Top Ten reasons why the opener should sell out.

Add me to that group. There are many, many Gopher fans who could not care less about the vikings or the NFL in general, or for whom their NFL allegiances are secondary to Gopher football. Whether the Gophers would win a game against the Vikings is not the point.

It's been stated many times that in modern professional sports, all you're cheering for is a jersey. The players turn over so fast, you hardly get to know them. The players don't even care about the rivalries anymore.

I would 1,000 times over rather go to a Gophers game at the Bank than a Vikings game at the dome. It's not even close.

I definitely cheer for the jersey when it comes to the Vikings. Don't get me wrong, I bleed me some purple and gold. But mostly it's maroon and gold for the reasons quoted above. With the Gophers, those players are Gophers FOR LIFE. Now days, NFL players don't have any semblance of what pride is. Only what's in their pocketbook.

I used to be a hard core Vikings fan. The weird thing is, since I stopped being so emotionally invested in the Purple, I found myself enjoying watching football a lot more. I love the Gophers, and I've started to enjoy the random college game that I never would have watched before. I loved watching UMD win the D2 title last year as well.

Oh, and my NFL allegiance has more or less switched to the Seahawks over the last few years. I've always been a fan since I was a kid (Steve Largent was my favorite player growing up). Even though I cringed when they signed Tavaris Jackson...

On to the topic title..

Lets not forget whatever number we are on now: Coach Kill has been handing out free tickets to students on campus this afternoon.

The biggest reason the game should sell out is Nebraska fans did our work for us and bought a ton of tickets to the game.

Top Bottom