Tough Recruiting right now

MNSpaniel

Reaction score
I feel terrible for all the people affected by the situation that is going on in the Metro area right now. I hope justice is done, families eventually heal and solutions can be found for problems that cause these situations.

Without any minimizing of the situations and all the unrest in the Metro area .... coaches still have to go on and do their jobs. It must be really difficult to recruit players to the U of Minnesota right now or even in the past year .

I think we equate any and everything with recruiting.

I suspect think what really impacts recruiting ultimately is the skill of the coaches at recruiting and some sort of amorphous school legacy ... and that's it.

Uniforms, cookouts, weather... someone has a big waterfall at the entrance to their facility ... folks will count everything as a recruiting factor, I think it is difficult to tell if that really has an overall impact.

Last edited:

Yep, here we go again....
qbXfLGo.gif

I think it would be pretty easy to negatively recruit against Minnesota right now and that is an "Oh boy" in this situation.

Hope you are correct ... I have been watching some of the morning ESPN shows that last few days and they have really been trashing the state of MN.

I think it would be pretty easy to negatively recruit against Minnesota right now and that is an "Oh boy" in this situation.
I think it is easy to 'try'... not sure how responsive anyone will be.

Like you could say anything negative before too..... it's not like MN regularly brings in bigtime croots as it is.

I feel terrible for all the people affected by the situation that is going on in the Metro area right now. I hope justice is done, families eventually heal and solutions can be found for problems that cause these situations.

Without any minimizing of the situations and all the unrest in the Metro area .... coaches still have to go on and do their jobs. It must be really difficult to recruit players to the U of Minnesota right now or even in the past year .

Nah, it's not that bad. Look at a state like WI for example, it's a much more racist state and there is a large KKK population there. So by your theory, PJ should just say to black recruits, why go to Wisconsin, the KKK is very predominant there.

Nah, it's not that bad. Look at a state like WI for example, it's a much more racist state and there is a large KKK population there. So by your theory, PJ should just say to black recruits, why go to Wisconsin, the KKK is very predominant there.

Why go to Wisconsin, making of a murderer was filmed there

It just seems we are in the national news on a daily basis and not for good reasons ... and it has been for an extended period. Just thought it made a tough job a little tougher.

PJ Fleck is on top of things. Ben Johnson doesn't seem to have a tough time recruiting. It is tough to recruit anywhere if you make it so.

Minneapolis is a barometer for the rest of the country. What happened here can happen anywhere.

PJ Fleck is on top of things. Ben Johnson doesn't seem to have a tough time recruiting. It is tough to recruit anywhere if you make it so.

Minneapolis is a barometer for the rest of the country. What happened here can happen anywhere.
It would be interesting to hear someone try to spin it. It could easily backfire seem really kinda messed up if the player is at all aware:

Coach: "Oh man you know that stuff that happens in Minneapolis...."

Player: "What stuff, racism? You think that happens only there?"

I don't doubt someone would try, and I doubt a player wold call them out on it ... but it's such a hot button topic I kinda wonder if other recruiters might want to avoid negative recruiting that aspect .... just in case word got out.

It could look really bad ... who wants to take that chance? / There are plenty of other things to talk about....

It would be interesting to hear someone try to spin it. It could easily backfire seem really kinda messed up if the player is at all aware:

Coach: "Oh man you know that stuff that happens in Minneapolis...."

Player: "What stuff, racism? You think that happens only there?"

I don't doubt someone would try, and I doubt a player wold call them out on it ... but it's such a hot button topic I kinda wonder if other recruiters might want to avoid negative recruiting that aspect .... just in case word got out.

It could look really bad if word got out ... who wants to take that chance? / There is plenty of other things to talk about....
Yeah if I'm a recruiter I'm keeping conversations on basketball.

Sports will go on across the country in spite of all the race relations issues. It doesn't stop players from playing for Georgia or Minnesota for that matter.

The nation has to look deep into its soul in regards to race relations and bias practices in banking, housing, etc...

No one should fear for their lives when they see the police who are sworn to protect citizens equally regardless of skin color.

Brilliant.

One could view the situation in the TC as indicative of racist law enforcement, or as a populace very concerned about racial inequality and thus a positive place for a Black man to attend school.

I hope PJ preaches to all his players, if you're confronted by the police, do not resist arrest. If you feel you're innocent, fight that in court. In a courtroom you could win. On the street, fighting with law enforcement who didn't create the laws, no one wins. Not you. Not them.

Situations like this aren't created in a vacuum called Minnesota. They happen everywhere among a large volume of circumstances. Some incidents draw more political and media attention than others, but that doesn't negate what the University of Minnesota can offer.

Thugs gonna thug, they can go to the SEC. Gopher football players are examples to the community.

Not for nothing, but the current coach preaches this sort of thing constantly. If you don't like the way the world looks, do something today to change the way the world looks. "Change your best" "Row the boat" et al. If any of these transfers or high school prospects feel like they want to reshape reality, this is not only the coach for them, but also exactly where they should want to be. At the epicenter for social / cultural change.

Who's a thug?

thug
/THəɡ/
noun

a violent person, especially a criminal.
1. Someone who broke into a single mother's house, held a gun to her pregnant stomach while her small child watch as he robbed her then beat her senselessly?
2. Someone who committed armed robbery and aggravated assault?

1. Someone who broke into a single mother's house, held a gun to her pregnant stomach while her small child watch as he robbed her then beat her senselessly?
2. Someone who committed armed robbery and aggravated assault?
He was being recruited by Gophers football?

Well, let's say this.

If there was a black recruit, and that recruit said he would only consider attending a school in a community where there was no racism, where does he go?

the incidents in Mpls have obviously drawn a lot of attention. So I suppose it's possible that some recruit might say "I'm not going to play for the Gophers because I don't want to be shot by the cops in MN."

But - (warning - cynical take coming) - I think most recruits are focused on playing time and which school gives them the best chance to make it to the NFL. And - which coaching staff they feel the most comfortable with. I'm sure there are top-100 recruits who follow these issues and don't like what they see happening in MN. But, I'm also sure that is NOT a major concern for the vast majority of recruits.

Well, let's say this.

If there was a black recruit, and that recruit said he would only consider attending a school in a community where there was no racism, where does he go?

the incidents in Mpls have obviously drawn a lot of attention. So I suppose it's possible that some recruit might say "I'm not going to play for the Gophers because I don't want to be shot by the cops in MN."

But - (warning - cynical take coming) - I think most recruits are focused on playing time and which school gives them the best chance to make it to the NFL. And - which coaching staff they feel the most comfortable with. I'm sure there are top-100 recruits who follow these issues and don't like what they see happening in MN. But, I'm also sure that is NOT a major concern for the vast majority of recruits.
At the risk of throwing a curve into the discussion, I grew up a scrawny white kid in a very white NW suburb of Minneapolis in the late 60's-early 70's. I was certainly nothing to fear. That said, before I started to drive, my uncle, who was a Minneapolis detective, gave me some excellent advice. He said if I was ever stopped by the police, I was to keep my hands where the officer could see them and everything out of my mouth was yes sir and no sir; following any of their directions explicitly. I learned from him that cooperating with the police is always the best way to handle myself in those situations. As well, he explained to me that everytime a police officer makes a traffic stop they are potentially putting their life at risk, so they approach those situations accordingly. To this day, I've kept that perspective in mind when getting stopped by the police. Life long advice from a 33 year veteran of the Minneapolis Police Dept. who drew his weapon hundreds of times in his career and never once fired it.

Top Bottom