Thomas Hammock

I don't have a problem when people mention the NC's. I don't see it being any different than Notre Dame mentioning their NC's and it is going on 30 years since they last won one or any different than Michigan and it has been 15 years since they last won one.

Yeah, you guys go ahead and 'rip' on Minnesota for being irrelevant the past 5-6 years.

Have fun.

5 or 6? Funniest thing I've read here in a while! Try 50 years.

Forgive us for not seeing "our time" of mediocrity coming. Remember all you jokers predicting the demise of Bielema and the rise of Brew? Laughable stuff then and now.

Wisconsin is in a class of its own. They're the only Big Ten team to lose to a Rose Bowl to the MWC. Kudos.

False.

First of all, I highly doubt that you're even a Gopher fan, given that you have 7 posts and they're all on Thomas Hammock threads.

Next, if you've ever been to a Gopher game, you would know that the majority of the fans who sit between the 20s were alive and well the last time the Gophers won a national championship. Hell, most probably have kids who were alive themselves the last time the Gophers won a national championship. In fact, I would wager that there are more than a handful who have been alive for all 6 (which, last I checked, is greater than zero) of Minnesota's national championships.

As long as I have a breath in me, I will continue to lord Minnesota's dominance in football over both of its border rivals. Come talk to me when either Wisconsin or Iowa has 1 national title, let alone 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6.

Dwight_Schrute_Tee_by_Sangel99.jpg

5 or 6? Funniest thing I've read here in a while! Try 50 years.

Forgive us for not seeing "our time" of mediocrity coming. Remember all you jokers predicting the demise of Bielema and the rise of Brew? Laughable stuff then and now.

Cute. You don't remember 2003, do ya? You know, where the Gophers were ultimately 4 quarters from going to the Rose Bowl themselves? Being relevant according how? Going to Bowl games? Or just the Rose Bowl or better? That being the case, congrats on being relevant for 7 whole years. Well done!

Formo, you know nothing about relevance. Unless we are discussing the 1940s.

Like I mentioned in a previous post you had no response for, if you measure relevance in your life from a football team you have absolutely nothing to do with, congrats! You sum up a Wisconsinite. Do you also have a drinking problem, fondle children and dabble the delicacy of human flesh from time to time???

Keep trying for that ever elusive National Title...

One of the better posts by a Becky fan in this thread. But let me dispute something quick.. The bolded: Sounds like something a bandwagoner says. I'm not calling you one, but that's what it comes across. The facts are while Wisconsin has been pretty good (but not good enough to beat a non-BCS school in the biggest Bowl game they've ever played) right now, Minnesota has a history worthy of chest-thumping. Even 50 years later.

Yeah, you guys go ahead and 'rip' on Minnesota for being irrelevant the past 5-6 years. You damn well know your time is coming too. Just remember during the time you guys are 'owning' the B1G that you'll never be able to compare your NC trophy case to ours. Just saying.

Have fun.

Hah! The past 5-6 years? Did you mean 50-60 years?

Seriously though, you guys are completely right. Any impartial observer would obviously say that Minnesota has the better football program...

Also, where can one find the overall head to head statistics for UM vs. UW? All I can find is a wikipedia page for Paul Bunyon's Axe, which didn't start til 1948. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Bunyan%27s_Axe

Minnesota went 11-3 while playing for the Slab of Bacon. So Wisconsin is 36-24-3 in the battle for Paul Bunyon's Axe (1948-2011) 3-11 for the Slab of Bacon (1930-1943), and 1-3 from '44 to '47. That makes it 40-38 since 1930. So yes, obviously Minnesota is a much superior football program. Thank god the game hasn't changed since pre-1930.

Hah! The past 5-6 years? Did you mean 50-60 years?

Seriously though, you guys are completely right. Any impartial observer would obviously say that Minnesota has the better football program...

An impartial observer would also say that fans who sit on a rivals' message board waiting for their chance to defend their team constantly are just very insecure and have no life. I seriously think some of you have some kind of software that alerts you every time "wisconsin", "badgers", or "becky" are mentioned on gopherhole so you can immediately come on here and defend your team.

An impartial observer would also say that fans who sit on a rivals' message board waiting for their chance to defend their team constantly are just very insecure and have no life. I seriously think some of you have some kind of software that alerts you every time "wisconsin", "badgers", or "becky" are mentioned on gopherhole so you can immediately come on here and defend your team.

I find this board incredibly entertaining, and occasionally a good B10 football discussion. You are right, I have no life and am incredibly insecure.

I find this board incredibly entertaining, and occasionally a good B10 football discussion. You are right, I have no life and am incredibly insecure.

I just find it funny how, whenever anything is mentioned about wisconsin, there are several badger fans on here immediately "defending" their team. Many add zero to any discussion about the Gophers or Big Ten. Therefore, yes I think there are some that are insecure and have no life.

Thanks. Also the only Big Ten team to win back to back Rose Bowls.

You win some and you lose some.

Most current recruits were only 6 or 7 when That happened ... is it still relevant?

Also, where can one find the overall head to head statistics for UM vs. UW? All I can find is a wikipedia page for Paul Bunyon's Axe, which didn't start til 1948. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Bunyan%27s_Axe

Minnesota went 11-3 while playing for the Slab of Bacon. So Wisconsin is 36-24-3 in the battle for Paul Bunyon's Axe (1948-2011) 3-11 for the Slab of Bacon (1930-1943), and 1-3 from '44 to '47. That makes it 40-38 since 1930. So yes, obviously Minnesota is a much superior football program. Thank god the game hasn't changed since pre-1930.

In the first paragraph of the Axe wiki page it mentions the overall head-to-head record, "The trophy is a symbol of one of the most storied rivalries in college football, representing the most-played rivalry in Division I-A football, with 120 editions dating back to 1890. The Golden Gophers lead the all-time series, 59-53-8, while the Badgers lead the Axe's series, 36-24-3."

Our NC's don't matter because they were so long ago, yet the Packers' titles from roughly the same era are part of the reason they're the greatest NFL franchise in the history of ever.

Wisconsin fans box themselves so easily.

People who rip on history not being "relevant" don't have it. Simple as.

To quote Fergy

"I'm so 2008, you're so 2000 and late. I've got that boom boom boom, that future boom boom boom."

It appears that the popular benchmark for relevance is currently 2008.

We can also conclude that the American Revolution is irrelevant and has no bearing on our world as it stands today.

Hammock basically sums up all of Brewster's staff. The second he gets a "better" offer he jumps at it. Examples Withers to UNC, Roof to Auburn, Fisch to Seattle, and McDonald to Cleveland (I think). I'm glad he's gone if that's how he was going to look at his job here. I love the fact that Kill's staff is very sturdy and sticks with him through thick and thin.

Hammock basically sums up all of Brewster's staff. The second he gets a "better" offer he jumps at it. Examples Withers to UNC, Roof to Auburn, Fisch to Seattle, and McDonald to Cleveland (I think). I'm glad he's gone if that's how he was going to look at his job here. I love the fact that Kill's staff is very sturdy and sticks with him through thick and thin.

This is the first of those that's not actually an upgrade, though. Plus, the rest of those were actually decent enough to leave in the offseason, not jump ship in the middle of a contract like B. Arnold.

The 6 National Championships really get under the Badger fans skins. If it didn't, they wouldn't be rushing over here to stamp their feet like little boys every time it comes up.

Congratulations on your national championships.

Which school has the better football program?

Princeton
Harvard
Yale
Minnesota

The rationale in this thread would say that Minnesota is the worst of those 4 by a long shot. Gopher fans' argument for what defines a major program is just incredibly preposterous. It reminds me of arguments made in kindergarten.

But seriously, congrats on the National Championships. All said and done I would prefer Wisconsin to have 6 national championships than 0.

Princeton
Harvard
Yale
Minnesota

The rationale in this thread would say that Minnesota is the worst of those 4 by a long shot. Gopher fans' argument for what defines a major program is just incredibly preposterous. It reminds me of arguments made in kindergarten.

But seriously, congrats on the National Championships. All said and done I would prefer Wisconsin to have 6 national championships than 0.

If you can't defeat their arguments, resort to a kindergarten reference. Brilliant!

Princeton
Harvard
Yale
Minnesota

Oh, and by the by, your mom!

And the most recent (1960) was awarded before Minnesota lost their Bowl game. I'm not sure 2 or 3 saw any legit NCs.

Did I ever mention, Wisconsin won a ton of Boxing NCs in the 30s and 40s? Yeah, I know. Who cares. Same with Gopher NCs that none of us saw.

Well Maybe Badger fans on the boxing forum would care. We don't care because we're here talking football. I can see why you'd belittle 6 National Championships though. Simple jealousy.

This is the first of those that's not actually an upgrade, though. Plus, the rest of those were actually decent enough to leave in the offseason, not jump ship in the middle of a contract like B. Arnold.

It's an upgrade and it is the offseason.

Top Bottom