now they quoted Claeys as saying he had not read the report when the boycott started. He also said Coyle shared with him what was in the report when they met to discuss the suspensions.

So Claeys was part of suspension discussion as Coyle stated.

"Part of the discussion"? If Coyle told Claeys that "we're gonna suspend them" even if Claeys argued against that suspensions, particularly for the "Non-Five",yes he would still have been part of that discussion.

If, as is most likely, he was told that they were gonna suspend the players period, that the decision is already been made, then he was not part of the suspension discussion. It was more of a pro forma presentation. Oh, and SPECULATION SUPREME, an attempt to recruit Claeys to (hyperbole warning!) the Dark Side.

"Part of the discussion"? If Coyle told Claeys that "we're gonna suspend them" even if Claeys argued against that suspensions, particularly for the "Non-Five",yes he would still have been part of that discussion.

If, as is most likely, he was told that they were gonna suspend the players period, that the decision is already been made, then he was not part of the suspension discussion. It was more of a pro forma presentation. Oh, and SPECULATION SUPREME, an attempt to recruit Claeys to (hyperbole warning!) the Dark Side.

Yes, in his press conference Claeys was asked if he was consulted. He said something to the effect of yes, he and Coyle talked beforehand, but "it depends on your definition of consulted."

You speak with forked tongue. The underlying truth is you think Claeys sucks as a coach, but is a likeable guy.
I say that Claeys is the best we've had in years and the best we'll be able to get for the next five years...unless you want Tim Brewster back as coach.

I don't think Claeys sucks as a coach, I just have higher expectations than you. I think Claeys is a good coach, I don't think coach Claeys is a very good head coach. But your willing to hire a coach with no head coaching experience ala just like Tim Brewster, and with his only power 5 experience as a coordinator at Minnesota. Using Tim Brewster as your benchmark is not exactly a good thing. You shouldn't live in fear of that. And saying Tracy Claeys is a better head coach than Jerry Kill, or even Glen Mason is just ridiculous to me. But let's see how your theory pans out over the next 10 games.

Power 5 schools hire Power 5 coordinators with no head coaching experience quite frequently.

And a lot of those coordinators come from schools like Minnesota right?

I don't think Claeys sucks as a coach, I just have higher expectations than you. I think Claeys is a good coach, I don't think coach Claeys is a very good head coach. But your willing to hire a coach with no head coaching experience ala just like Tim Brewster, and with his only power 5 experience as a coordinator at Minnesota. Using Tim Brewster as your benchmark is not exactly a good thing. You shouldn't live in fear of that. And saying Tracy Claeys is a better head coach than Jerry Kill, or even Glen Mason is just ridiculous to me. But let's see how your theory pans out over the next 10 games.

You better go cheer on Alabama cause the best coach Minnesota can get is actually coaching here. That is solely because of 50 years of mis-management by Presidents and ADs. I choose reality over fantasy.
Any failure for next season falls squarely upon Coyle and Kaler.

My feelings as well. Head coaching at this level is not just about X's and O's. I think Claeys is a really good coordinator, but we didn't learn the Brewster lesson very well.

PE, so Claeys is the only turd that floats. Hardly a ringing endorsement.

Tracy Claeys has a better winning percentage at Minnesota (both overall and Big Ten) than Glen Mason and Jerry Kill. He has the highest overall winning percentage of any Minnesota football coach since Bernie Bierman and the highest Big Ten winning percentage of any Minnesota football coach since Cal Stoll. But yes, let's fire him as soon as possible.

September 10 Claeys suspends 4 players that we then learn on 9/12 are part of a sexual assault investigation.

Also on 9/10 we play Indiana State and for those of us that follow the team closely, we are excited to see mop up time and presumably the first carries by the North Dakota kid or the Canadian running back. Instead, the mop up carries go to Djam. The coaching staff knows enough to suspend four participants but either is clueless about Djam's role or ... is rewarding his team first work ethic?

Top Bottom