To those calling to fire PJ, who would you hire in his place?

PJ has a >.600 record at Minnesota and makes like 4.2M per year in a talent desert with crap fan support, awful local media, and no money.

I'm currently watching UCLA play USC in prime time. Chip makes $5M per year and has a <.500 record at UCLA, a school with a vastly easier recruiting pitch surrounded by talent.

TAMU just won its fourth game today. They paid a national championship winning coach $10M per year and won't be bowl eligibile.

PJ's Gophers stomped on MSU this year. They pay their coach $9M per year.

Anyone that thinks Minnesota gets better after firing PJ is either drunk or slow. Wouldn't pay any attention to it.
Probably true, but this product is mind numbing in how boring it is on the field. Unless you are a diehard, you will not be drawn in.

12 passes today. 10 points YAWN

Can't believe Fleck missed a 25 yard field goal and fumbled the ball st the 10 yard line smh
I can believe he was out of timeouts deep in Iowa territory before the half, though. This caused us to be rushed and almost panicky. Hey, let's just settle for the field goal. Geezez

I can believe he couldn't figure out a way to stop a TE.

I can believe he threw it a whole 12 times with this archaic pass offense.

Last edited:

Coyle won’t fire PJ, why? Because PJ got the players grades up. Coyle doesn’t seem like a guy who base his coaches on Ws & Ls. He should but he isn’t. He seem to be more of an academic guy to me. As long as the football team is getting them grades, PJ can do no wrong in Coyle’s eyes.

We be a 2-10 team for 5 years straight but our football team has a 3.3 cum GPA, Coyle be like “strong work PJ, you deserve an extension and raise!” 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’m actually not, just participating in swelna’s thread

swelna said give some names that I think would be better so I did 🤷🏻‍♂️
I did say realistic, but at least you did give some options

Probably true, but this product is mind numbing in how boring it is on the field. Unless you are a diehard, you will not be drawn in.

12 passes today. 10 points YAWN
Today was yet another kick in the nuts. The worst part for me was as Iowa was driving for the win, a Hawkeye fan and a Gopher fan were going at each other two rows behind me. And when the Hawkeye fan said, "Look around. If it wasn't for us, you'd have 20,000 people here. And he was right. Nobody cares.

Coyle won’t fire PJ, why? Because PJ got the players grades up. Coyle doesn’t seem like a guy who base his coaches on Ws & Ls. He should but he isn’t. He seem to be more of an academic guy to me. As long as the football team is getting them grades, PJ can do no wrong in Coyle’s eyes.

We be a 2-10 team for 5 years straight but our football team has a 3.3 cum GPA, Coyle be like “strong work PJ, you deserve an extension and raise!” 🤷🏻‍♂️
What specifically has Coyle done or not done that made you come to that conclusion?

Today was yet another kick in the nuts. The worst part for me was as Iowa was driving for the win, a Hawkeye fan and a Gopher fan were going at each other two rows behind me. And when the Hawkeye fan said, "Look around. If it wasn't for us, you'd have 20,000 people here. And he was right. Nobody cares.
😆

Man, at the end of the day, it’s just a football game. There are bigger things in life to worry about than a W or a L 🤷🏻‍♂️

We passionate about Gopher football, don’t know why, but we are….but we’re also passionate about McDonald’s….

Just another passionate thing in our lives.

Urban Meyer
Jon Gruden
Deon Sanders

Someone big who can attract 5⭐️ & 4⭐️ recruits

Recruiting is key
It's looking like this is what it will take.

How close are we to a Big Ten title? Do we EVER want to win the Big Ten? Maybe in 100 years? Literally.

I am not calling for Fleck to be fired.

But - I do believe that some serious conversations need to take place. Coyle needs to sit down with Fleck, and then Fleck needs to sit down with his coaches.

I'm fine with Fleck as a recruiter and motivator. Let him be the CEO of the program. But the coordinators need to be allowed to coach.

I believe that Kirk C would like to run a more well-rounded offense, and use an athletic QB like AK. But I also believe that Fleck keeps too tight of a rein on the offensive philosophy.

Next season, Fleck needs to keep his thumb off the scale and focus on game management issues - or designate an assistant coach to help with timeouts, 4th-down calls, etc.

I’m not on the fire PJ train at this point. But I think his seat at least a little warm going into next year.

He came into this season with an all time great RB, super senior QB, a decent O-line, and good defense.

But we have ZERO wins against teams at or above .500 this season, with losses to an ok Purdue and Iowa at home. And the program does not seem to be making strides beyond a 7, maybe 8 win kind of team.

I was at the U during the Brewster years, so I know things can be WAY worse than what we have now. I’m grateful for that. But if things go really badly next season, and/or we continue to stagnate over the next season or two, it might be time to shop around.

Actually, we're fortunate to have PJ, whose 60%+ winning record is the best since pre-WWII Bierman - that's almost a century ago. Nebraska fired two coaches over 70% in wins and look what happened. Our best hope is that PJ learns from his mistakes -almost never having a decent passing gam -) from all the combined criticism from fans and press. He's still young and should not be set in his ways. If he has a losing season next year, it will be more difficult to defend his somewhat boring style of football in a community with multiple pro teams and with college basketball and volleyball overlapping the football season.

That’s exactly the issue, this program isn’t attractive enough to get big name coaches.

No big name coaches, no 4-5⭐️ recruits
No one is going to recruit five stars here, that’s delusional.

I’m not on the fire PJ train at this point. But I think his seat at least a little warm going into next year.

He came into this season with an all time great RB, super senior QB, a decent O-line, and good defense.

But we have ZERO wins against teams at or above .500 this season, with losses to an ok Purdue and Iowa at home. And the program does not seem to be making strides beyond a 7, maybe 8 win kind of team.

I was at the U during the Brewster years, so I know things can be WAY worse than what we have now. I’m grateful for that. But if things go really badly next season, and/or we continue to stagnate over the next season or two, it might be time to shop around.
How many did we win last year? And three years ago? And still can win this year?

PJF has earned a long leash. We shouldn’t be as delusional as Wisconsin. I believe PJ is young enough he can learn and change and grow in ways people 10+ years older probably can’t. We forget how young he is. Most of us didn’t know *hit from shinola or were at best less than fully seasoned at age 40 (granted even worse at 30 or 25 in terms of crystallized intelligence) I’d rather roll with PJ as the face of the program in the NIL era than take a flyer on some assistant or G5 flash in the pan.

It won’t happen overnight, but given PJ has made MN a consistently good team I believe he can make the team a top contender with the right financial resources and staff.

Last edited:

Who will we get better than Mason?
Who will we get better than Claeys?
Who will we get better than Fleck?

Using that logic Flexk is worse than Wacker.

You included Tracy?
And as you famously and repetitively said in your inane thread, “You didn’t answer the question, such an intelligent reply!”

PJ has a >.600 record at Minnesota and makes like 4.2M per year in a talent desert with crap fan support, awful local media, and no money.

I'm currently watching UCLA play USC in prime time. Chip makes $5M per year and has a <.500 record at UCLA, a school with a vastly easier recruiting pitch surrounded by talent.

TAMU just won its fourth game today. They paid a national championship winning coach $10M per year and won't be bowl eligibile.

PJ's Gophers stomped on MSU this year. They pay their coach $9M per year.

Anyone that thinks Minnesota gets better after firing PJ probably doesn't have much going on upstairs. Wouldn't pay any attention to it.

Hello perfect post☝️💯🎉

Top Bottom