Three notable Fleck episodes with rival coaches

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Randy:

The fly-by handshake

Fleck and Purdue coach Jeff Brohm have been rivals since both joined their schools in 2017, and the lead-up to the 2019 game included a Purdue player saying, "We owe them one." Fleck used that as a motivational tool, and after the Gophers' 38-31 win, he didn't break stride during a brisk postgame handshake with Brohm.

Floyd and the timeouts

Down 35-0 to Iowa last year in the battle for Floyd of Rosedale, Fleck called timeout with 19 seconds left in hopes of avoiding a shutout. Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz responded by calling all three of his timeouts. Afterward the 35-7 Iowa win, Ferentz explained, "We figured we'd take Floyd with us and leave the timeouts here.''

'Culture, culture, culture'

During Big Ten media days in July, Nebraska coach Scott Frost detailed his dislike of sloganeering as a motivational ploy. Aimed at Fleck or not, the Gophers coach responded after his team's 30-23 victory over the Huskers by saying, "That was truly culture vs. skill." During his postgame news conference Saturday, Fleck mentioned "culture" 19 times.

Go Gophers!!

I like my coach fighting with the other coaches.

Sports aren't life or death or a referendum on the state of society, they are entertainment and the drama makes it more entertaining.

I wasn't a huge fan of his comments after the Nebraska game because they imply success was more about his system and leadership than the talent of the players. That shorts our players a bit.

But yeah, bicker on. Let's get something going with Locksley this weekend.

Sports aren't life or death or a referendum on the state of society, they are entertainment and the drama makes it more entertaining.

I wasn't a huge fan of his comments after the Nebraska game because they imply success was more about his system and leadership than the talent of the players. That shorts our players a bit.

Agreed. I want a feisty coach that isn't backing down. Jim Wacker (RIP) had no enemies.

If everyone loves you in sports, you aren't doing everything right.

Go Gophers!!

Brohm and Frost are natural rivals being hired in the same time span. There's always a little arrogance attached to all coaches and it's natural being in the same conference.

NOW - we have an old score to settle with Bielema and I would not hold it against Fleck to either run-up the score or send some polite insults his way.

Count me in on wanting Fleck to openly pushback on other coach's bad-blood.

Maybe I'm just not partisan enough, but I thought the Ferentz three timeout thing was kind of a funny reaction to Fleck's timeout. I'd love it if we could beat him this year.
I'd liked it as well. I don't want a chummy relationship between the head coaches within the quadrangle of hate.

Agreed. I want a feisty coach that isn't backing down. Jim Wacker (RIP) had no enemies.

Go Gophers!!
If everyone loves you in live, you aren't doing it right. When we die we will all have enemies, the mark of greatness is having the right enemies.

If everyone loves you in live, you aren't doing it right. When we die we will all have enemies, the mark of greatness is having the right enemies.

"If you don't have any shadows, you aren't standing in the light"
-Lady Gaga

Yes, I just quoted Lady Gaga on a college football message board.

I don't see the bad blood between fleck and brohm. The were cordial with each other after this years game Ferentz is another thing entirely. The timeouts were a deliberate way of saying screw you to fleck and the fans and everything Minnesota. that was the cheapest unsportsmanlike thing that I've seen from a coach. Nebraska? Who cares? Frost looks like he swallowed his chewing tobacco when when asked about culture

Maybe I'm just not partisan enough, but I thought the Ferentz three timeout thing was kind of a funny reaction to Fleck's timeout. I'd love it if we could beat him this year.
On the "Pair and a Spare" podcast, JG said he wouldn't be surprised if MN is up at the end of the game in Iowa City this year and burns all the timeouts and gets flagged for trying take an extra one just for good measure.

I love the rivalry pettiness and drama. It makes this game so much fun.

In all fairness - if the Gophers were shutting someone out, and the opposing coach called a time out with :19 left to try and avoid the shutout, I suspect that some of the posters on this board would be taking shots at that coach.

it's not against the rules - but if it's not going to change the outcome of the game, I don't see the point. a loss is a loss, no matter how many points you score.

it's like the arguments in HS FB where one team gets a big lead, pulls its starters, and the other team leaves its starters in to try and score against the winning team's subs. Not against the rules, but some people see it as bad form.

Go Gophers!!
Yeah. He isn’t really getting into fights. I don’t mind fleck calling timeout to avoid a shutout and I don’t think fleck minds if it annoyed ferentz

In all fairness - if the Gophers were shutting someone out, and the opposing coach called a time out with :19 left to try and avoid the shutout, I suspect that some of the posters on this board would be taking shots at that coach.

it's not against the rules - but if it's not going to change the outcome of the game, I don't see the point. a loss is a loss, no matter how many points you score.

it's like the arguments in HS FB where one team gets a big lead, pulls its starters, and the other team leaves its starters in to try and score against the winning team's subs. Not against the rules, but some people see it as bad form.
Disagree. Might boo in the stadium because the game didn’t end, but who would take shots at the coach? For trying to score

Should you lay down?

High school teams? You think Hopkins down 50-0 on Wednesday night should pull their starters when Lakeville south does clinching the shutout? Great way to build a high school program

I don't think this is much.

Folks see someone with a lot of energy doing things "different" + winning and if they identify with the old way of doing things they feel slighted and get upset.

I'm sure some think MN should just "stay in their lane" or something like that.

I don't see the bad blood between fleck and brohm. The were cordial with each other after this years game Ferentz is another thing entirely. The timeouts were a deliberate way of saying screw you to fleck and the fans and everything Minnesota. that was the cheapest unsportsmanlike thing that I've seen from a coach. Nebraska? Who cares? Frost looks like he swallowed his chewing tobacco when when asked about culture
I had no issue with Ferentz taking those timeouts.

Almost this exact situation occurred in 2014. After narrowly avoiding a safety, and down 51-7, Iowa drove down the field and Ferentz called a timeout with 21 seconds left in the game before scoring one more touchdown to make a final score of 51-14. I'm weirdly struggling to find the 2014 Minnesota Iowa game thread though, to see what sort of opinions the board had on it.

Likewise, in 2010, as Minnesota was up 27-24 and had possession of the ball, 3rd and 13 and kneeling to run out the clock, Ferentz called a timeout with 35 seconds left.

Other notable exchanges I can recall between Gopher coaches.

-Brewster vs Brett Bielema, 2010...Brewster was a dead man walking at that point and Bielema knew it and sent him packing by going for 2 while up 20+ points in the 4Q

-Mason vs Randy Walker (RIP), 2004....Gophers lead 36-17 with 3 minutes left. On 4th and 9 Mason decides to go for it and has MBIII throw a halfback option to Jared Ellerson for a TD, giving MN a 43-17 win. Walker was visibly pissed on the sideline and sarcastically clapping towards MN sideline.

-Kill vs Darrell Hazell, 2014....this wasn't really bad blood but Kill obviously had no clue who Hazell was and shook the hand of the wrong guy. The black assistant coach for Purdue politely shook Kill's hand and then pointed him towards Hazell.

Other notable exchanges I can recall between Gopher coaches.

-Brewster vs Brett Bielema, 2010...Brewster was a dead man walking at that point and Bielema knew it and sent him packing by going for 2 while up 20+ points in the 4Q

-Mason vs Randy Walker (RIP), 2004....Gophers lead 36-17 with 3 minutes left. On 4th and 9 Mason decides to go for it and has MBIII throw a halfback option to Jared Ellerson for a TD, giving MN a 43-17 win. Walker was visibly pissed on the sideline and sarcastically clapping towards MN sideline.

-Kill vs Darrell Hazell, 2014....this wasn't really bad blood but Kill obviously had no clue who Hazell was and shook the hand of the wrong guy. The black assistant coach for Purdue politely shook Kill's hand and then pointed him towards Hazell.
Could never remember what year this was, but yeah this was pretty hilarious lol

per Randy:

The fly-by handshake

Fleck and Purdue coach Jeff Brohm have been rivals since both joined their schools in 2017, and the lead-up to the 2019 game included a Purdue player saying, "We owe them one." Fleck used that as a motivational tool, and after the Gophers' 38-31 win, he didn't break stride during a brisk postgame handshake with Brohm.

Floyd and the timeouts

Down 35-0 to Iowa last year in the battle for Floyd of Rosedale, Fleck called timeout with 19 seconds left in hopes of avoiding a shutout. Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz responded by calling all three of his timeouts. Afterward the 35-7 Iowa win, Ferentz explained, "We figured we'd take Floyd with us and leave the timeouts here.''

'Culture, culture, culture'

During Big Ten media days in July, Nebraska coach Scott Frost detailed his dislike of sloganeering as a motivational ploy. Aimed at Fleck or not, the Gophers coach responded after his team's 30-23 victory over the Huskers by saying, "That was truly culture vs. skill." During his postgame news conference Saturday, Fleck mentioned "culture" 19 times.

Go Gophers!!
It seems to me that there is a culture clash.

Culture Clash Live:

Last edited:

Top Bottom