Tom Powers: P.J. Fleck may have just hit career roadblock

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Powers:

Yet Fleck blew in like a typhoon and promptly threatened to upend everyone’s lives. This young man does not lack confidence. In fact, I’d say he is the Muhammad Ali of college coaches. He tells you exactly what he is going to accomplish and advises you to get there early and grab a good seat. Because it is going to be awesome.

To be honest, I love that type of personality. In so many ways and in so many places, I see Fleck as the near-perfect football coach. He creates enthusiasm and energy. He can rally a program, a community, a state. His moral standards appear high. His concern appears genuine. And he truly believes all the hokey things he says. In short, if it were up to me I’d sign this guy to a long-term contract and then get out of his way. There is just one problem:

This is the wrong place for him.

I feel bad for the guy. Fleck is dynamic, full of enthusiasm. He has big ideas. All he needs is a live audience to bring out his best. Meanwhile, everybody around here is pretty much dead. The enthusiasm has been beaten out of them. From the Norwood Teague fiasco to Jerry Kill’s illness to the sex scandal, it’s been one body blow after another. And all that comes after decades of mediocrity.

Fleck would be outstanding at a program that has an energetic fan base with big visions. He could conquer the world with hordes of wild-eyed fans willing to get behind him. In his short career he has proven to be an expert at riding waves of expectations.

Here? Well, so many people are tired. Even more are jaded. I’m afraid young Mr. Fleck may have hit a career roadblock.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/01/07/tom-powers-p-j-fleck-may-have-just-hit-career-roadblock/

Go Gophers!!

No doubt it's the #1 challenge along with a football supporting administration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe the media should accept some of the responsibility too

Give me a break. "Career roadblock," lol?! People here have been craving a winner for decades. Kill and Co filled the stadium almost every game in 2014. During their tenure, games like Syracuse, TCU, Michigan...the energy in those crowds equaled anything you're likely to experience at other places. They even got about 20k to attend the Citrus Bowl. People will support Fleck in droves if he wins. Period. Get this team to Indy or a Rose Bowl and you're likely to see more maroon and gold than you can imagine. And Fleck will be as in demand as any coach in the country.

Yes, writing like and writers like this spread and reinforce the "dead" perception. Keeps people on the outside from coming inside.
College football is a great spectator and fan event.

I'm not a fan of the Fleck hire, bit the media in this town is so fricking poisonous

Powers probably wrote the article in less than 5 minutes. Negative articles easy to write. Asinine take.

5 straight bowl games, won the last two. The attendance isn't great, but there is worse attendance. I don't think the situation is so dire.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

I, for one, am not dead, nor even pretty much dead. Can't wait for the community to prove that Powers is wrong.

5 straight bowl games, won the last two. The attendance isn't great, but there is worse attendance. I don't think the situation is so dire.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Exactly. Watch a Purdue, Illinois, Northwestern, Rutgers, Maryland and sometimes Indiana game.

Powers suxs! "I like guys like Fleck". B.S. He should be barred from all practices, journalistic hater that will never support a positive idea about the UofM. Flecks personality will bring life to 15-45 year olds interest in Football again. It is old farts like him that will be naysayers, MOVE ASIDE!

The lnew also are very much in the "show me" mode when it comes to Gopher football but if/when they actually break through and win the conference the excitement for this program will be off the charts.

I’m afraid young Mr. Fleck may have hit a career roadblock.

Powers is a trip.

per Powers:

Yet Fleck blew in like a typhoon and promptly threatened to upend everyone’s lives. This young man does not lack confidence. In fact, I’d say he is the Muhammad Ali of college coaches. He tells you exactly what he is going to accomplish and advises you to get there early and grab a good seat. Because it is going to be awesome.

To be honest, I love that type of personality. In so many ways and in so many places, I see Fleck as the near-perfect football coach. He creates enthusiasm and energy. He can rally a program, a community, a state. His moral standards appear high. His concern appears genuine. And he truly believes all the hokey things he says. In short, if it were up to me I’d sign this guy to a long-term contract and then get out of his way. There is just one problem:

I feel bad for the guy. Fleck is dynamic, full of enthusiasm. He has big ideas. All he needs is a live audience to bring out his best. Meanwhile, everybody around here is pretty much dead. The enthusiasm has been beaten out of them. From the Norwood Teague fiasco to Jerry Kill’s illness to the sex scandal, it’s been one body blow after another. And all that comes after decades of mediocrity.

Fleck would be outstanding at a program that has an energetic fan base with big visions. He could conquer the world with hordes of wild-eyed fans willing to get behind him. In his short career he has proven to be an expert at riding waves of expectations.

Here? Well, so many people are tired. Even more are jaded. I’m afraid young Mr. Fleck may have hit a career roadblock.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/01/07/tom-powers-p-j-fleck-may-have-just-hit-career-roadblock/

Go Gophers!!
Just because the baby boomers are dying doesn't mean everyone else is

Powers suxs! "I like guys like Fleck". B.S. He should be barred from all practices, journalistic hater that will never support a positive idea about the UofM. Flecks personality will bring life to 15-45 year olds interest in Football again. It is old farts like him that will be naysayers, MOVE ASIDE!

Totally agree. This is the demographic that will carry and support Gopher Nation going forward. If Fleck can light a fire under them, we will be just fine.

Yep. Yet another perpetually negative Pioneer Press writer. Do they employee anything but negative curmudgeons over there who live to tear sh*t down? I used to like the paper a long time ago to provide balance to the super liberal STrib but just can't read it anymore without getting depressed.

How can someone say they like positive people while writing cynical, poisonous trash like this... and propose it be published in our community?

Powers may like people like Fleck. But, like most of our local sports media, he sure is the exact opposite.

It's been a difficult time, so we shouldn't try.

What a load of horse****.

So, is Tom Powers claiming to know how everyone else thinks, or, is he just claiming to be smarter than everyone else?

Whiny, negative article to show off cynicism - very typical of Twin Cities sports journalism. The same thing could have been said of Holtz's arrival after the worst season in history, and he pulled off miracles, drawing 40,000 to the spring game and vastly increasing season ticket sales. Enough of this whiny stuff already!

I'm not anti media, look at my posts. But Powers is the Eeyore of sportswriters. You may not like Reusse, Hartman, Russo, or Murphy, but they all have what Powers doesn't, and that is occasional moments of joy watching sports. Powers never seems to like what he does, and is always forecasting disappointment.

Powers should understand career roadblocks and dead enthusiasm firsthand.

In my lifetime we have zero Rose Bowls, one 10 win season (and that was soft) and more scandals, coaches, failures than I can remember.

I am ever hopeful that we turn the corner and I am ever thoughtful of the years of failures. Maybe Kaler/Coyle/Fleck will be our saviors and finally get us back to prominence. History suggest we are due, and likely to be disappointed.

But much like Charlie Brown, here we go again, hold that damn ball you bitc*h!

per Powers:

Go Gophers!!

Hey Tom take a hike. The new coaches enthusiasm will eat you up. So get loss and save yourself the embarrassment.

Powers, you're the tired one you fat fu-k. This is 1984 all over again and I'm along for ride for a second time.Neither you or your ink stained wretched colluges will dampen my spirits.

Negative articles are the classic "No Talent" move to get your deadline written and out the door. This particular one is a self fulfilling prophecy - we are all negative, tired, and jaded and now that he says it - it makes it even harder for Coach Fleck to overcome it which means that he can focus on the full line of "I told you so" articles ala Reusse.

Hopefully Fleck can take the Trump strategy and turn the people against the media. Lets get rid of these jokers as they provide no actual value beyond their self promotion and sensationalizing failure. They are like Trolls but we actually pay for the honor of reading their garbage. It will be fun to continue to watch their industry fail.

Powers, you're the tired one you fat fu-k. This is 1984 all over again and I'm along for ride for a second time.Neither you or your ink stained wretched colluges will dampen my spirits.

Really...look how that ended for us. I prefer its 1932 or 1954...hires that resulted in National Championships and Rose Bowls.

I am going to be way constipated if newspapers don't exist. You can only read lather rinse repeat so many times.

Twin cities media market is hilarious. It's a top 20 market but for some reason the media personalities seem to act / wish it was more like 50th. The length of time you can keep a job in minny with nothing but an old man coffee shop schtick is shocking. They seem to looove when the sports teams are bad.

Top Bottom