Tip-Off

Wow, that sucks that it's at 5:00 this year (it was at 10:00 last year and I believe somewhere in between the year before). I expect a lot of people won't be able to make it til near the end if it stays that early.

Tweet from Gopher Athletics:

"Tubby's Tipoff will have a new name and format this year, but it's on Friday, Oct. 14 at the Barn! More info soon"

Go Gophers!!

Interesting information - I doubt they would have it at 5pm being hardly anyone could attend..

The volleyball game vs. Iowa is at 7pm. It will be at 5, doors open at 4.

I'm all for an earlier start, 6 or 7 would have been better to allow people to stop home, change, maybe grab a bite on campus. The attendance didn't seem that great last year and it was too late for the youngsters to come along.

I hope we don't have important recruits coming. We aren't gonna look like much of a basketball school with so few fans there due to the early tipoff.

I didn't want to vent about our Athletic Dept but here we go...are you kidding me?

I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but our school needs to regain focus on revenue added/most popular sports (FB, BBB, Hockey). That means BBB gets #1 priority on Williams Arena, and if thats absolutely not possible you find another day to have the tip-off.

Why another time? Just like everyone on here is saying, not a lot of people can go. To grow a sport/program/venue, you need to actually have fans there. Which means you need to put the fans in situations where they can give ATTENTION to the sport. Because ATTENTION causes stress on programs, and stress leads to results. Right now we are accepting mediocrity in all sports and not holding programs accountable. Why is the SEC so damn good at football? Because their fans see it all the time, talk about it all the time, react to it all the time, etc..., so the coaches and programs have no other option to win. We need our sports in the limelight to garner attention, because with our lazy, misguided athletic department, the only way the programs will feel stress is when it comes from the fans.

The athletic departments plan here is terrible and just like the programs here they are putting themselves in situations to not be in the publics eye to be criticized. I love MN gopher sports, but I'm sorry I can't be a fan of these programs much longer if the people in charge aren't committing to winning. Yes we are "Minnesota Nice" but for the love of everything our athletic department needs to start demanding results and putting more money towards a practice facility instead of other things.

The point apples to underground629's comment too. Why would Tyus come here when we have a terrible tip off crowd, and practically no practice facility. Instead he could go to countless other schools where basketball is a HUGE priority and the school actually cares about it. Because what does he owe to this school when the school doesn't even make a commitment to basketball?

Doesn't the volleyball team play at the sports pavillion? Why would a free event at the barn impact that event? What am I missing? Holding a tipoff event at 5:00 p.m. is beyond stupid.

The point apples to underground629's comment too. Why would Tyus come here when we have a terrible tip off crowd, and practically no practice facility. Instead he could go to countless other schools where basketball is a HUGE priority and the school actually cares about it. Because what does he owe to this school when the school doesn't even make a commitment to basketball?

I bet he doesn't care about the tip off crowd.

Should be in prime-time and on TV

BTN might show it later, but still a 5pm start is stupid. Who is making these decisions? Can Tubby step up and just say no? I hope so.

I was told it was staying at 5, if it moves to 7, great. I don't see anything about the tip-off on the website, if you go to the calendar now it still has the volleyball game and the tip-off is not even listed anymore.

Alright, alright. Settle down everyone.

The website is https://www.mygophersports.com/Online/default.asp

And the tip off to the event is 7pm, not 5pm. This has been confirmed with the U!!!

oct.JPG

edit: Yeah, what they said ^^^^^. No need to get too worked up just yet.

There will be a release on Monday (10/3) regarding the event.

The first thing that will happen on Friday, October 14 with regard to the basketball team is indeed at 7pm, but things start off with an autograph session. So, 'normal' 9 to 5'ers should have a couple of hours+ to head home and relax for a bit before heading down to campus for a night of festivities (or have time to support one of the local establishments near the Barn).

edit: Yeah, what they said ^^^^^. No need to get too worked up just yet.

There will be a release on Monday (10/3) regarding the event.

Changing the time a couple weeks before the event is pretty sad. You would think the Gophers Athletic Dept./Marketing would have it figured out long ago.

I bet he doesn't care about the tip off crowd.

It's not the crowd itself that's going to "wow" him into coming, it's what it represents. If no one was there it shows that there is no attention to the program.

My point is at the end of the day I don't think it has to to with Tubby's recruiting as much as it seems. If we want recruits with Tyus's caliber, it is up to the U of M (Kaler), Athletic Dept (Maturi....), and the basketball program to invest time and money into getting attention back on this program.

I don't think the success or failure of the Tipoff is going to have that much influence on recruits.

The coach
The other players
The success the team has
The school

These will have more influence than the tipoff. If it indicates a pattern that impacts these other things then yes that has an effect. I hope its the start of a successfull season.

They didn't change the time. They haven't even announced a time.

You are 100% wrong. It was on their calender on gophersports. I sent a jpeg (snipping tool) to my friend to invite him, which is on my work computer. I'll post it Monday prick.

You are 100% wrong. It was on their calender on gophersports. I sent a jpeg (snipping tool) to my friend to invite him, which is on my work computer. I'll post it Monday prick.

A student intern entering the wrong time on a calendar isn't an announcement. Correcting theerror isn't changing the time.

Top Bottom