Tracy Claeys on Sports Huddle 9-4-16

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Sid: despite mistakes you thought team played well?
TC: we didn't get started very well. need to score points in 1st qtr. Two bad snaps - gotta get taken care of. Drew drops a punt, leads to a TD. targeting penalties a problem - need to address that. Defense - had coverage busted, led to big plays. we'll get to work on it - good thing about playing on Thursday, you have a couple of extra days to prepare for next game. thought there was some good things we did in game.

Sid: what about freshmen who played?
TC: Colton Beebe good blocking. Tyler Johnson 3 catches - expect him to do that every week. T Devers two big sacks. Winfield played well on special teams. they will have impact all season. couple other FR who will play in future when healthy.

Sid: Center position?
TC: not going to make a change yet. bad snaps unacceptable. hasn't been a problem in practice. if it continues to be a problem, we'll make a change.

Sid: Lingen, Brooks back this week?
TC: Lingen cleared to practice. Brooks has doctor's appt Tuesday morning. hope he'll get cleared. we'll know more later in week.

Dave: targeting calls?
TC: two in 2nd half - sit out 1st half this week. Devers - playing shorter QB - has to lower pad level when he goes in - hit him between the numbers to the thighs. tough deal playing full speed. Celestin - QB scrambles, goes down late, slides, ends up hitting him high. two guys going full speed. got to try to avoid him. Cody - leaves feet, going to call that every time. he knows you can't do that.

Sid: any changes in starting lineup?
TC: we did some good things in the game. came back, outscored them 13-0 in 4th qtr. held their offense down the 2nd half. offense didn't turn ball over - no sacks or interceptions. we just made some critical errors - got to get that taken care of.

Dave: 2 pt decision?
TC: we practice that as team. have momentum on your side. over 65% on 2-pts - we didn't get it, but played good defense. need 3 yards to close game out.

Sid: did kids take other team lightly?
TC: no. didn't know what they were going to come out with. that's what's hard about 1st game. we kept fighting and playing. just a few kids made critical errors. played hard as team. we competed. get to work on mistakes.

Sid: will you be redshirting anyone?
TC: that's what you use non-conf for (to evaluate players). will make those decisions after this game, or maybe the next week. if we decide to play any freshmen in games, will try to get them ready for Colo State, or the Conference season.

Sid: all that matters is that you won the game. (starts to ask another question, but Dave Mona says they're out of time).

Thank you.

Brooks has doctor's appt Tuesday morning. hope he'll get cleared. we'll know more later in week.

That seems too quick.

Thank you.

Brooks has doctor's appt Tuesday morning. hope he'll get cleared. we'll know more later in week.

That seems too quick.

It does if you assume that the "leak" of him playing last Thursday was just gamesmanship. My guess is that if he is cleared, he will practice, but not play till the CSU game.

As always, thaknk you S.O.N. for providing this report. I don't post it enough, but I really appreciate you, DL65, and others for providing these summarys. While I am at it thank you to BleedGopher for all of the links and Gophericious(sp?) and others for the photo countdown thread!

We dont need him until Penn State. Don't mess around with foot injuries. C'mon Claeys.

Thanks SON.

How many true freshmen will play this season? Claeys seems true to his word that he'll play the best players true freshmen ala Tyler Jonson & Tai'yon Devers.

What is the status of Carter Coughlin with his injury? He is not listed as a Redshirt Freshann yet.

Thanks SON.

I'm not concerned about the physical health of the team at this point but am concerned with all the mental mistakes. There is a lot to clean up and fortunately we have the Sycamores and what appears to be a terrible Rams team to sort things out. While every team has issues in the first game, we seem to have more than one would normally expect. They always say the biggest jump comes between games one and two and I expect there to be a quantum leap in terms of improved play.

Thanks SON.

How many true freshmen will play this season? Claeys seems true to his word that he'll play the best players true freshmen ala Tyler Jonson & Tai'yon Devers.

What is the status of Carter Coughlin with his injury? He is not listed as a Redshirt Freshann yet.

Huh? He's a true freshman. Nobody will be listed as a red shirt freshman until they enter their second season after not playing in their true freshman season.

Claeys also mentioned 3rd down conversions as a positive, 47% at 8/17. Also saw where Leidner said the first so many plays were scripted because Johnson wanted to see how the D would react. Also said that most of those plays were runs. Too bad we squandered great field position on 1st 2 possessions and a chance to jump up early. Not sure that the scripting helped either, in the end it was Smith and Leidner making something out of nothing. Hope the O improves immensely over next 2-3 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huh? He's a true freshman. Nobody will be listed as a red shirt freshman until they enter their second season after not playing in their true freshman season.

Redshirting. A very easy concept that so many struggle with for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watch the replay. The first 3 plays the Beavers had 8 in the box. This is really BS on Johnson's part, especially after the great KO return. I can see one run,. but the other sets were pure Limegrover.

I don't see the reason behind scripting the first dozen or so plays... Ditch the dumb idea cause if it would work y not script the whole game ... Just not a good idea , you'll fine out soon enough if your defense will be good/great..

Watch the replay. The first 3 plays the Beavers had 8 in the box. This is really BS on Johnson's part, especially after the great KO return. I can see one run,. but the other sets were pure Limegrover.
Yeah, I agree -- in my opinion, you scrap the script with field position like that, especially when it became obvious OSU was loading the box. You've gotta go for the jugular against a bad team after an opening return like that.

But scripting isn't so simple as some are assuming. The OC is asking tons of questions like, what will they do against this motion, how will they defend trips, how will they line up against flanker, what if we go tempo, shotgun vs pistol, what if we flip X and Z, etc. You can learn a ton in the first 5 - 10 plays. That being said, you can learn a lot of that and not go 3 and out...

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

We dont need him until Penn State. Don't mess around with foot injuries. C'mon Claeys.

8/9 - Shannon missed practice.
8/10 - Report that he would miss 3-5 weeks.
9/10 - ISU (4 weeks)
9/24 - CSU (6 weeks)
10/1 - PSU (7 weeks)

Sure we don't need him for ISU and probably CSU. But if the initial reports/doctors' povs are trustworthy, I'd feel it's unfair to him to sit him anyway.

8/9 - Shannon missed practice.
8/10 - Report that he would miss 3-5 weeks.
9/10 - ISU (4 weeks)
9/24 - CSU (6 weeks)
10/1 - PSU (7 weeks)

Sure we don't need him for ISU and probably CSU. But if the initial reports/doctors' povs are trustworthy, I'd feel it's unfair to him to sit him anyway.

You don't play 3 weeks after having a screw inserted for a broken bone. That "3-5 week" thing was total BS from the get-go. Maybe they meant 3-5 weeks of the season. Coach's goading players to come back too early is not a good thing IMO.

You don't play 3 weeks after having a screw inserted for a broken bone. That "3-5 week" thing was total BS from the get-go. Maybe they meant 3-5 weeks of the season. Coach's goading players to come back too early is not a good thing IMO.

What do you do for a living? If it's not medical, than I'd say your opinion might be more fear motivated. Edit: (Not that I don't cringe at the thought of him playing early, because I do.) Point being, if you're right - then we can never trust this staff when it comes to injuries.

After re-watching the game...
"need to score points in 1st qtr. Two bad snaps - gotta get taken care of. Drew drops a punt, leads to a TD. targeting penalties a problem - need to address that. Defense - had coverage busted, led to big plays."
Also the offensive line penalties and that is it in a nutshell. Could have beat that team by a couple of touchdowns or more.

Just as, if not more likely, Claeys could be just keeping opponents thinking that he may play.

I suspect they'll be careful with Brooks, if he's cleared tomorrow, they will limit practices this week and then use the bye week to get him up to speed. I think they'll have him by CSU. Lingen's been cleared for contact and will have a full week of practice so a limited role might be possible this week. We will likely have both of them back by CSU, the big injury question marks now are, Still and Rallis.

I suspect they'll be careful with Brooks, if he's cleared tomorrow, they will limit practices this week and then use the bye week to get him up to speed. I think they'll have him by CSU. Lingen's been cleared for contact and will have a full week of practice so a limited role might be possible this week. We will likely have both of them back by CSU, the big injury question marks now are, Still and Rallis.

That play that he was hurt on.....wow...can't believe the ref did not call that.

That play that he was hurt on.....wow...can't believe the ref did not call that.

Yea, that play on Stills required a new call! It wasn't pass interference, it was a mugging.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Every injury and the response to treatment is unique.
The only certain thing is that too early a return to the activity that a RB has to do is a certain setback.
There should be no pressure from anyone on the staff.
I'm sure his physician has given him advice about what warning symptoms he has to heed when he returns.

Top Bottom