Tim Davis

RashoLives

Reaction score
Alright guys, I met Tim Davis the other night and just thought I'd share some of what he had to say with a casual fan...
First off, I have to say that Mr. Davis is by far one of the nicest people I have ever met. He seemed generally shocked to be recognized and genuinely appreciative to meet someone who respects what he does. He's a very large man but is very soft spoken and comes off as very very intelligent. He continually pointed at me through out our 30 minute conversation and said, you deserve a conference championship Brent, you deserve a rose bowl.
We discussed the young offensive lineman and he seemed to be very pleased with their progress.. He said that while Michel looked good and was a large man, Olson was the player truly to watch. He had glowing things to say about Ed and his conditioning and work throughout the last year. He said very little about Gjere but once again started gushing when I broached the subject of Olson's younger brother Tommy. Apparently the younger Olson is the offensive lineman they are most excited about over the past three years and they expect him to come in and be a beast from day one.
He explained the line from last year in saying "we need to get more help from the interior." He agreed that Wills could have played better but explained that if he did not constantly feel he was on an island against the right end he would feel more comfortable and cut down on the penalties. He told me to look for big things out of Jeff Wills this year.
Tim seemed generally pleased to be in Minnesota and had nothing but good things to say about our state. He had less glowing things to say about Wisconsin and when I asked him about the Wisconsin connection with him,Hort and Cos he seemed downright ashamed. He said Hort was going to run the Wisconsin offense from 10 years ago and pound the rock. I asked him if he remembered Wisconsin having a big back by the name of Ron Dayne back then and wondered aloud if we had anyone who could produce at a similar level. His answer was simple, Lamonte Edwards. He assured me that Lamonte would be playing offense and playing it well. He was super enthusiastic about Lamontes potential to be a game changing back in the big ten.
In short Tim is a nice man and is just as excited about the future of the program as I am. You should have seen his eyes light up when I mentioned the axe... if we lose this year it won't be from lack of desire on the part of the coaching staff.

Thanks for posting this!! My favorite thing about GH is reading firsthand accounts like this.

This is awesome! Thanks so much for posting! Take the rest of the day off!

First, thanks for the report. His comment that we lacked interior play combined with his glowing report on Ed Olsen, makes me question his playing inside. Does Ed have both drive skills, and lateral quicknes to pull or trap? Will Olsen play Center like the old man?

And the comments about Wills, I will be surprised if he plays up to his size.

And last but certainly not least. I love the idea of Lamonte Edwards at the tailback. Hose a senior and Rengel comming along. Dare I say it, Lamonte Edwards could be better than Darrell Alexander Thompson?

I think we all expected the Horton offense to resemble the wisky O from years past, it's nice to get a confirmation on that. I think some of the nuggets from Coach Davis bode well for the offense, namely a big contribution from Ed Olson and an improvement from Wills, the island comment makes you wonder if the left side of the line last year was getting more TE help, I can't recall to be honest.
A big contribution from Edwards on offense next year would be huge, though it would also be unexpected. They must feel good in their ability to teach some of the technique Lamonte lacks right now. Though if they can get push up front, he might be used as a simple straight ahead smasher early and some others can work the more complex trap and counter type misdirection runs.

All the film I remember on Olson is that he was very mobile, and trapped and pulled very well.
Straight ahead he was a typical D1 linemen playing in HS dominating the guy in front of him, though I do remember him getting to the next level very well also.

Alright guys, I met Tim Davis the other night and just thought I'd share some of what he had to say with a casual fan...
First off, I have to say that Mr. Davis is by far one of the nicest people I have ever met. He seemed generally shocked to be recognized and genuinely appreciative to meet someone who respects what he does. He's a very large man but is very soft spoken and comes off as very very intelligent. He continually pointed at me through out our 30 minute conversation and said, you deserve a conference championship Brent, you deserve a rose bowl.
We discussed the young offensive lineman and he seemed to be very pleased with their progress.. He said that while Michel looked good and was a large man, Olson was the player truly to watch. He had glowing things to say about Ed and his conditioning and work throughout the last year. He said very little about Gjere but once again started gushing when I broached the subject of Olson's younger brother Tommy. Apparently the younger Olson is the offensive lineman they are most excited about over the past three years and they expect him to come in and be a beast from day one.
He explained the line from last year in saying "we need to get more help from the interior." He agreed that Wills could have played better but explained that if he did not constantly feel he was on an island against the right end he would feel more comfortable and cut down on the penalties. He told me to look for big things out of Jeff Wills this year.
Tim seemed generally pleased to be in Minnesota and had nothing but good things to say about our state. He had less glowing things to say about Wisconsin and when I asked him about the Wisconsin connection with him,Hort and Cos he seemed downright ashamed. He said Hort was going to run the Wisconsin offense from 10 years ago and pound the rock. I asked him if he remembered Wisconsin having a big back by the name of Ron Dayne back then and wondered aloud if we had anyone who could produce at a similar level. His answer was simple, Lamonte Edwards. He assured me that Lamonte would be playing offense and playing it well. He was super enthusiastic about Lamontes potential to be a game changing back in the big ten.
In short Tim is a nice man and is just as excited about the future of the program as I am. You should have seen his eyes light up when I mentioned the axe... if we lose this year it won't be from lack of desire on the part of the coaching staff.

Thanks for posting! Sounds like a great guy and he also sounds excited for the future which is great news! Posts like this make Gopherhole a great source for information and fun to read.

Excellent post. Posts like these are why I'm here. You just can't read stuff like this from the news publications.

I really like the idea of Minnesota going with the throwback Wisconsin offense. At first, I hated the switch last season. Major growing pains. But one highlight in regards to the overall team was that that even though the offense experienced major growing pains, the defense didn't take a step back. It was actually quite remarkable when you look at some of the offensive rankings.

Too often people forget that your offense and defense are closely related in performance. If your offense is terrible at third down conversions (ranked 100 last season), it usually is a major setback for your defense. It means the defense will be on the field longer, not get many breaks to revitalize itself, and will overall just wear down quicker. But that didn't happen as often as it should have last year, which is great.

If Davis can get the line play squared away, that'll be the primary key to success for the Gophers in 2010. That and someone like Edwards must step up at the RB position. If those two things happen, you'll see a fresher, better, more energized Minnesota defense. And with the young talent about the emerge, this could mean great things for the team as a whole.

If the Gopher's third down efficiency improves, and the ball control rushing offense can produce much better (ranked 111 last season), it'll make things a lot easier as far as closing out games and keeping the defense fresh.

Three most important things for the Gophers next season given what took place in this conversation (listed by importance):

1.) O-line improvement
2.) Having someone like Lamonte Edwards step up at RB
3.) Striking early on offense, and the development of play action

If these things develop, the Gophers will make noticeable strides next season.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

Great post, Brent! I'm glad you finally caved and joined the Hole. It sounds like we are assembling a dream team staff of ex-Badgers to recreate the early 2000's Badger team. I can't say I'm a big fan of having to emulate our biggest rivals...but they were very good at what they did. To be honest, if Weber plays like Stocco or Sorgi next season that wouldn't be such a bad thing...

ATim seemed generally pleased to be in Minnesota and had nothing but good things to say about our state. He had less glowing things to say about Wisconsin and when I asked him about the Wisconsin connection with him,Hort and Cos he seemed downright ashamed. He said Hort was going to run the Wisconsin offense from 10 years ago and pound the rock. I asked him if he remembered Wisconsin having a big back by the name of Ron Dayne back then and wondered aloud if we had anyone who could produce at a similar level. His answer was simple, Lamonte Edwards. He assured me that Lamonte would be playing offense and playing it well. He was super enthusiastic about Lamontes potential to be a game changing back in the big ten.

Was he ashamed because the Gophers lost to Wisconsin last fall? That's what I assumed. Hopefully, he wasn't ashamed for any other reason. I'm excited to see this stripped down, run/play action offense. I can't wait to see how the O looks in the spring game.

Great post, Brent! I'm glad you finally caved and joined the Hole. It sounds like we are assembling a dream team staff of ex-Badgers to recreate the early 2000's Badger team. I can't say I'm a big fan of having to emulate our biggest rivals...but they were very good at what they did. To be honest, if Weber plays like Stocco or Sorgi next season that wouldn't be such a bad thing...

It took me long enough, but I figured after reading the Hole for so long it was about time I contributed... As for emulating the early decade Badgers... I just hope Garin and Hageman only emulate Erasmus James on the field. We've got enough off field problems, and if they emulate his knees we're in for major trouble.

Was he ashamed because the Gophers lost to Wisconsin last fall? That's what I assumed. Hopefully, he wasn't ashamed for any other reason. I'm excited to see this stripped down, run/play action offense. I can't wait to see how the O looks in the spring game.

Yeah, he said something along the lines of "We let those bastards out of here with a win last year". It was nice to see some fire from the coaching staff in response to our rivals. His eyes lit up when he said that Penn State was beatable, and he mentioned having to get that damn pig as well.

I'm glad to hear we're going to run the ol' Wisky offense. This thing I thought was brilliant about it was the patient, non-panicky way Barry operated it. Think of all the times we'd get out to a lead in the first hald against the badgers, only to have it evaporate in the second half. Their big lines just wore us down to a point where they could do what ever they wanted in the fourth quarter. Run, run, run....play action to Chambers for like 50 yards, run, run, run for TD. It won't be the cutting edge, electrifying offense promised by Fisch, but it will work. I'd rather when 10-7 than lose 48-49.

I'm glad to hear we're going to run the ol' Wisky offense. This thing I thought was brilliant about it was the patient, non-panicky way Barry operated it. Think of all the times we'd get out to a lead in the first hald against the badgers, only to have it evaporate in the second half. Their big lines just wore us down to a point where they could do what ever they wanted in the fourth quarter. Run, run, run....play action to Chambers for like 50 yards, run, run, run for TD. It won't be the cutting edge, electrifying offense promised by Fisch, but it will work. I'd rather when 10-7 than lose 48-49.

The nice thing is, when you can do those simple things like run for 3 yards at will, hit a long PA pass or wear down a D, you can build in wrinkles that can be dynamic and cutting edge. Horton is a former wisky offensive coach, but he also spent a long time with the pistol offense in Nevada, and recently in the pros, he's got to time things out properly, which Fisch didn't have down yet.
Run, Run, Run, PA, Run, Wrinkle off the run or PA, Run, Run TD.
Anything is possible when the big uglies get it done and your backs are falling forward for 3-5 yards.

If we run the Wisconsin offense I will vomit. Wisconsin football is very boring football to watch. I can hardly watch Gopher/Wisconsin games and now with both teams running the same boring football It will be a pain to watch.

He said Hort was going to run the Wisconsin offense from 10 years ago and pound the rock.

Thanks for this post. The nice thing about seeing this quote here is that it sort of corroborates what Horton has said in his interviews - makes it real. I hate to say it but sometimes when Brew talks about stuff like this you don't know what to think because he seems a bit uncentered (spread vs. pro, etc.). These two guys saying it both publicly and privately means that it is going to happen or they are going to all get fired trying to make it happen. That is a good thing.

I don't know who posted it but after bowl season someone suggested that all the Badgers and Hawkeyes do is run about a dozen plays really well. I'm not an X's and O's football guy but this makes sense to me. Simple, fundamental, and 'rehearsed to perfection' overcomes talent gaps in other sports (think Bo Ryan or Bobby Knight) why wouldn't it here?

If we run the Wisconsin offense I will vomit. Wisconsin football is very boring football to watch. I can hardly watch Gopher/Wisconsin games and now with both teams running the same boring football It will be a pain to watch.

Guess it depends on whether you want exciting, losing football or boring, winning football. I saw plenty of the former during the Mason era; I'd now rather see the latter.

Of course, the comeback is that most would prefer exciting, winning football. But I think anyone would take the Woody Hayes "3 yards and a cloud of dust" if it means we're winning a lot of football games.

The OP's post doesn't go well for my prediction of a double RshF tandum on the right side.

The nice thing is, when you can do those simple things like run for 3 yards at will, hit a long PA pass or wear down a D, you can build in wrinkles that can be dynamic and cutting edge. Horton is a former wisky offensive coach, but he also spent a long time with the pistol offense in Nevada, and recently in the pros, he's got to time things out properly, which Fisch didn't have down yet.
Run, Run, Run, PA, Run, Wrinkle off the run or PA, Run, Run TD.
Anything is possible when the big uglies get it done and your backs are falling forward for 3-5 yards.

+1. Running that Offense doesn't mean it has to be boring. Considering Horton's history with the pistol I bet we'll see some variations Barry Alvarez never used. They'll tailor the system to the players. I would expect the Gophers to run lots of play fake sprint out run/pass options whether it's Gray or Weber taking the snaps.

Guess it depends on whether you want exciting, losing football or boring, winning football. I saw plenty of the former during the Mason era; I'd now rather see the latter.

Of course, the comeback is that most would prefer exciting, winning football. But I think anyone would take the Woody Hayes "3 yards and a cloud of dust" if it means we're winning a lot of football games.

Ohio State is another football team I can't stand to watch. My best friend took me to a few games at the horseshoe while in college in the late 90's and I would rather of watched paint dry. I can't stand relying on your D and milking the clock to get a Victory. I want to see creativity and athleticism. Give me Florida and Texas football any day.

Ohio State is another football team I can't stand to watch. My best friend took me to a few games at the horseshoe while in college in the late 90's and I would rather of watched paint dry. I can't stand relying on your D and milking the clock to get a Victory. I want to see creativity and athleticism. Give me Florida and Texas football any day.

Texas' offense is about as predictable as you can get. I know this unfortunately from watching every game over the last decade plus. Our athleticism is the only thing that saves this scheme. And Minnesota doesn't have the horses yet to get bye if they were to run an offense like Texas' dink and dunk spread.

Supposedly changes are taking place this Spring, but that's the same thing we hear every year. Although, this year it may be more true than others. We might actually run the ball, and not play out of the shotgun 90% of the time to take a little pressure off of our true soph. QB.

Texas fans are dying more more creativity from the offensive side of the ball.

Surprised at how many people like the idea of the Wisconsin offense because I hate it. The Gophers need their own identity and playing the same style of conservative offense as Iowa/Wisconsin is not the right direction to go. A conservative offense only works with a very good defense, something we have not had in years. Even then, a conservative offense is susceptible to losing to inferior teams because almost every game is close. I hope we still see 3 wr's on the field and multiple formations.

Surprised at how many people like the idea of the Wisconsin offense because I hate it. The Gophers need their own identity and playing the same style of conservative offense as Iowa/Wisconsin is not the right direction to go. A conservative offense only works with a very good defense, something we have not had in years. Even then, a conservative offense is susceptible to losing to inferior teams because almost every game is close. I hope we still see 3 wr's on the field and multiple formations.

Okay, what offensive system shall the Gophers employ that is not mindful of a system previously used by somebody? Of course we all know how many inferior teams beat Bo and Woody because of their conservative football style.

Winning Big Ten football games is not boring to me, I don't care how we do it.

Okay, what offensive system shall the Gophers employ that is not mindful of a system previously used by somebody? Of course we all know how many inferior teams beat Bo and Woody because of their conservative football style.

The first goal to achieve is to beat Iowa and Wisconsin. This has to be achieved before we can win a Big Ten title. The best way to do that is not to mirror their styles, but come up with our own. It can mirror anyone else, but it should not look similar to what those two teams run. I prefer a more passing oriented offense because a. It's proven to attract more recruits to various schools over the past 5 years or so and b. It's a better use of Minnesota's current offensive talent. We have several receivers (Stoudermire, Allen) who are prototypical slot receivers who don't offer much spread out wide due to their size. We also lack a dominant run blocking offensive line and an elite back to make a run dominated offense work. Finally, Gray doesn't seem like the "don't screw it up" type vanilla QB that usually operates a run oriented offense. I'd hope that either a Senior in Weber or a talented athlete like Gray will be a strength at QB this year. If neither plays well, it will be a terrible season regardless of if the offense looks like Navy's or Texas Tech's.

I was mainly making general points that conservative football can be winning football and that no matter what offense we use it will look like something someone else has done before. It is nearly impossible these days to use a system that does not closely resemble either one currently being used or has been used in the past.

Actually, there are several things you mention that make a lot of sense for the Gophers. We must have a good QB to achieve success. Gray appears to have the most star potential but to date it is still just potential. At any rate, I share your belief that we have more spread type talent than not the next few years and it makes sense to utilize them in that way. However, wild cards in the whole thing: Lamonte Edwards, incoming OL and who actually takes the QB spot.

Where I will take issue is with your first sentence or two. I would love to beat Iowa and Wisconsin, but why should that be our "first goal"? On paper it is no more important to beat those two teams in order to win a B10 title than any other two teams. In fact, though we haven't won against them in the last few years, it's not like that has always been the case. Personally I would rather see us beat Ohio State and Michigan. And why is it okay to mirror other teams but not those two? I don't understand (or at least don't agree with) the obsession with Iowa and Wisconsin as it relates to our overall success and offensive system. We could beat both of them every year and lose to nearly everyone else. That seems like a particularly questionable accomplishment. Sorry if this got a bit rambling. I had a phone call while writing and just don't have time to go back and fix it all.

I just think that we will find out what kind of O-line coach TD is this fall. He has a proven track record!!! I have a sneeking suspicion we will be plesantly suprised.

I just think that we will find out what kind of O-line coach TD is this fall. He has a proven track record!!! I have a sneeking suspicion we will be plesantly suprised.

I think Wills is like a big pile of clay that needed to be molded and I would bet after a full year in the program he will be improved. After Will and Olson, it sounds like the other three spots are up for grabs.

My interpretation on the statement regarding Wills being out on an island is more that Carufel wasn't taking care of his job in the middle.... and Davis did mention problems in the middle. I still think Carufel won't play this year.

What a fantastic read. Nice to read something to get excited about.

Top Bottom