Thursday night band fail

I think they have to get rid of Leidner as Drum Major..............oops, never mind.

Seriously, when I was in HS, the U used to have "Band Day" during a non-conf game every year. They would invite HS bands to sit in the end-zone bleachers at Memorial Stadium, and the HS kids got to play along with the Gopher marching band for a couple of numbers during the halftime show. It was always a lot of fun. (and, as a member of my HS band, I got to attend the Gopher-USC game in '68 and watch OJ Simpson play.)

LOL--and that damn Limegrover has to open up his formations so the flute players can strut their stuff.

So, SON, we were at the same game. Did you also get excited on the lateral across the field on the return?

The only thing from me in the student section was the lack of some of the normal chants. Only heard the first-down song once and it tapered off before we could even do the "LET'S GO" part. That's from my perspective. I know there are a ton of freshman but that was a little disappointing.

Sadly, I have to agree with craw0092 on this one. I heard several disparaging comments in my section about the poor quality of the band performance. If our band had not been wearing the maroon and gold, they could have been mistaken for Edina or Eden Prairie or several of the larger marching bands in the metro.

We can make all the excuses about an abundance of freshmen, lack of time for preparation, etc., but in the end the U of MN is a part of the B1G. Having big, loud, crisp marching band performances is one of the things that sets the college football tradition of the B1G apart from other conferences. Not only was this a big stage for the football team and the U in general, it was a big stage for the band as well.

As a U of M alum and a MN resident, I expect more out of the "Pride" of Minnesota.

On a more positive note: I, too, was mesmerized by the baton twirlers.

Put your butt in a band uniform in 90 degree weather after 9 days of practice with 100 new members and put on a show for us. I bet you would really suck it up. Are you one of those ripping the football team for losing by 6 to the number 2 team in the nation. Have a good day.

Go Gophers

I was at the game last night and I couldn't help but notice how terrible the band was. In years past I always was impressed by our band and their performance, but things sure have changed! Their formations were off, sound was off, timing was off, just about everything! I am truly embarrassed.

I was wondering if anyone knows why our band has taken so many steps back from just a few years ago?

Has the university started looking to replace Diem yet? Is anyone connected to the program who can update us concerned supporters?

Dickheads gonna be dickheads, I guess. What a ridiculously crass, underhanded post.

Put your butt in a band uniform in 90 degree weather after 9 days of practice with 100 new members and put on a show for us. I bet you would really suck it up. Are you one of those ripping the football team for losing by 6 to the number 2 team in the nation. Have a good day.

Hopefully at some point this season the band has perfect weather conditions, adequate time for practice, no distractions, and all other conditions needed to impress. Until then, I guess we should be happy with the "Pride" of Minnesota just showing up.

You have a good day as well.

LOL--and that damn Limegrover has to open up his formations so the flute players can strut their stuff.

So, SON, we were at the same game. Did you also get excited on the lateral across the field on the return?

Well, after that game, when my buddies would play touch (or tackle) football in the park, we would call for "The Gopher Play" on KO Returns. That is how we referred to the cross-field lateral - "The Gopher Play." So, yeah - it made an impression.

Hopefully at some point this season the band has perfect weather conditions, adequate time for practice, no distractions, and all other conditions needed to impress. Until then, I guess we should be happy with the "Pride" of Minnesota just showing up.

You have a good day as well.

Don't worry they will get better and you will stay the same. Good luck in life with being negative. When was the last time you played in a marching band? I am sure you will not be having a great day because you are are so worried about the band.

Go Gophers

Go Gophers

A thread critiquing the band...I thought I had seen and read it all. Good news is we have verbals from some promising musicians in both the brass and woodwind sections. It's the percussion section where we need to step up recruiting. Will the recent events involving Woody and Ellis effect the band facilities project?

A thread critiquing the band...I thought I had seen and read it all. Good news is we have verbals from some promising musicians in both the brass and woodwind sections. It's the percussion section where we need to step up recruiting. Will the recent events involving Woody and Ellis effect the band facilities project?
I heard the staff is focused on improving our sousaphone depth as well. Championships are won in the trenches.

I have come to appreciate the tom-tom section.

And the skin flute section made some magnificent moves.

The only thing from me in the student section was the lack of some of the normal chants. Only heard the first-down song once and it tapered off before we could even do the "LET'S GO" part. That's from my perspective. I know there are a ton of freshman but that was a little disappointing.

We couldn't play it whenever they did the no huddle, since we have to stop playing once the linebacker puts his hand on the ball. :\ we'll hopefully find a way to fit it in during the next few games though

I really didn't intend to start a thread to start a big uprising about the band. I was merely trying to learn if the program is looking to make any changes due to their performance. I thought this was a football forum, I didn't know there were so many band members on here.

I guess knowing this, the band members need to keep trying. With more practice, I assume we will get better. Don't take it so personal, we don't need the name calling on this thread.

Does anyone know if they are looking to replace Diem? Or maybe provide him with a mentor from a great band leader from the past or different school?

I really didn't intend to start a thread to start a big uprising about the band. I was merely trying to learn if the program is looking to make any changes due to their performance. I thought this was a football forum, I didn't know there were so many band members on here.

I guess knowing this, the band members need to keep trying. With more practice, I assume we will get better. Don't take it so personal, we don't need the name calling on this thread.

Does anyone know if they are looking to replace Diem? Or maybe provide him with a mentor from a great band leader from the past or different school?

Were you a former finalist for drum major and Diem blackballed you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

People were complaining about the uniforms before the season. I see nothing wrong with them.

According to my nephew, Tim Diem has the approach that everyone gets a chance regardless of talent. The performances suffer as a result. Put the best on the field and strive to be the best.

We couldn't play it whenever they did the no huddle, since we have to stop playing once the linebacker puts his hand on the ball. :\ we'll hopefully find a way to fit it in during the next few games though

Either I am really confused, which is not unheard of, or you keep confusing center with linebacker.

Don't worry they will get better and you will stay the same. Good luck in life with being negative. When was the last time you played in a marching band? I am sure you will not be having a great day because you are are so worried about the band.

1. I am having a great day, thanks.
2. Thanks for the heads up that I will stay the same. No need trying now.
3. Thanks for the kind wishes for my life. Best wishes to you as well. I am sure you will go far with the attitude that participation alone equals success.
4. What you call being negative is what I call being realistic. It appears that several others here agree that the band was not up to standards and has a lot of room for improvement.
5. My last marching band days? A long time ago. What difference does that make?

1. I am having a great day, thanks.
2. Thanks for the heads up that I will stay the same. No need trying now.
3. Thanks for the kind wishes for my life. Best wishes to you as well. I am sure you will go far with the attitude that participation alone equals success.
4. What you call being negative is what I call being realistic. It appears that several others here agree that the band was not up to standards and has a lot of room for improvement.
5. My last marching band days? A long time ago. What difference does that make?

Peace.

Enough about the band.

Have a great week.

Hope we get reports on the CS band so we can compare notes.

Sorry you got so worked up.

As a former band alum, here are my thoughts (disclaimer - I had to watch the game on TV, but some of my thoughts have nothing to do with TCU performance):

1. First and foremost, the opening game is always the toughest. The band will primarily work on the pregame show leading up to the opener (which includes many incoming frosh, but you had to tryout for it). The halftime show for the opener always seems to have little movement, but that's due to the lack of preparation time. The halftime shows will improve as the season rolls along.

2. The only flags that should be carried by a band member should be the Big Ten flags. The flag/rifle line needs to go - there always seems to be a handful of them that are never in step with the rest of the band. Plus, IMO, they just plain don't belong in a marching band.

3. We, as members of the University community (alum, fans, etc.) need to push for getting the athletics department to fund the band, along with providing a stipend for the directors (many of them are already professors in the School of Music). Currently, there is very little support for the band from the School of Music. I long for a time when the ENTIRE BAND is able to travel to at least one Big Ten road game every season, and this isn't going to happen unless there is support from athletics.

Either I am really confused, which is not unheard of, or you keep confusing center with linebacker.

That is very likely. My football knowledge, while not as limited as some band members, is still not great. I meant center, ha-ha.

As a former band alum, here are my thoughts (disclaimer - I had to watch the game on TV, but some of my thoughts have nothing to do with TCU performance):

1. First and foremost, the opening game is always the toughest. The band will primarily work on the pregame show leading up to the opener (which includes many incoming frosh, but you had to tryout for it). The halftime show for the opener always seems to have little movement, but that's due to the lack of preparation time. The halftime shows will improve as the season rolls along.

2. The only flags that should be carried by a band member should be the Big Ten flags. The flag/rifle line needs to go - there always seems to be a handful of them that are never in step with the rest of the band. Plus, IMO, they just plain don't belong in a marching band.

3. We, as members of the University community (alum, fans, etc.) need to push for getting the athletics department to fund the band, along with providing a stipend for the directors (many of them are already professors in the School of Music). Currently, there is very little support for the band from the School of Music. I long for a time when the ENTIRE BAND is able to travel to at least one Big Ten road game every season, and this isn't going to happen unless there is support from athletics.
They are called the colorguard and they very much deserve to take the field with the band!

Sadly, I have to agree with craw0092 on this one. I heard several disparaging comments in my section about the poor quality of the band performance. If our band had not been wearing the maroon and gold, they could have been mistaken for Edina or Eden Prairie or several of the larger marching bands in the metro.

We can make all the excuses about an abundance of freshmen, lack of time for preparation, etc., but in the end the U of MN is a part of the B1G. Having big, loud, crisp marching band performances is one of the things that sets the college football tradition of the B1G apart from other conferences. Not only was this a big stage for the football team and the U in general, it was a big stage for the band as well.

As a U of M alum and a MN resident, I expect more out of the "Pride" of Minnesota.

On a more positive note: I, too, was mesmerized by the baton twirlers.

Considering your last post was in March 2014- also supporting the classless craw0092 I have to assume u are nothing but each other's sock puppet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find it hilarious that I can question the band performance on Thursday, but you guys can all criticize the football team and it is accepted. I really don't see a difference and quite honestly, after seeing your poor classless responses to a concerned alumni's post, I am glad I did.

I will continue to bring up things as you guys continue to criticize our team and our staff.

Craw, you have made your point. Now, please give it a rest.

Pregame was great on Thursday, and the crowd was great during as well. If you aren't in the stadium for this every game, you're missing such a huge part of college football.

[/B]

I don't get that the Spirit Squad is funded by the Athletics Department, but not the Marching Band. Wisconsin's band is part of their Athletics Department.

It will be nice to see a UM travelling band (not necessarily the whole ensemble all the time, but in rotation) accompany the football team to every away game.

In bowl games, they should all travel.

Beth Goetz, are you reading this?

I don't get that the Spirit Squad is funded by the Athletics Department, but not the Marching Band. Wisconsin's band is part of their Athletics Department.

It will be nice to see a UM travelling band (not necessarily the whole ensemble all the time, but in rotation) accompany the football team to every away game.

In bowl games, they should all travel.

Beth Goetz, are you reading this?
Keep in mind that marching band is a for credit class (1 credit), it's not just an extra-curricular activity (at least it was years ago). I think contacting Beth Goetz or whoever in the Ath Dept is step 2, gotta get the School of Music on board as well.

Can we raise ticket prices?

Add an optional line to season ticket renewals for an additional donation to go towards band travel/uniforms/stipends/etc. Even if everyone just gave a couple extra bucks, it would add up. Some may feel compelled to give more, and that definitely helps.

The average fan isn't going to go out of their way to donate to the band, but if they could tack on a small gift during the excitement of purchasing season tickets they might be more generous.

Top Bottom