Time.for PJ Fleck to Go, Engine Started

Fleck's biggest issue continues to be his stubbornness. He clearly has a preference and vision as to how the offense will look and he appears to be unwilling to move too far from that.

It was still largely working as the team was finding ways to win but last year and now one game into this year it is not. He has to adjust, but just won't.

Sometimes in life a guy will catch lightening in a bottle; maybe more than once and I think PJ did with his QB et al at his first stop and then with Winfield and crew when he got here. He had a horseshoe up his ass and found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Now, things have trended all the way down to his legit mean and it’s not good. Just my opinion.

So you thought Fleck should have been fired when winning 9 games?

People aren't "catching on". The results have changed.
It's been the same story, just getting worse each year. Same boring offense, same terrible mistakes. "we need to be better, it's on me, kudos to them blah blah blah"

Last edited:

It's been the same story, just getting worse each year. Same boring offense, same terrible mistakes. "we need to be better, it's on me, kudos to them blah blah blah"
But it was working to some degree. Otherwise you can't win 9 games back to back years.

I agree it's not working now and they keep making mistakes they shouldn't be but to think he should have been fired then is ridiculous.

"Following their devastating 19-17 loss to North Carolina in Week 1, many fans are already calling for the firing of Minnesota head coach P.J. Fleck.... However, fans aren't blaming the kicker or even the offense for the loss. All the blame is being passed onto Fleck."

The article cites many X (Twitter) quotes.

To back up, I'm not calling for Fleck to be fired. There's a gap between performance and standards, just saying.

I am being a mirror for what other fans have said and for what I saw on the field. Lots of good things too. Now close the performance gaps.

2019 we averaged 250yd passing per game.

2021-2022 was more like 160-180yd per game.

2023 was 140yd per game.

Thurs, Brosmer had 166.

Sometimes in life a guy will catch lightening in a bottle; maybe more than once and I think PJ did with his QB et al at his first stop and then with Winfield and crew when he got here. He had a horseshoe up his ass and found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Now, things have trended all the way down to his legit mean and it’s not good. Just my opinion.
So we already forgot the 21 and 22 seasons where we won nine games? Also you’re vastly over simplifying his success at WMU, you give all the credit to his qb who never made first team all conference and didn’t get drafted.

So we already forgot the 21 and 22 seasons where we won nine games? Also you’re vastly over simplifying his success at WMU, you give all the credit to his qb who never made first team all conference and didn’t get drafted.
GopherChase doesn't have MSM and Morgan to complain about so he has shifted to bitching about Fleck now. :)

Very impressed with the Western Mich. staff against Bucky. Maybe, just maybe…

21 and 22 were OK but I think most characterized by missed opportunities. Two of the easiest schedules of all time. And relative to the past criticisms of 55 and 2 I do think having MSM on the coaching staff is bad juju……….

Yeah! Let’s fire the one successful we’ve had in the modern era! I’m sure there is a line of better HCs out there chomping at the bit for this job.. I heard Saban is looking for employment!! You know what.. Maybe we should run it back at get our daggone chili hot once more!! Tim Brewster and the NC TarHeels beat us last night so he must be ready now!

Fleck isn’t perfect! He needs to figure out this OC situation but he has made us a respectable organization.. it can go down from here.. way down..
Respectfully disagree with your take.

Every team in the B1G West outside of Nebraska has had success in Flecks tenure, and Nebraska is trending up. Purdue and NW have B1G West titles in his time - hell NW has two!

Teams in the B1G are going to be successful because they play in one of the top 2 conferences in the country. Majority of kids whether out of HS or from the Portal want to play in the best conferences. The best conferences also have more resources and exposure for their members.

Yes I believe coaches are lined up to take any job in the B1G or the SEC 100%. Those jobs are different than other conferences and prestigious for the coaches. At this level for the coach its gotta be up or out - you build and trend up or you get canned and give someone else a shot.

Fleck is either not willing to change his offensive approach or he's unable to attract players that can execute a 21st century offense at this level. Either way its the Coaches fault.

The sky isnt falling, its just what do you want from your 6/7 million. Do you want what Fleck is delivering or do you want more? No right answer - I just want more.

Unfortunately Lou, there is no more Big Ten West title to be won ...

Hard to know what can now be considered an equivalent "achievement"?

Unfortunately Lou, there is no more Big Ten West title to be won ...

Hard to know what can now be considered an equivalent "achievement"?
I hear you - trying not to over react to 0-1 start, looking at the past 6 years.

When you combine looking at our offensive stats the past several years with the eye test from watching college football today it just goes to show how effed up our game day prep and game day overall are compared to our peers the O side of the ball.

Top Bottom