Tj McWilliams Flips From Purdue to Minnesota!

Regarding scholarships, what if a player decides to keep playing 5, 6 or 7 years. Is the school obligated to keep that player on scholarship? I've never thought about it til now...I wouldn't think so though.

Regarding scholarships, what if a player decides to keep playing 5, 6 or 7 years. Is the school obligated to keep that player on scholarship? I've never thought about it til now...I wouldn't think so though.
Somebody can correct me if wrong, but I believe with the extra Covid year, that the schools were NOT obligated to honor the extra year with a scholarship. So the player could keep playing as a walk-on or portal to another school if the school chose to not keep them on scholly if they chose to use their extra year.

I'm sure people will leave because that's the nature of the game now but keep in mind we had a mass exodus of people on the depth chart/lower classes leave last year.

Boyd
Udoibok
Adim-Madumarie
Emilien
Dylan McGill
L. Wright (was on depth chart even though a WO)
Annexstad (was on depth chart even though a WO)

We had 8 scholarship WRs last year and we had 12 the previous season.

I actually don't believe that MBS will be one of the potential transfers. He has experience, he seems really close with CAB and the other players. But who knows? Also, I'm not arguing other people won't transfer out, I'm just saying to keep in mind we were pretty light on scholarship WRs last season.

Somebody can correct me if wrong, but I believe with the extra Covid year, that the schools were NOT obligated to honor the extra year with a scholarship. So the player could keep playing as a walk-on or portal to another school if the school chose to not keep them on scholly if they chose to use their extra year.
My opinion, I don't think schools feel any obligation anymore after 1 year because of the portal (and I can't really blame them).

That said, traditionally the obligation went through graduation. Even before the portal a lot of RS-SRs who weren't going to get PT were nudged out.

Don't think there is any guarantee that it is a 2 for 2 swap or anything like that. But if we are talking about someone likely to transfer from the WR group, MBS would seem like the most obvious player to go looking for a change of scenery after the bowl game.
I wouldn't mind that one bit.

Top Bottom