Thoughts on the game tonight

I didn't see the game but based on the box scores I am starting to wonder if Tubby talks up a strength, that skill is going to be hurting big time. High 20's percent shooting three's.

Armelin gets 7 points and only plays 9 minutes, what is up with that.

Also looking at the box score, I would not have expected Augie to only lose by 12.

32% shooting from the field, 57% on only 14 free throws, 7 assists to 14 turnovers, 34 total team fouls and only two players in double figures is a pretty ugly stat line at any level, D2 or D1. One of the few statistical positives was hanging with the Gophers on rebounding, only being out-rebounded 44-41. You could say that one reason we stayed close is because of 3-pointers, but we only shot 8-26 from the three point line, which really isn't that great either.

I know I'm reaching pretty hard to see the positives in a loss, but it's definitely not as bad as it could've been as far as I'm concerned. But either way, a loss is a loss (even if it doesn't actually count this time).

Ralph was triple teamed almost every time he touched the ball. He continues to try and dribble when triple teamed...why Ralph? Way too many TO's for him to be effective tonight.

He just doesn't get it. If he would just pass it back out to the perimeter and allow his guards to get some open looks, they might not collapse on him so badly. Something a senior should have figured out by now.

He just doesn't get it. If he would just pass it back out to the perimeter and allow his guards to get some open looks, they might not collapse on him so badly. Something a senior should have figured out by now.

At the same time, as the announcers mentioned on the broadcast, it's hard to trust your guards when no one out there seemed to be a consistent scoring option. Either way, making a bad move in a double or triple team is never the best choice, but it must be hard to pass it out to the perimeter when you wonder if there's any chance of a guard hitting an outside shot.

team looks a bit better than last year's version.

good:
1.) guard play is shows much better perimeter D: hollins/hollins/chip/mav/rodney/joe/julian, etc all bring the D.
2.) Rodney's length will bother a lot of shooters this year.
3.) Rodney looks laser focused.. no playing for the crowd this year looking for highlight reel dunks.. just solid D, some blocks/rebound.. and some garbage points. he will never have a great feel for the game on offense.. also, he has filled out some from last year.
4.) welch and andre are ready to play.. both are filled out. welch reminds me a bit of deron williams.

bad:
1.) rebounding and overall physical play down low. Trevor is NOT a power forward.. he plays more like a small forward. Ralph is the same.. WE WILL REALLY MISS COLT AND MO WALKER. Ingram got some minutes but he has no lower body strength.. Elliott is a project. we were killed on the offensive glass.
2.) where will the scoring come from? no real great strokes in this lineup. Oto hit 1/2 from downtown but he didn't play many minutes. Chip has the best looking release and seems to have a feel for scoring but he didn't play much either.
3.) Offensive set is the same as last year. 3-man-weave then a dump down.. i have no idea why Ralph needs a touch on every trip??? cant we run a pick/roll or something? why always a dump down?
4.) post feeds are always poor angles/no angles... ie passer/ralph/hoop are a straight line so when ralph gets it, the hoop is directly behind him... this makes any post player look bad an have a ton of t/o's. need to kick to high post then to ralph at an angle..

None of our guards seem to have the ability to break down anyone off the dribble. I really didn't see any of them attempt it. That's going to be a huge issue if no one has the confidence to break down those double teams.

" Trevor is NOT a power forward.. he plays more like a small forward."

I agree with a lot of what you posted above, but I strongly disagree with this statement. Trevor may well define power forward. His physical play, low post moves, defensive presence (7 blocks tonight) and aggressiveness makes me think power forward. A small forward tends to play out on the floor, mostly plays facing the basket and is a threat shooting from the outside.

dboy, I may never be able to take anything you say seriously after that Trevor comment. How in the world can you call him a small forward? He's more of a center than he is small forward. He is a prototypical college power forward. Hell, Ralph is more of a small forward than Trevor. I also don't think we'll be missing Iverson, he was brutal last year. I agree we'll miss Mo though.

When I think prototypical PF I think Trevor. Rodney and/or Austin I can see having position labeling problems, not Trevor.

Trevor's numbers are exactly what you dream of from a PF (22 pts, 13 boards, 7 blocks) - if Trevor not being a PF is one of our worries, we should win the national championship.

good:
1.) guard play is shows much better perimeter D: hollins/hollins/chip/mav/rodney/joe/julian, etc all bring the D.
3.) Rodney looks laser focused.. no playing for the crowd this year looking for highlight reel dunks.. just solid D, some blocks/rebound.. and some garbage points. he will never have a great feel for the game on offense.. also, he has filled out some from last year.
4.) welch and andre are ready to play.. both are filled out. welch reminds me a bit of deron williams.

bad:
1.) rebounding and overall physical play down low. Trevor is NOT a power forward.. he plays more like a small forward. Ralph is the same.. WE WILL REALLY MISS COLT AND MO WALKER. Ingram got some minutes but he has no lower body strength.. Elliott is a project. we were killed on the offensive glass.
2.) where will the scoring come from? no real great strokes in this lineup. Oto hit 1/2 from downtown but he didn't play many minutes. Chip has the best looking release and seems to have a feel for scoring but he didn't play much either.
3.) Offensive set is the same as last year. 3-man-weave then a dump down.. i have no idea why Ralph needs a touch on every trip??? cant we run a pick/roll or something? why always a dump down?
4.) post feeds are always poor angles/no angles... ie passer/ralph/hoop are a straight line so when ralph gets it, the hoop is directly behind him... this makes any post player look bad an have a ton of t/o's. need to kick to high post then to ralph at an angle..

Trevor not a PF? Ok...

Really too bad Welch has the nagging injury.

But, play of the game.. Gophers up 63-60, that tiny D-II team on the break and Julian takes the charge. Glad he got out there tonight, hope the injury doesn't persist throughout the year...

But, play of the game.. Gophers up 63-60, that tiny D-II team on the break and Julian takes the charge. Glad he got out there tonight, hope the injury doesn't persist throughout the year...

That was an unbelievably frustrating play as an Augie fan. It was a 3-on-1 fast break, and to come up with nothing but an offensive foul (which also was our starting 4-man's 5th foul) was really disappointing. Smart play on his part, and just bad offense from the Vikings.

" Trevor is NOT a power forward.. he plays more like a small forward."

I agree with a lot of what you posted above, but I strongly disagree with this statement. Trevor may well define power forward. His physical play, low post moves, defensive presence (7 blocks tonight) and aggressiveness makes me think power forward. A small forward tends to play out on the floor, mostly plays facing the basket and is a threat shooting from the outside.

blocks have nothing to do with power forwards.. rodney also had blocks.. 'power forward'?

MadtownGopher said:
Most encouraging thing about tonight's game (based on the boxscore only) was Trevor's freethrow shooing. Most disappointing thing about tonight's game, Sampson's 7 turnovers.

Let's be honest...Sampson is just just too slow and clumsy - But of course he thought he would test his draft position. Ralf get ready for Europe.

That was an unbelievably frustrating play as an Augie fan. It was a 3-on-1 fast break, and to come up with nothing but an offensive foul (which also was our starting 4-man's 5th foul) was really disappointing. Smart play on his part, and just bad offense from the Vikings.

ballgame on that play.. yes, it would have been frustrating.. as a gopher fan, been on the receiving end of many frustrating calls.

When I think prototypical PF I think Trevor. Rodney and/or Austin I can see having position labeling problems, not Trevor.

Trevor's numbers are exactly what you dream of from a PF (22 pts, 13 boards, 7 blocks) - if Trevor not being a PF is one of our worries, we should win the national championship.

start thinking 'Royce White'.. 6'8", 280. boxes out, finishes thru contact... trevor tends to out jump people on rebounds ( small forward ), and goes around contact for those little 2-footers.

start thinking 'Royce White'.. 6'8", 280. boxes out, finishes thru contact... trevor tends to out jump people on rebounds ( small forward ), and goes around contact for those little 2-footers.
That's why he gets all those and-1's....

good:

bad:

To say that Welch reminds you, even a little bit, of Deron Williams is one of the most preposterous statements I have ever read....wow. I'm sure you are a big fan and a good person, but I disagree 100 percent. If he plays at all like Williams, he will average 11 points, 4 assists and 4 boards per game this season.

I have to admit, tubby has fallen out of favor with me. If this is yet another poor free-throw, poor 3 point defending team I am all for bringing in Taylor.

We defend the free throw as well as most teams.:)

3 reasons the Gophers won:

1. Mbakwe. Without him they lose by 10. On top of all the stuff he always does, he makes 12-of-13 throws! (and gets 6 of the Gophers 13 blocks). Ridiculous.

2. Rodney shadows Schilling all night long and frustrates him into a 6-for-21 night. Now I remember why he's on the floor at all. It's not his offense.

3. The foul calls in the 1st half were just a little bit disproportionate, shall we say.

Augie is definitely a top drawer D2 team. A win is a win. Seriously, I'm not down on the Gophers. The Hollinses, Joe Coleman and Welch give reason to hope for some improvement as the year goes on. They all have some chops but need some time together to get organized on offense.

3 reasons the Gophers won:

1. Mbakwe. Without him they lose by 10. On top of all the stuff he always does, he makes 12-of-13 throws! (and gets 6 of the Gophers 13 blocks). Ridiculous.

2. Rodney shadows Schilling all night long and frustrates him into a 6-for-21 night. Now I remember why he's on the floor at all. It's not his offense.

3. The foul calls in the 1st half were just a little bit disproportionate, shall we say.

Augie is definitely a top drawer D2 team. A win is a win. Seriously, I'm not down on the Gophers. The Hollinses, Joe Coleman and Welch give reason to hope for some improvement as the year goes on. They all have some chops but need some time together to get organized on offense.

I do not know if this is what you were insinuating with the fouls comment, but many have said this, it's not like fouls will always be equal every game and if they aren't it's not fair. A lot of times, fouls just mean one team is bigger, stronger, and more aggressive at drawing fouls than the other.

Think about this, Trevor Mbakwe, Rodney Williams, Joe Coleman, Andre Hollins, etc. etc. etc. are all PHYSICALLY better than every player on the Augustana roster. Is it possible they were fouling a lot more?? I'd say so.

Me too. I just want the club to stay relatively injury free the rest of the year and see how that plays out.

To say that Welch reminds you, even a little bit, of Deron Williams is one of the most preposterous statements I have ever read....wow. I'm sure you are a big fan and a good person, but I disagree 100 percent. If he plays at all like Williams, he will average 11 points, 4 assists and 4 boards per game this season.

If he is as good as Deron Williams I will personally buy you tickets for the first round NCAA games.

If he plays at all like Williams, he will average 11 points, 4 assists and 4 boards per game this season

11/4/4 is not out of the question.. he had a beautiful finish with the left hand in traffic last nite..

Any Gopher fans have thoughts on Augie's student section last night at the game? I heard/read that the students showed up in full force (for a Monday night game, four hours away from home), but I'd be curious to see what the home team's fans thought.

Also, I read on the Argus Leader game live chat that the Gopher students busted out the "O-ver-ra-ted, *clap, clap, clap clap clap*" chant. Gotta feel good getting to use that one on a D2 team. Guess maybe they're warming up for when the Gophs upset Wisconsin or another team that's better than Augie. Fans need exhibition games too, right?

(P.S. - I'm saying that with a smile on my face. Not whining/complaining. Fans can do whatever they want. I just thought it was interesting/funny to call out the D2 team that's only picked 16th in the country as it is. They must've thought we were competitive enough to merit that chant.)

Any Gopher fans have thoughts on Augie's student section last night at the game? I heard/read that the students showed up in full force (for a Monday night game, four hours away from home), but I'd be curious to see what the home team's fans thought.

Also, I read on the Argus Leader game live chat that the Gopher students busted out the "O-ver-ra-ted, *clap, clap, clap clap clap*" chant. Gotta feel good getting to use that one on a D2 team. Guess maybe they're warming up for when the Gophs upset Wisconsin or another team that's better than Augie. Fans need exhibition games too, right?

(P.S. - I'm saying that with a smile on my face. Not whining/complaining. Fans can do whatever they want. I just thought it was interesting/funny to call out the D2 team that's only picked 16th in the country as it is. They must've thought we were competitive enough to merit that chant.)

The barnyard is awful. Set your sights higher!

good:

bad:
2.) where will the scoring come from? no real great strokes in this lineup. Oto hit 1/2 from downtown but he didn't play many minutes. Chip has the best looking release and seems to have a feel for scoring but he didn't play much either. 3.) Offensive set is the same as last year. 3-man-weave then a dump down.. i have no idea why Ralph needs a touch on every trip??? cant we run a pick/roll or something? why always a dump down?

Chip does not play defense. I did not watch the game last night, but judging from last season and from the first exhibition game, he simply doesn't really get it. Very athletic, but constantly out of position and seems lost when his man does not have the ball. He chases his guy around screens way too often. I agree it would be nice to have him come in for spurts to provide scoring, but Tubby will not (and should not) throw him out there once B1G play begins for the above reasons.
Trevor is not a PF? That is completely absurd. Who is a PF if not Trevor?

I can't take anything you say seriously. The only thing Royce White has boxed out the past 2 years is police officers. Yeah I too wish Trevor was like Royce and would completely embarrass and shaft our program...sarcasm. Although he did have a promising music career....

Trevor finishes around the hoop just as good as anyone in the country (power forward?). Maybe Royce will be good, if he screws his head on right he will be, but to nag on Trevor is completely idiotic.

trevor gets pushed out of the low block too easily to be a 'power forward'.... (then he gets frustrated, flails his arms and starts throwing elbows.. ).

i'm not saying he doesn't finish around the rim, that he doesn't work hard, etc. just saying he uses his athletic ability more than he uses 'power'.

Whether the game was officiated fairly or not is not the point or even a matter of dispute, well, I guess except for the Augie radio clown. But anyway, 38 FTA to 14 for Augie is certainly 1 of 3 reasons why the Gophers won. Whatever the cause of the discrepancy. I would have to say that the officials thought Augie did not know how to body up and arm check appropriately. I am guessing they did what the coaching staff taught them to do, so that was an obvious disconnect for Augie coming in here. Maybe they do exactly the same thing in D2 with no call, I don't know.

Top Bottom