Time to think outside the box

DarthGopher

Reaction score
If the rumors are true that our NIL is hurting, or simply to bolster the funds, I have a proposal.

Hire me as Director of Player Retention. Pay me a salary of $10-$15M per year. I'll take a 3% commission (after taxes), and the rest I donate to DTA. This will help transfer the money from the lucrative TV contracts back into the players through "NIL". I don't really care the amount. Need more for DTA? Up my salary to $20-$25M.

F the NCAA. Stop playing by whatever loosely defined rules there are still left. Nobody else is.

Until players are under contract and are employees of the school, there has to be a way to get the revenue from the media contracts into the collectives. I would be the broker. Or if the school doesn't like one person getting it, hire an entire team of people and we all donate 97% of our salary to DTA.

Of course, everyone can think and act outside the box, and it still ends up as an unregulated arms race...a race to the bottom where anything might end up going.

If the rumors are true that our NIL is hurting, or simply to bolster the funds, I have a proposal.

Hire me as Director of Player Retention. Pay me a salary of $10-$15M per year. I'll take a 3% commission (after taxes), and the rest I donate to DTA. This will help transfer the money from the lucrative TV contracts back into the players through "NIL". I don't really care the amount. Need more for DTA? Up my salary to $20-$25M.

F the NCAA. Stop playing by whatever loosely defined rules there are still left. Nobody else is.

Until players are under contract and are employees of the school, there has to be a way to get the revenue from the media contracts into the collectives. I would be the broker. Or if the school doesn't like one person getting it, hire an entire team of people and we all donate 97% of our salary to DTA.
Creative! 'A' for effort. :)

Now just let me alert you to this: The school you are rooting for is the U of M.
When it comes to winning at major sports - they are neither making the effort, not are they creative.

It's like you and your buddies first b&e... "Are you in? Or are you out?"...

Or to quote numerous movies... "Are you a mexi-can... Or a mexi-can t"

Time to fucking start playing by the wild West rules

Creative! 'A' for effort. :)

Now just let me alert you to this: The school you are rooting for is the U of M.
When it comes to winning at major sports - they are neither making the effort, not are they creative.
Probably right. We'd go ask the NCAA for permission first, ya know if it wasn't too much trouble because we don't want to step on anyone's toes.

Step 1: Hang the damn banner back up. Stop being chumps.

While I like the spirit of the idea, it won’t be necessary.

Very soon, the U athletic dept will be able to pay athletes for their NIL directly. This is coming rapidly.

Just not soon enough for next school year and to hang onto Hawkins.

But guessing within two years.

I’ve forwarded your moniker to the Catholic Church to commence the process for Canonization, to be followed quickly by Sainthood🙏.

Your willingness to sacrifice is breathtaking or 🤣🤣🤣🤣

"Time to start thinking outside of college basketball" might be the better theme. My emotional investment in the sport is bankrupt.

When the Olympics decided to allow professionals to participate, they set the table for the end of true "amateurism" in order to win at all cost.

I've been rooting for provincially paid athletes for almost 50 years. Why anyone would have any interest spending time and money on an inferior product is beyond me.

While I like the spirit of the idea, it won’t be necessary.

Very soon, the U athletic dept will be able to pay athletes for their NIL directly. This is coming rapidly.

Just not soon enough for next school year and to hang onto Hawkins.

But guessing within two years.
I suspect something similar. The current system is completely unsustainable.

Tried to tell people, grab the foreigners. No NIL for them. Fill what you can with the NIL you have and hustle the international players. The Rayology Method. (That's copyrighted.)
According to the late Kobe Bryant, European players are more fundamentally sound. TRM has potential. Market it as direct exposure to the NBA.

I would still be willing to be a funnel. Not for Sainthood as so generously offered by Gopher_in_NYC, but for Gopher Nation. :D

Our state corporate tax rates are shit but it shouldn't be up to getting the fans already overpaying for "mandatory donations" on season tickets to contribute extra money with the huge availability we have of corporate sponsors to be funding our NIL in exchange for marketing and ads

You’ll get killed with gift taxes after you exhaust your lifetime exclusion.

According to the late Kobe Bryant, European players are more fundamentally sound. TRM has potential. Market it as direct exposure to the NBA.

I would still be willing to be a funnel. Not for Sainthood as so generously offered by Gopher_in_NYC, but for Gopher Nation. :D
The economic value to the canonized is zero, and it also requires you to be dead. Just saying...

I’m telling you…… sell the coaching rights to ABC for their new reality show, “The Coach!”

They select a guy to be a coach and buy players to do ads for the show from the portal. Hired coaches do all the heavy lifting so the coach can date women the entire season. Then, hopefully the team wins and the coach proposes after the national championship game.

5 million a season for the starters and 4 million more for the bench,

The school hires the assistants and get all the ticket and B1G revenue!

It’s genius!

Seriously. 1000 Gopher BB fans donate $10,000 each.

That's $2M per starter.

And we Elite 1000 put together a movement that boycotts everyone who didn't step up originally. And we pledge to only use 3% of future outside donations to pay ourselves back.

I suspect something similar. The current system is completely unsustainable.
I agree with this.

I also wonder if some schools will then forgo certain sports to load up in others. Why would UConn even bother with a football team, do that take that money and have top end other sports.

I’ve forwarded your moniker to the Catholic Church to commence the process for Canonization, to be followed quickly by Sainthood🙏.

Your willingness to sacrifice is breathtaking or 🤣🤣🤣🤣
I was just going to say...if we also donate 10% of our income to a Christian church...we will be successful. But if not...we will still be okay...but a movement like this without some real positivity will fail or flounder.

Last edited:

Ant Man alone will make this $10M in 13 games in his next contract.

Why should we like Timberwolves, Vikings, or Twins players or owners if they watch us Gophers fans sink? When it would be so easy to help.

HEY

LET'S GET 1000 SIGNATURES ON A FULL PAGE AD IN THE STRIB, PP, BILLBOARDS THAT WISCONSIN RENTED, ETC...TO RAISE $10M FOR OUR STARTING LINEUP.

...the ads will say we need to do it ourselves...because the pro owners & players are too selfish.

How about gather Jordan Murphy, Daniel Oturu, Royce White, Marcus Carr, Jamison Battle, Nate Mason...just off the top of my head...to form a Gophers Alumni team.

A barnstorming team. To challenge other states.

Or a Senior Circuit. Like golf.

With the requirement being a degree from and all of the courses done at said college.

55+ league. So we can start with Burton, Coffey, Newbern, Lynch, Shik, Bond....and beat everyone.

Just throwing ideas out.

How about raising $100K to hire a private investigator to trail the teams who buy our players.

Keep an eye on them.

Make sure the local bars are safe, etc.

I agree with this.

I also wonder if some schools will then forgo certain sports to load up in others. Why would UConn even bother with a football team, do that take that money and have top end other sports.
Death to non revenue sports.

Within the very first minute...Warrior says, LOUDLY, that guys who watch others do sports are completely pathetic...and are several other derogatory things...and he says he hates to be around guys like that.

Hawkins...Christie...Payne...these are children. Lots of tattoos but probably can't even bench-press 80-lb dumbbells.

Top Bottom