Tidbits from last night

Pewterschmidt

Reaction score
I ran into a high school friend last night at the Social who has worked with the FB team since the Mason years. He's one of the few that have survived the 2 recent regime changes. Gopherkinta and I picked his brain for a while. Some interesting takes/opinions:
- Ted Roof realized within the first week as DC under Brewster that he would be one-and-done. Said it had everything to do with the culture surrounding the program
- Said under Brewster and Mason, most of the staff walked on egg shells. Under Kill, it's more of a professional relationship in the offices between Kill and his staff.
- Said Hammock was the best recruiter on Brewster's staff and is still the best recruiter on Kill's staff. Said it's a beautiful thing to watch him connect with recruits.
- Pam Borton has way too much power/pull in the Athletic Department and certain prominent people are deathly afraid of offending her

Also I got to talk to Hammock. Glad he's still around. Says people will love Lamonte Edwards. We talked about all RBs specifically but his eyes lit up when talking about Edwards and said (paraphrasing) "there's no way we're moving him to defense. No way, no how. He's too good at RB."

Finally, I talked to Mike Sherels for a minute or 2. Told the story on how he lucked out and sat next to Coach Kill at a basketball game earlier this year. He was forward and straight out asked him if there was a position for him on the staff. By the end of the game, Mike was offered a job. He looked like he couldn't have been happier to be back with the program. Very nice guy.

Interesting comments, especialy the one about Borton. Borton is the one that should be walking on egg shells.

Interesting

about Mason and staff. Each winter Mason would pay for a staff vacation/cruise with wives/girlfriends etc. I had several conversations with Mitch Browning over the years and he said
Mason was demanding like most head coaches, but very good to his staff. Don't know about Brewster because I never talked with any of his staff. You do wonder though how he was to work for with all the changes he made? I like the fact that Kill's staff has been with him for a long time.

Thanks for sharing. I'm glad to hear Kill has created a positive working environment. That's important. I love that we kept Hammock as well.

That's really weird that people are afraid of offending her. Is this prominent person her boss? That would be embarrassing, seeing as she is the one earning her record.

Also, I loved Mike Sherels as a Gopher. The guy had a heart of a champion and bled maroon and gold. I'm glad to have him back on board.

Borton is part of two uber-protected classes. She's safe, knows it and even flaunts it. Although I'm not a big women's BB fan it's clear that things are not right.

Thanks for this information.

Thanks for the information. Doesn't anyone have anything more to add about last night's event?

about Mason and staff. Each winter Mason would pay for a staff vacation/cruise with wives/girlfriends etc. I had several conversations with Mitch Browning over the years and he said
Mason was demanding like most head coaches, but very good to his staff. Don't know about Brewster because I never talked with any of his staff. You do wonder though how he was to work for with all the changes he made? I like the fact that Kill's staff has been with him for a long time.

I don't doubt that Mason's some assistant coaches had a good relationship with him. However, there's more to the staff than just coaches. Browning and Mason were buddy-buddy. I wouldn't expect him to say Mason treated his staff(non-coaches) poorly.

- Ted Roof realized within the first week as DC under Brewster that he would be one-and-done. Said it had everything to do with the culture surrounding the program

- Pam Borton has way too much power/pull in the Athletic Department and certain prominent people are deathly afraid of offending her

1.) Is Ted Roof talking about the president, AD, Regents, professors? If so the University of Minnesota has a serious problem.

2.) She has power because women's basketball is the only women's sport that has potential to make money. I agree with a poster, she should be walking on egg shells. Her program went from the top 4 to the bottom 4 within a few years. Not that I care but she probably needs to go.

1.) Is Ted Roof talking about the president, AD, Regents, professors? If so the University of Minnesota has a serious problem.

2.) She has power because women's basketball is the only women's sport that has potential to make money. I agree with a poster, she should be walking on egg shells. Her program went from the top 4 to the bottom 4 within a few years. Not that I care but she probably needs to go.

- Honestly, the direction of the conversation changed and all I remember him saying was Roof and the "Culture surrounding the program" weren't a good fit. Read into that however you want but understand that this individual didn't have many nice things to say about Brewster. I consider this person credible. Remember that Brewster could have fired him but kept him in his position. It didn't sound personal in his criticism of Brewster. This individual is at every practice, every game, and many team meetings so he's sees and hears almost everything.

My wife went with me last night to the signing gathering. She had never gone to one of these things before. She is a good football fan coming from a football family. She had a great time, and enjoyed Kill's comments whether it be that "defense" wins games, picking on himself. I believe she liked the fact that his wife was there as well. She appreciated Kill's comments that his job starts right now in taking care of the recruits coming in. Need to guide them along so they don't get lost in the system. He said it is important that we retain these players in good academic standards. Doesn't like players not playing hard or working out hard. Stress the fundementals in football as well as life. It all comes together when you do what you're suppose to do.

I got the feeling that while the crowd was very supportive of him. There is a little air of caution as we've been down this road before. But everything he said seems to make sense and I would say that the high majority believe we are on the right path due to his past record.

- Honestly, the direction of the conversation changed and all I remember him saying was Roof and the "Culture surrounding the program" weren't a good fit. Read into that however you want but understand that this individual didn't have many nice things to say about Brewster. I consider this person credible. Remember that Brewster could have fired him but kept him in his position. It didn't sound personal in his criticism of Brewster. This individual is at every practice, every game, and many team meetings so he's sees and hears almost everything.

If Brewster's culture was the problem in Roof's eyes or your source then Joel Maturi took care of that problem.:clap:

Thomas Hammock: "there's no way we're moving him to defense. No way, no how. He's too good at RB."

I just wanted to bold this and make it a little bigger so you'd see it and it'd sink in, Bob.;)

Thomas Hammock: "there's no way we're moving him to defense. No way, no how. He's too good at RB."

I just wanted to bold this and make it a little bigger so you'd see it and it'd sink in, Bob.;)

Nice!!!

Reasoning

There had to be some reason we ignored recruiting running backs. I would think you'd recruit RB's every year? Confidence from Hammock telling Kill that the guys we got in the program are worthy candidates has to be the reason. And it sounds like Edwards might be the most exciting of the group in Hammock's eyes.

There had to be some reason we ignored recruiting running backs. I would think you'd recruit RB's every year? Confidence from Hammock telling Kill that the guys we got in the program are worthy candidates has to be the reason. And it sounds like Edwards might be the most exciting of the group in Hammock's eyes.

It could be that, along with a few other comments Kill made last night and his history;

- scholarships are crucial and you have to be careful how you allocate them. he admitted there were holes to fill, and talked about how many lineman, LBs, DBs etc at each position. The Gophers played 3 guys last year, all of whom return, along with Edwards.

- He mentioned that he purposely held back a few scholarships and recruiting was not done. I believe his RB at N.Ill (Span) was a walk-on. Perhaps he feels he can find a diamond in the rough at that position.

Also, it appears Marcus Jones will play on offense - on occasion lining up in the backfield.

I have been in Edwards corner since he signed his letter of intent. He is the real deal. He could be the first big back we have had since Thompson. A true power back. Not a slasher, a one cut and go runner who can run over defenders. The answer on third and three.

It could be that, along with a few other comments Kill made last night and his history;

- scholarships are crucial and you have to be careful how you allocate them. he admitted there were holes to fill, and talked about how many lineman, LBs, DBs etc at each position. The Gophers played 3 guys last year, all of whom return, along with Edwards.

- He mentioned that he purposely held back a few scholarships and recruiting was not done. I believe his RB at N.Ill (Span) was a walk-on. Perhaps he feels he can find a diamond in the rough at that position.

22 Bennett, Duane RB 5-9 210 RSr. St. Louis, Mo. (O'Fallon Township)
32 Edwards, Lamonte RB 6-2 215 RFr. Woodbury, Minn. (Woodbury HS)
23 Eskridge, DeLeon RB 5-11 205 Sr. San Francisco, Calif. (Junipero Serra)
33 Gatling, Cameron RB 5-10 200 Jr. McAllen, Texas (University of Mary)
20 Kirkwood, Donnell RB 5-10 200 RFr. Delray Beach, Fla. (Atlantic HS)
25 Wright, Devon RB 6-0 190 RFr. Coral Springs, Fla. (Taravella HS)

That's why in triplicate they didn't recruit a RB. Save your schollies for next year. Marcus Jones can fill in as well.

Is Edwards "only" 215 pounds?

I believe that's what he came in as when recruited. My guess is he probably put on at least 5-10 pounds since then. No insider knowledge, just guessing that it hasn't been updated.

Edwards

I coached him, he is an ubelievable athelte, dead lifts 685 lbs then goes out side, runs and does complete back flip in the air, just unreal.

I coached him, he is an ubelievable athelte, dead lifts 685 lbs then goes out side, runs and does complete back flip in the air, just unreal.

Hey JP, we probably know some of the same people over at Woodbury then. I've heard from a lot of people that he has as many athletic tools as anyone they've been around.

Dpo, yep, it's finally sinking into my head :). If (I should say when) I bring up switching him to DE or LB again, i'll try to keep this thread in mind.

That's why in triplicate they didn't recruit a RB. Save your schollies for next year. Marcus Jones can fill in as well.

Thanks Highwayman for doing the research to backup my comment!
We are well stocked at RB

Different viewpoint

Bennett and Eskeridge are seniors. Best two last year? Also known quantities? (But Not likely game changers?)
Kirkwood had some flashes suggesting he may be in the mold of the Bennett and Eskeridge in effectiveness. Effective but not spectacular?
Gatling not familiar with...is he just on the roster or a "player"?
Wright was a mystery...difficult to count on a mystery.

So that to me is not a very formidable stable of running backs. Kirkwood has already shown he gets hurt. Wright disappears. The two seniors will be graduating. Cameron is unknown as a junior.

So that puts all the burden on Edwards to bring something new to the team this year....pretty much. It also means the year after you are now counting on a freshman to step in if you need a change of pace or an upgrade. Kill said he liked speed. I was looking for a speed back and somebody dangerous potentially....work into a role as a return guy...elusive...third down back out of the backfield. Something. Seems to be gambling to have to count on freshman next year.

As I said earlier. Edwards must be really good or we would have recruited a running back. But again, nobody gets hurt more than running backs. And nobody is less effective playing hurt than a running back. I would have recruited a fast little guy who potentially could be spectacular but is too small in everyone's eyes...like Coach Kill said he looks for. A game changer. Maybe only plays four or five plays but might score.

Just my take. Not saying their way is wrong. (Shady can play running back too...not worried we won't have somebody to play the position....just like a spectacular one....somebody really fast we gambled on)

Bennett and Eskeridge are seniors. Best two last year? Also known quantities? (But Not likely game changers?)
Kirkwood had some flashes suggesting he may be in the mold of the Bennett and Eskeridge in effectiveness. Effective but not spectacular?
Gatling not familiar with...is he just on the roster or a "player"?
Wright was a mystery...difficult to count on a mystery.

So that to me is not a very formidable stable of running backs. Kirkwood has already shown he gets hurt. Wright disappears. The two seniors will be graduating. Cameron is unknown as a junior.

So that puts all the burden on Edwards to bring something new to the team this year....pretty much. It also means the year after you are now counting on a freshman to step in if you need a change of pace or an upgrade. Kill said he liked speed. I was looking for a speed back and somebody dangerous potentially....work into a role as a return guy...elusive...third down back out of the backfield. Something. Seems to be gambling to have to count on freshman next year.

As I said earlier. Edwards must be really good or we would have recruited a running back. But again, nobody gets hurt more than running backs. And nobody is less effective playing hurt than a running back. I would have recruited a fast little guy who potentially could be spectacular but is too small in everyone's eyes...like Coach Kill said he looks for. A game changer. Maybe only plays four or five plays but might score.

Just my take. Not saying their way is wrong. (Shady can play running back too...not worried we won't have somebody to play the position....just like a spectacular one....somebody really fast we gambled on)

I hear you 60's guy, this is kind of the reason why I was advocating bringing in a JuCo RB this season. I wouldn't be shocked to see one brought in next year. Remember, Kill has a ton of connections with the Kansas JuCos.

I do have some disagreements with you (cordially of course). I am not overly concerned about finding a return man/speed role type of recruit (as a necessity in this draft) because I think that is sort of where Jones falls. In my opinion, the staff has made it pretty obvious that Jones will be playing offense in the slot/3rd down back/return man role. They talked about him running the ball and getting it to him in space.

Now, we also have Wright who does has been a bit of a mystery. He was hailed as an ultra talented kid out of Florida who is known to have such good hands that a lot of people kind of expected Wright to be playing WR.

So we really do have two FR who are speedster backs with good hands who will help in the return game. I agree that they are a bit of a mystery, but so would any RB that we signed in this class (besides Sankey). I don't think if we had simply signed a decent RB prospect that we would have much more assurance of having the type of player that we hope Wright or Jones become.

You guys are missing the point on scholarships. With Jones coming in and 3 RSF RBs on the roster, you save your scholarships now and use a couple next year, likely RS one of them at that time. It would have been a waste of a scholarship if all 6 (these 4 with Esk and Ben) of the others see playing time next season.

It seems that Brewster (and then Kill after he took over) was trying for one stud RB (Sankey), and when they didn't get him, decided not to take a flyer on less of a sure thing considering our current numbers at the position.

Thanks

Bob, HWY, DP....Thank You

It's fun to express an opinion and get some feedback/response from knowledgeable people.
I wasn't aware of Jones being an offensive possibility. I just saw him listed as a DB. So maybe he is my "shifty" guy.

And I maybe state my opinions too strong sometimes. I'm not alarmed we didn't recruit anyone other than Sankey. More wondering why? And for me that answer is really that they think Edwards will be special. He was scout team offensive player of the year or something.....that could be by default or by a wide margin and it appears it was truly earned.

Good point that some guys already on the roster are almost brand new.

Another good point...you can't get reps for too many guys in practice. That is, you can't have 9 RB's.

You guys make good points. Thanks. Just excited about our outlook.

Top Bottom