Top 5 most overrated bands/artists

I hate Bon Jovi so much.

My house was a lot of Simon and Garfunkel and Anne Murray.

Up through the vents came Led Zepplin and the Beatles.
Paul Simon is top 5 for me.

I don't know if it exactly fits with the "overrated" label, but I lived through the "bubblegum rock" era of the late 60's. a lot of studio groups churning out crap aimed at the teen market under various names - the Archies were among the worst.

I mean, in 1969, the #1 single for the year was "Sugar, Sugar" by the Archies - beating out songs like "Honky Tonk Woman" by the Stones or "Everyday People" by Sly and the Family Stone.

and yes, I'm old enough that I remember sitting up on New Year's Eve listening to the local top 40 station play down the top 100 songs of the year.

There were weird smells coming up through the vents while Stairway to Heaven played in my house as well.
I'm envisioning there must have been lava lamp in the basement.

I'm right there with ya on 80s hair bands. What has nine arms and sucks?
But I also think 90s grunge is also overrated.
Though I don't think either has aged well. Do people still listen to that stuff? So...accurately rated?

A couple exchanges between my ex-wife and me:

Ex-wife: I love Bon Jovi. It was something my whole family liked growing up.
Me: Oh yeah? That was Cat Stevens for us.

Me: Who did Jump? Was that Van Halen?
Ex-wife: [gives me the most incredulous look I've ever received]
I mean...I was right, but the fact that I even had to ask.

Basically why I said grunge era. A few bands did it very well.....and then there was a whole soup of bands that were very very generic and forgettable. But fuzzy distorted guitars over loud drums just sounds good to me.

I'm envisioning there must have been lava lamp in the basement.
Bumper Pool table. Round rugs. Ratty couch. Massive t.v. that weighed about 100 pounds. Yes...lava lamps. Beads hanging in between the tv room and laundry room. Then my older brother's room. Very off limits.

Bumper Pool table. Round rugs. Ratty couch. Massive t.v. that weighed about 100 pounds. Yes...lava lamps. Beads hanging in between the tv room and laundry room. Then my older brother's room. Very off limits.
Ahh, TV repair was so nice back then. If the first fix didn’t work, you could just hit it harder.

Beatles way overrated. Blackbird was their only good song. From that era, Beachboys and Four Seasons much better.

Beatles way overrated. Blackbird was their only good song. From that era, Beachboys and Four Seasons much better.

Tonight The Grammys Salute to the Beach Boys is now going to be on CBS at 7:48 Central because the Masters Coverage ran long.

Tonight The Grammys Salute to the Beach Boys is now going to be on CBS at 7:48 Central because the Masters Coverage ran long.

Just saw your post, thanks. Can still catch some of it. 🙂

I have a new #1 overrated band: Neutral Milk Hotel! I just don't get it. It's like they're purposely playing their instruments poorly. I think namedropping NMH is just a way for hipsters to sound hip.

Top Bottom