Tracy Claeys defense

IrishGoph55

Reaction score
I wish we didn’t end on such a sour note with Tracy Claeys (kinda did him dirty). I love Fleck but wish Claeys would come back as our D Coordinator and defensive recruiter. Obviously it would never happen but we are missing the toughness on our defense that Claeys/ Grumpy Kill recruited. A Fleck offense (besides tonight) with a Kill/ Claeys defense would be perfect........

Last edited:

Iowa uses a lot of perfectly legal pick plays to get guys open. We did some of that last year.

I too wish we could bring back a coach who was an embarrassment to the university
Meh...I’m from California (pops is from Minnesota so naturally I’m a Gopher fan) and I can tell you no one outside of The Twin Cities (Gophs unfortunately don’t even have a statewide fan base) even remembers nor cares about the 16’ scandal, people just remember a solid Holiday Bowl win. Come on Claeys come out of retirement baby woohoo

Meh...I’m from California (pops is from Minnesota so naturally I’m a Gopher fan) and I can tell you no one outside of The Twin Cities (Gophs unfortunately don’t even have a statewide fan base) even remembers nor cares about the 16’ scandal, people just remember a solid Holiday Bowl win. Come on Claeys come out of retirement baby woohoo
If people in California don’t care it doesn’t make him less of an embarrassment

But by all means let’s bring him back so we can alternate 8-4 and 5-7 seasons to eternity

Retirement? He's a LB coach for a 4-3 team...

5 wins >1
5-7 in his first year =3-5 this year

11 wins any year > 9 wins any year

And we haven’t been on outside the lines either.

honestly if you want fleck gone. I get it. Fleck isn’t for everyone, he is annoying

anyone Who longs for the days of Kill and claeys is an idiot

If people in California don’t care it doesn’t make him less of an embarrassment

But by all means let’s bring him back so we can alternate 8-4 and 5-7 seasons to eternity
Coordinator/ defensive recruiter, as mentioned in my original post. Obviously it would and could never happen as I also mentioned in my original post...... honestly, I’m just mad at how bad our defense has looked with Flecks recruits this season and im throwing a tantrum and rambling. Don’t mind me. I’m Sorry.

Coordinator/ defensive recruiter, as mentioned in my original post. Obviously it would and could never happen as I also mentioned in my original post...... honestly, I’m just mad at how bad our defense has looked with Flecks recruits this season and im throwing a tantrum and rambling. Don’t mind me. I’m Sorry.
I think people forget all the times that the defense let us down in that time

It was an above average defense but it wasn’t too special.
Hence why we were over .500 in the big ten like twice in the era and never better than 5-3

I think people forget all the times that the defense let us down in that time

It was an above average defense but it wasn’t too special.
Hence why we were over .500 in the big ten like twice in the era and never better than 5-3
Bold claim to lay the fault at the hands of the defense for never being better than 5-3.

It’s more likely that Trump becomes Biden’s VP than for Claeys to be PJ’s defensive coordinator. Please, let it die.

This team will be awful next year too in PJ's 5th year.

This is very insightful, but we need more of a business case.

Please provide more details on why we'll be awful next year.
Name names on players who will suck worse (or at least as equally as this year) to build your case.

You seem to have more knowledge than most of us, so don't be selfish with it. Let us know so the case to improve the program can start ASAP!

It’s more likely that Trump becomes Biden’s VP than for Claeys to be PJ’s defensive coordinator. Please, let it die.
Buuuuttttttt......Trump can just declare himself to be Biden's VP, can't he?

I honestly thought Claeys could coach... but he's just not a recruiter, and thus did not make a good Head Coach. And to be fair, Fleck is a good recruiter, but he just isn't a good Head Coach (in my humble opinion). I put him an a category above Kill, as he is a great motivator and better recruiter, but needs to rely on his coordinators also, like Kill with Claeys. Now that Fleck doesn't have Ciarrocca, it's looking more and more like a dumpster fire on offense. I'm not saying they were great great coaches, but they had been together a long time and worked great together.

I honestly thought Claeys could coach... but he's just not a recruiter, and thus did not make a good Head Coach. And to be fair, Fleck is a good recruiter, but he just isn't a good Head Coach (in my humble opinion). I put him an a category above Kill, as he is a great motivator and better recruiter, but needs to rely on his coordinators also, like Kill with Claeys. Now that Fleck doesn't have Ciarrocca, it's looking more and more like a dumpster fire on offense. I'm not saying they were great great coaches, but they had been together a long time and worked great together.

I think Claeys was a good coach.
Bad leader / bad runner of an organization.
Ok recruiter at his best.

This is very insightful, but we need more of a business case.

Please provide more details on why we'll be awful next year.
Name names on players who will suck worse (or at least as equally as this year) to build your case.

You seem to have more knowledge than most of us, so don't be selfish with it. Let us know so the case to improve the program can start ASAP!
Morgan has regressed.....The only WR that can play will be in the NFL....O line will be worse with graduation...There is no talent on this defense and one more year of experience is not helping that.....Good enough for you?

Just wish our defense looked somewhat competent, just shows how much the Empire class meant for us. Hoping for another class like that soon

Morgan has regressed.....The only WR that can play will be in the NFL....O line will be worse with graduation...There is no talent on this defense and one more year of experience is not helping that.....Good enough for you?

So all of the defensive players need to be replaced?
Or just 8 or 9?
Please be clear on who.

We'll cut the cord then on CAB and Daniel Jackson and Brown-Stephens. Sounds like you've seen enough of them.

Top Bottom