Tim McCormick gives his rankings of Big Ten coaches (Bottom Four: Collins, Pitino, Chambers and Underwood)

I mean the big and the ACC have been pretty even the past few years. Not really sure one way or another if the acc goes 10-9-2 or the big goes 10-9-2 if that makes anyone the better conference. It's just all about matchups that week. It's for the fans pleasure and all about tv. I could probably schedule the games and come up with a way for one conference to win more games.
Agree. Over the entire history of the challenge the ACC has a decided advantage. We had our fair share of cheaters as well. We cleaned ours except MSU and they cleaned Syracuse and Louisville. Pitino cheated in a big way. No doubt UNC sold there soul to reveal the sham classes were available to all and thus could not get them on impermissable benefits. Duke should be investigated for what they have done and punished if found guilty. I screamed about Magette getting a 75,000 dollar necklace and they skated. I never let it go but have been inspired by UVA winning that conference 4 times since Bennett got there and Duke only once and that was the first year ! Loved that Indiana got clean.

Agree. Over the entire history of the challenge the ACC has a decided advantage. We had our fair share of cheaters as well. We cleaned ours except MSU and they cleaned Syracuse and Louisville. Pitino cheated in a big way. No doubt UNC sold there soul to reveal the sham classes were available to all and thus could not get them on impermissable benefits. Duke should be investigated for what they have done and punished if found guilty. I screamed about Magette getting a 75,000 dollar necklace and they skated. I never let it go but have been inspired by UVA winning that conference 4 times since Bennett got there and Duke only once and that was the first year ! Loved that Indiana got clean.

I took 3-4 years off posting here(or logging in but have been reading) but I have to comment on this one.

The ACC wont the first 10 years of the challenge raking up a 62-35 wins advantage. They deserve credit for winning those years.

However, in the last 11 years the Big ten is 6-3-2 vs the ACC having an overall record of 71-71. This is with the ACC having the decided advantage of leaving their projected worst team out of it every year. To say the ACC has been better over the last 11 years is to only look at the top ranked teams and decide that makes the conference.

Last edited:

I took 3-4 years off posting here(or logging in but have been reading) but I have to comment on this one.

The ACC wont the first 10 years of the challenge raking up a 62-35 wins advantage. They deserve credit for winning those years.

However, in the last 11 years the Big ten is 6-3-2 vs the ACC having an overall record of 71-71. This is with the ACC having the decided advantage of leaving their projected worst team out of it every year. To say the ACC has been better over the last 11 years is to only look at the top ranked teams and decide that makes the conference.
Great data. Thanks for the post. So we have three teams with a winning record Purdue at 11-8, Nebraska 5-4, PSU 10-9. The ACC has nine. Maryland was 10-5 when playing against the Big 10 and 1-5 as a Big10 member playing against the ACC. Mostly because Gary Williams was a better coach than Turgeon. Suppose it does not matter much since the vast majority of fans only care about winning conference titles and making final 4's and winning national titles , getting guys in the NBA. That is not surprising since that is what recruits are talking about.

Last edited:

Again, the two conferences are definately the 2 best. Cant say 1 is better than the other by a 4 day challenge that ends up like 8-6 with who knows how they match the teams up. National championships and final fours are a better gauge. Maybe even number of teams that go to tournament.

Again, the two conferences are definately the 2 best. Cant say 1 is better than the other by a 4 day challenge that ends up like 8-6 with who knows how they match the teams up. National championships and final fours are a better gauge. Maybe even number of teams that go to tournament.
Agree. As a side note the ACC has 397 bids, the Big 10 304.

Great data. Thanks for the post. So we have three teams with a winning record Purdue at 11-8, Nebraska 5-4, PSU 10-9. The ACC has nine. Maryland was 10-5 when playing against the Big 10 and 1-5 as a Big10 member playing against the ACC. Mostly because Gary Williams was a better coach than Turgeon. Suppose it does not matter much since the vast majority of fans only care about winning conference titles and making final 4's and winning national titles , getting guys in the NBA. That is not surprising since that is what recruits are talking about.

Maryland and Georgetown are potential juggernauts, but can't get the right coach. Resources galore, players close by that want to stay. Tuergon is the biggest underachiever in the conference imo on a continual basis. I hope as a Gophers fan Maryland keeps him even if his record is positive against us at this time.

I love how this thread, like every other, spilled into an ACC love fest by built. We get they are a good conference, but every fan does not have the resources you do to travel all over the country and support multiple programs. This was about an article on big 10 coaches on a board about a big 10 team. Heaven forbid anyone think the big 10 is the best conference because the "data" suggests other wise. Fawning over blue blood programs using that as an argument against the big 10 but at the same time condemning UNC/Duke for being blatant cheaters saying it's not you who supports its the kids who like those schools. So what is it then? Conference of excellence or conference of biggest cheaters (exluding UVA of course)? We are talking about the last 20 years contextually, do not cite tournament appearances dating back to 1939 which i saw before and was a laughable statistic. UVA is probably better than any program in the big 10 i will agree. Every team after that is either a cheater or mired in mediocrity.

Tier 1:
Izzo- legendary
Painter- almost legendary

Tier 2:
Underwood- watch out this program is on the rise
Gaard- can't argue with his success
Peikell-guy can coach- if they get some O talent look out
Turgeon- steady eddy I mean Mark

Tier 3:
Hoiberg- could/should rank higher if using ISU resume
Miller-gets top talent, but usually under performs
Holtmann-roller coaster so far-see last season
McCaffery-to inconsistent to rank higher

Tier 4:
Pitino- always on the hot seat
Collins-hasn't done it enuf
Chambers- 1 season of strong play is not enuf

*Howard. - to early to evaluate, but if I project will probably be Tier 2 because of player talent

Tier 1:
Izzo- legendary
Painter- almost legendary

Tier 2:
Underwood- watch out this program is on the rise
Gaard- can't argue with his success
Peikell-guy can coach- if they get some O talent look out
Turgeon- steady eddy I mean Mark

Tier 3:
Hoiberg- could/should rank higher if using ISU resume
Miller-gets top talent, but usually under performs
Holtmann-roller coaster so far-see last season
McCaffery-to inconsistent to rank higher

Tier 4:
Pitino- always on the hot seat
Collins-hasn't done it enuf
Chambers- 1 season of strong play is not enuf

*Howard. - to early to evaluate, but if I project will probably be Tier 2 because of player talent
Everyone has different criteria so I wont say too much, but your putting piekell ahead of holtmann? Pikiell did a nice job this year, but are you saying holtmann is inconsistent with the roller coaster? No roller coaster in going to ncaa last 6 years. Hes been at ohio state for 3 years. This would have been 3 for 3 with him at ohio state. Wish Minnesota's roller coaster went to ncaa every year.

Last edited:

Top Bottom