Tough Recruiting right now

At the risk of throwing a curve into the discussion, I grew up a scrawny white kid in a very white NW suburb of Minneapolis in the late 60's-early 70's. I was certainly nothing to fear. That said, before I started to drive, my uncle, who was a Minneapolis detective, gave me some excellent advice. He said if I was ever stopped by the police, I was to keep my hands where the officer could see them and everything out of my mouth was yes sir and no sir; following any of their directions explicitly. I learned from him that cooperating with the police is always the best way to handle myself in those situations. As well, he explained to me that everytime a police officer makes a traffic stop they are potentially putting their life at risk, so they approach those situations accordingly. To this day, I've kept that perspective in mind when getting stopped by the police. Life long advice from a 33 year veteran of the Minneapolis Police Dept. who drew his weapon hundreds of times in his career and never once fired it.

100%. Even if an officer is being a jerk....just say "yes sir/ma'am, no sir/ma'am" and obey. It's a tough job....and the best way to get a stop done with as quickly and as painlessly as possible is do as you're told.

At the risk of throwing a curve into the discussion, I grew up a scrawny white kid in a very white NW suburb of Minneapolis in the late 60's-early 70's. I was certainly nothing to fear. That said, before I started to drive, my uncle, who was a Minneapolis detective, gave me some excellent advice. He said if I was ever stopped by the police, I was to keep my hands where the officer could see them and everything out of my mouth was yes sir and no sir; following any of their directions explicitly. I learned from him that cooperating with the police is always the best way to handle myself in those situations. As well, he explained to me that everytime a police officer makes a traffic stop they are potentially putting their life at risk, so they approach those situations accordingly. To this day, I've kept that perspective in mind when getting stopped by the police. Life long advice from a 33 year veteran of the Minneapolis Police Dept. who drew his weapon hundreds of times in his career and never once fired it.
Cooperating ... but don't offer any extra information either ... concent to searches and etc...

I really believe Fleck is the kind of full spectrum leader who can help our black athletes navigate the minefield out there.

I think we equate any and everything with recruiting.

I suspect think what really impacts recruiting ultimately is the skill of the coaches at recruiting and some sort of amorphous school legacy ... and that's it.

Uniforms, cookouts, weather... someone has a big waterfall at the entrance to their facility ... folks will count everything as a recruiting factor, I think it is difficult to tell if that really has an overall impact.

This is right on. I suspect coaches and winning are by far the biggest aspects of recruiting. Then there is a bunch of minor factors that probably go either way with most recruits.

Top Bottom