Thursday night band fail

GopherDrummer & others have nailed it. Committing two shows to memory, not to mention the stuff outside the stadium & in the stands, is pretty remarkable. I just have a few points to add.

Regarding short preparation, also consider the band had two less days to prepare than in the past. Camp started the same day, but the game has been on Thursday the past few years.

A big part of the success of a college marching band is student leadership and upperclassmen. There's only so much the paid staff can do and are generally focused on big picture. You need upperclassmen to give individual direction to the underclassmen. You also need incentives for students to stick around for 4+ years. OSU travels regularly (was at VT last night) and is often playing in championship games & marquee bowls. I don't think it's a coincidence that our band has grown since moving back on campus & Kill's success.

People like to compare our band with OSU (deservedly) and WI. Well, OSU made nation news earlier this year for some offensive songbook or something. And the entire WI band was suspended from a home game a few years ago because of serious hazing. Not sure from where craw's bizarre beef with Prof. Diem is coming, but there is a zero tolerance policy in the band for actions that would jeopardize the image of the band or university. My personal impression of Prof. Diem is that he demands a high standard but makes the band accessible for all interested. He's doing a great job IMO.

GopherDrummer & others have nailed it. Committing two shows to memory, not to mention the stuff outside the stadium & in the stands, is pretty remarkable. I just have a few points to add.

Regarding short preparation, also consider the band had two less days to prepare than in the past. Camp started the same day, but the game has been on Thursday the past few years.

A big part of the success of a college marching band is student leadership and upperclassmen. There's only so much the paid staff can do and are generally focused on big picture. You need upperclassmen to give individual direction to the underclassmen. You also need incentives for students to stick around for 4+ years. OSU travels regularly (was at VT last night) and is often playing in championship games & marquee bowls. I don't think it's a coincidence that our band has grown since moving back on campus & Kill's success.

People like to compare our band with OSU (deservedly) and WI. Well, OSU made nation news earlier this year for some offensive songbook or something. And the entire WI band was suspended from a home game a few years ago because of serious hazing. Not sure from where craw's bizarre beef with Prof. Diem is coming, but there is a zero tolerance policy in the band for actions that would jeopardize the image of the band or university. My personal impression of Prof. Diem is that he demands a high standard but makes the band accessible for all interested. He's doing a great job IMO.

According to a friend of Prof Diem mom he is the best band director in the Big 10. Mrs Barker.

Go Gophers

Like someone else pointed out, new members have had less than 10 days to learn how to march as the U band does, learn the formations, and memorize the music for a very demanding pregame show. That is a LOT to cram in during a short time, so at least give them a chance before choosing to be embarrassed.

Unlike many other bands, ours values woodwinds. While this sounds great on a CD, it provides less of an impact in the stands & field. So it is what it is.

Just a question? If the band takes things seriously and if committment was demanded why couldn't the song selections be memorized and a general awareness or familiarity with formation responsibilities already be in place prior to arrival on campus?

Just a question? If the band takes things seriously and if committment was demanded why couldn't the song selections be memorized and a general awareness or familiarity with formation responsibilities already be in place prior to arrival on campus?

I don't know.

I believe they get school songs during the summer, but everything's in first part. After tryouts and parts are assigned, it'd be different music anyway. Freshman start camp two days early to get a feel for what you mention.

Complaining about the band seems somewhat silly to me.

I always enjoy the band when I am at TCF. They would have to be really awful for me to notice and be affected.

Another band alum here, and I thought the pre-game was great! The halftime show was not so much. The band needs to take risks with creativity and innovation and the latest trends/memes. Diem needs to get away from the same tired old Earth, Wind, and Fire, Beatles, Tower of Power, etc. It is okay in small doses, but does not motivate the crowd or provide a laugh. This past half-time show seemed to be an attempt, but they still picked out songs that other marching bands played 2/3 years ago. We need to be playing songs the year they come out.

Also, I have to agree that the woodwinds do not add much of anything for a college marching band.

Because auditions take place in June, sections are finalized in July, lots of people have never marched on a field before and won't know how to read the charts we use. A lot of our music has cuts in it that change, as do our drill for halftimes. Asking students to memorize 30+ songs alone without a director to tell them what they should do musically, or to tell them they are playing it wrong.would not work out well, as bad habits would be formed. Lots of our drill is also not fully finalized until a month before that game. We also audition into pregame every game or two, so you may not even stay in the same spot, or know your spot prior. There are lots of moving parts that prevent music and drill familiarity from happening prior to arrival on campus.

Also keep in mind, the first game used to be the first week of classes, now it's the Thursday before. That's 9 less days than we had to prepare a few years ago, and we don't have the funding to start camp 9 days earlier to compensate

Another band alum here, and I thought the pre-game was great! The halftime show was not so much. The band needs to take risks with creativity and innovation and the latest trends/memes. Diem needs to get away from the same tired old Earth, Wind, and Fire, Beatles, Tower of Power, etc. It is okay in small doses, but does not motivate the crowd or provide a laugh. This past half-time show seemed to be an attempt, but they still picked out songs that other marching bands played 2/3 years ago. We need to be playing songs the year they come out.

Also, I have to agree that the woodwinds do not add much of anything for a college marching band.

Disagree on the need for current songs. The songs last week fell flat IMO, particularly with the student section (the target audience). On the other hand, the Latin themed shows always seem to be a fan favorite. You just need something that translates well to a marching band -- loud, fast, & funky.

Agree on the innovation with drill. Wavy lines or non-descript formations are boring for the crowd and difficult to do well. Stuff like the Mound of Sound or pictures are easy to pull off and the crowd eats that stuff up.

Agree on the innovation with drill. Wavy lines or non-descript formations are boring for the crowd and difficult to do well. Stuff like the Mound of Sound or pictures are easy to pull off and the crowd eats that stuff up.
This x1000. When the band does the mound of sound, it's playing old big band stuff, nothing new but the formation speaks for itself. Love the picture shows too, and typically those are somewhat easier to do from a drill perspective from what some former band friends tell me.

I couldn't disagree more with the assessment of the pre-game show. Band, crowd, excitement....all were great! I'm not a band person, but I thought it was damn impressive! Can't comment on halftime as I was in line for other things.

I couldn't disagree more with the assessment of the pre-game show. Band, crowd, excitement....all were great! I'm not a band person, but I thought it was damn impressive! Can't comment on halftime as I was in line for other things.

The other piece of information that you don't have is that Dr. Diem's wife has cancer and is seriously ill. The other instructors have filled in admirably to help but just another one of the challenges the band as a whole has had to overcome this year, besides:

a. a new drum major this year;

b. stadium noise so loud the band couldn't hear the tap offs (this is a great problem, loved the noise in the stadium!)

c. Agree about he moving numbers being more visually entertaining to watch, I'm sure this will change by next game.

I give so much credit to these young adults who donate HUNDREDS of hours for the "ONE" credit they receive for the opportunity to be in the marching band. I have travelled to 4 of the Gopher bowl games in the last eleven years and the half-time shows they have put on have been PHENOMENAL.

These young adults are truly the PRIDE OF MINNESOTA and "embarrassing" is being way too harsh.

Let's also just keep in mind that these kids are doing 3 hours of rehearsal every single day FOR FREE. Actually that's incorrect, they PAY for credits to bust their ass out there each week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Preparation, proficiency, passion aside, the Badger band during football games treats it like a spectacle. The Gopher band appears to treat it as a band concert. IMO

I'm glad someone started this thread, because the of the marching band has been in decline over the last few years. They play a few songs well (for a walking orchestra), but they can't march for squat! They looked horrific marching at the Citrus Bowl! UW is always sharp!

Let's also just keep in mind that these kids are doing 3 hours of rehearsal every single day FOR FREE. Actually that's incorrect, they PAY for credits to bust their ass out there each week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't know that. Boosters need to send some dough their way.

Preparation, proficiency, passion aside, the Badger band during football games treats it like a spectacle. The Gopher band appears to treat it as a band concert. IMO

Just to set you rodents straight, the UW athletic department does not fund the Badger Band!

Every member of the band, all 350 of them, are endowed by individual past members or anyone who enjoys the Band. Every year there is a Band Day at Camp Randall where every member is on the field with their endowment sponsor at halftime. The Band cost the UW NOTHING. The sponsors pay for new uniforms, travel, and new instruments as needed. All band members are music majors and must audition for the Band. They start practicing three weeks before school starts. They practice three times a day. The Band has its own practice field with the same turf as the stadium. That's what you call commitment.

GOPH44 Past UW Band member and sponsor.

Just to set you rodents straight, the UW athletic department does not fund the Badger Band!

Every member of the band, all 350 of them, are endowed by individual past members or anyone who enjoys the Band. Every year there is a Band Day at Camp Randall where every member is on the field with their endowment sponsor at halftime. The Band cost the UW NOTHING. The sponsors pay for new uniforms, travel, and new instruments as needed. All band members are music majors and must audition for the Band. They start practicing three weeks before school starts. They practice three times a day. The Band has its own practice field with the same turf as the stadium. That's what you call commitment.

GOPH44 Past UW Band member and sponsor.
Some of this is true, some is completely wrong.

UW band is a part of the school of music, just like ours.
UW does have an endowment system for each position in the band, very smart way of going about it. The U of M band is starting to get more into tapping the alums with the new uniform campaign, but needs to be expanded.
UW does not practice three times per day, they practice once per day Tues-Fri (plus gamedays) similar to our band. Yes, they have an intensive camp before school starts, but nearly every band has this in the B1G including the MN band.
Almost NONE of the UW band members are music majors, much like our band. Although from what I've read our band has more music majors than the UW band typically.

Some of this is true, some is completely wrong.

UW band is a part of the school of music, just like ours.
UW does have an endowment system for each position in the band, very smart way of going about it. The U of M band is starting to get more into tapping the alums with the new uniform campaign, but needs to be expanded.
UW does not practice three times per day, they practice once per day Tues-Fri (plus gamedays) similar to our band. Yes, they have an intensive camp before school starts, but nearly every band has this in the B1G including the MN band.
Almost NONE of the UW band members are music majors, much like our band. Although from what I've read our band has more music majors than the UW band typically.

I think they meant they practice three times a day during the band camp. If you split our band camp up by meals during the day then during our camp we also practice three times a day (8 or 9am - noonish, lunch, 1:30ish - 5ish, dinner, 7ish - 9 or 10). The alumni endowment is something I want to see eventually happen here at the U. It would allow for a longer band camp (three weeks would be absolutely wonderful!), possible away games, etc.

Top Bottom