Tim Davis

I was mainly making general points that conservative football can be winning football and that no matter what offense we use it will look like something someone else has done before. It is nearly impossible these days to use a system that does not closely resemble either one currently being used or has been used in the past.

Actually, there are several things you mention that make a lot of sense for the Gophers. We must have a good QB to achieve success. Gray appears to have the most star potential but to date it is still just potential. At any rate, I share your belief that we have more spread type talent than not the next few years and it makes sense to utilize them in that way. However, wild cards in the whole thing: Lamonte Edwards, incoming OL and who actually takes the QB spot.

Where I will take issue is with your first sentence or two. I would love to beat Iowa and Wisconsin, but why should that be our "first goal"? On paper it is no more important to beat those two teams in order to win a B10 title than any other two teams. In fact, though we haven't won against them in the last few years, it's not like that has always been the case. Personally I would rather see us beat Ohio State and Michigan. And why is it okay to mirror other teams but not those two? I don't understand (or at least don't agree with) the obsession with Iowa and Wisconsin as it relates to our overall success and offensive system. We could beat both of them every year and lose to nearly everyone else. That seems like a particularly questionable accomplishment. Sorry if this got a bit rambling. I had a phone call while writing and just don't have time to go back and fix it all.

I didn't state my point about Iowa and Wisconsin very well, but I do believe we need to beat them before we can beat Ohio State and Michigan. I think it's important to beat Iowa and Wisconsin from both a recruiting and a fan interest perspective. If the Gophers want to contend for Big Ten championships, they need to win the vast majority of recruiting battles within the upper midwest. Losing to Iowa and Wisconsin makes it more difficult to bring in the talent necessary to compete with the Ohio State's and Michigan's of the world. Second, nothing deflates fan interest more than these rivalry game losses. I believe blowing that lead against Wisconsin at home this year was a big reason why the student section was not very full for the remaining home games. I also believe that if Tim Brewster had the exact same record, but was 3-3 against Iowa and Wisconsin instead of 0-6 many posters would be willing to give him a little more time.

I sure hope he didn't refer to Tommy the Tank specificaly, that is a recruiting violation and the coaches should be smart enough to know that they can not talk about any athlete that hasn't signed on the dotted line.

I sure hope he didn't refer to Tommy the Tank specificaly, that is a recruiting violation and the coaches should be smart enough to know that they can not talk about any athlete that hasn't signed on the dotted line.

Not true. The coaches can't comment on a recruit to a reporter, on tv, etc, but they can definitely talk about players in personal conversations.

Not true. The coaches can't comment on a recruit to a reporter, on tv, etc, but they can definitely talk about players in personal conversations.

No kidding. Think about it...how else would the coaches talk to each other about players in recruiting meetings? Refer to them as "Player A, Player B, Player C"? Tap their names to each other in morse code on the table?

Not true at all, they can not speak about a potential recruit to anyone outside the department

Top Bottom