Tickets outside Williams

Moonlight

Reaction score
I am just curious for those you who have tried to pick up tickets prior to pre-conference games. I have the impression that the cost has gone up and people have not been able to get cheap tickets out front. Perhaps the U has "solved" this problem which has led to more empty seats that I have seen in 12 years.
Any thoughts or observations?

I am just curious for those you who have tried to pick up tickets prior to pre-conference games. I have the impression that the cost has gone up and people have not been able to get cheap tickets out front. Perhaps the U has "solved" this problem which has led to more empty seats that I have seen in 12 years.
Any thoughts or observations?

I haven't purchased any - but I see as many scalpers out as ever. The fact that the U is selling most home games for $20 leads me to believe a scalper will have better seats for cheaper...or why wouldn't you just get them from the box office?

I know that friends paid $45/ticket for NDSU. Given that the arena wasn't full, what would account for this?

I had two non-conference games that I couldn't make it to this year and sold them on craigslist for $35.00 /face value. And I have 3 Big10 games that I sold on craigslist for- $50.00 (face plus the seating premium that I already pay).

The thing I have noticed about the scalpers this year is that I don't recognize them all- it used to be the same 10 guys year after year.

I had to pay $40 for the NDSU game. Pretty good seats though. First row of the second deck on the side.

You shouldn't have to pay more than $10 for any preseason game-I never have (scalping). Big Ten = no more than $20 when the team stinks.

tikited said:
You shouldn't have to pay more than $10 for any preseason game-I never have (scalping). Big Ten = no more than $20 when the team stinks.

I went to a few games last year just prior to tip off and was offered nothing under face value from multiple scalpers. I don't think it's as easy you think.

Right - but those of us trying to unload tickets were offered $5-$10/ticket.

Also, you have to be careful because the scalpers try to sell un-suspecting fans student tickets (that you cant even use, you need a student ID) and or club room passes that won't even get you into the Barn unless you have an actual ticket! Carefully read the ticket before you purchase!

Right - but those of us trying to unload tickets were offered $5-$10/ticket.

There is definitely some collusion among the regular scalpers. From my experience they rarely pay more than $5-10 for tickets and generally hold firm at something close to face price on sales. They have obviously determined that it’s better to eat a few tickets at $5 per in order to preserve the higher selling price on those they can sell. I expect they figure that most people who are at the arena, have already paid to park, etc. are set on going to the game and will eventually pay the asking price in they are convinced that’s all that is available.

When I need an extra ticket, I wait around for someone to talk to the scalpers about extras for sale. My $10-15 offer per ticket sounds pretty good after they have been offered $5 by one of the regulars. When I have extras to sell, I do the same thing in reverse. Let the scalpers set the “market price” and then come in under it. If I don’t have any takers or don’t want to wait, I look for somebody with a little kid and give them the tickets for free. I’d rather do that than sell them to a scalper for $5 apiece. (This system works best if you don’t mind a little verbal harassment from the regulars.)

There is definitely some collusion among the regular scalpers. From my experience they rarely pay more than $5-10 for tickets and generally hold firm at something close to face price on sales. They have obviously determined that it’s better to eat a few tickets at $5 per in order to preserve the higher selling price on those they can sell. I expect they figure that most people who are at the arena, have already paid to park, etc. are set on going to the game and will eventually pay the asking price in they are convinced that’s all that is available.

When I need an extra ticket, I wait around for someone to talk to the scalpers about extras for sale. My $10-15 offer per ticket sounds pretty good after they have been offered $5 by one of the regulars. When I have extras to sell, I do the same thing in reverse. Let the scalpers set the “market price” and then come in under it. If I don’t have any takers or don’t want to wait, I look for somebody with a little kid and give them the tickets for free. I’d rather do that than sell them to a scalper for $5 apiece. (This system works best if you don’t mind a little verbal harassment from the regulars.)

Agreed. Went to a game and had a pair to sell. We were offered 5 dollars for them and declined. We waited until the scapler was negotiating with a dad and his young son and we just gave them our extra tickets. Scalper had a few choice words for us, but whatever. Glad to hear others doing the same.

You all are clearly not doing it right. Wait until after tip-off. Use scalpers against each other as leverage. This is a buyers market.

You all are clearly not doing it right. Wait until after tip-off. Use scalpers against each other as leverage. This is a buyers market.

Exactly. For example: Last year, I went to at least seven games. Five non-big ten and two big ten. I never paid more than $15 for the non-big ten games. I only got shut-out one time and that was for the South Dakota game. I was told the scalpers were holding out for the South Dakota fans to pay more. If I ever ran into a scalper who was holding his ground-another one would swoop in and under cut him. Almost saw a fist fight between two of them. The big ten games were a bit tricky, but if we waited until after tip-off = savings big time.

Also, you have to be careful because the scalpers try to sell un-suspecting fans student tickets (that you cant even use, you need a student ID) and or club room passes that won't even get you into the Barn unless you have an actual ticket! Carefully read the ticket before you purchase!

Will they check student IDs at the door? Some friends and I would like to go, and since I'm now a student again, I can get a couple of tickets (one at a time). However, if they check IDs, that won't work easily.

If you have a student ticket, they ask for student ID's at the door

I think the NDSU game may have been a bit different than other Non Conference games...I paid $80 total for 3 uppers, basically right at tip-off. Definitely different than years past, but there were a few smelly Bisons in the crowd. No offense.

Good to know about student tickets, that's switched back and forth in past years. And for some reason every year I look less and less like a 18-22 year old.

All that said, nothing would please me more than having gopher hoops the hottest g-damn ticket in town.

I know that friends paid $45/ticket for NDSU. Given that the arena wasn't full, what would account for this?

Bad decision making. I can't think of any game where GopherSports wasn't selling them for $20, so unless people need a lower level seat (which you can just move to), it's just silly.

Top Bottom