This stat about Leidner pretty much sums it up!

With no receivers. Leidner is a below average passer. That isn't going to change. We have terrible Wide Receivers, so neither are helping our passing game out.

Calling ML below average is an insult to average

Total QBR, which is ESPN's QB stat that takes rushing and passing into account, has Leidner ranked 48th in the country. Bryce Petty is 38, Connor Halliday is 44, Tommy Armstrong is 53, Matty Mauk is 72. Leidner is 5th in the Big Ten and Wisconsin's QB's aren't even ranked.

He's not that bad...

He is pretty bad. You can use a made up stat to say he isn't or you can watch the games.

Can I try to summarize your thoughts...

We lose-Liedner's fault.
We win-Any QB would have won.

Seems silly when put like that, huh?

I agree that is silly.

It is also silly not to admit he was a bad quarterback this year.

Can I try to summarize your thoughts...

We lose- It was the OLines fault and to many damned dropped passes. Nothing the QB can do!
We win- See Mitch can overcome them all!

Seems silly when put like that, huh?

Yet we read it after every game.

I agree that is silly.

It is also silly not to admit he was a bad quarterback this year.

Oh, ML7 was bad at times this year. He was also good at times. He is inconsistent with a lower ceiling than any of us would like. However, he was our best option and most likely will be next year.

Oh, ML7 was bad at times this year. He was also good at times. He is inconsistent with a lower ceiling than any of us would like. However, he was our best option and most likely will be next year.

Quite reasonable and quite true.

Any person on the planet is bad sometimes and good sometimes at something

On the whole, he was bad this year at playing quarterback

That's the problem.

He is pretty bad. You can use a made up stat to say he isn't or you can watch the games.
There's a reason college and NFL teams are using advanced stats to analyze players. You can stay in 1980 and judge based off watching, while the rest of us move ahead with actual numbers. Leidner is by no means a great QB, but he's average-above average, especially in our system. The posters calling him a D2 QB are just laughable.

There's a reason college and NFL teams are using advanced stats to analyze players. You can stay in 1980 and judge based off watching, while the rest of us move ahead with actual numbers. Leidner is by no means a great QB, but he's average-above average, especially in our system. The poster calling him a D2 QB is just laughable.

Fixed it. Oh and he's still dreaming of a Phil Nelson comeback too.

There's a reason college and NFL teams are using advanced stats to analyze players. You can stay in 1980 and judge based off watching, while the rest of us move ahead with actual numbers. Leidner is by no means a great QB, but he's average-above average, especially in our system. The posters calling him a D2 QB are just laughable.

The problem with our system though is that it's not as good as the top tier systems like Wisconsin, so in order to beat those types of teams we need to change the formula, which presumably starts with a better passing QB. Kill already admitted today in some comments that we have work to do. My worry is that Kill will give Leidner a pass because of his MCL injury reasoning that that's the reason for his poor passing this season. I think that would be a huge mistake, this team needs and deserves a better passer at the helm so it would be a mistake not to have an open competition In my opinion.

The problem with our system though is that it's not as good as the top tier systems like Wisconsin, so in order to beat those types of teams we need to change the formula, which presumably starts with a better passing QB. Kill already admitted today in some comments that we have work to do. My worry is that Kill will give Leidner a pass because of his MCL injury reasoning that that's the reason for his poor passing this season. I think that would be a huge mistake, this team needs and deserves a better passer at the helm so it would be a mistake not to have an open competition In my opinion.

Of course Kill knows we have work to do. As for your 'concern', rest assured Kill knows more about the situation than you.

There's no doubt we need more passing production, but I still think Leidner can be the guy if he gets some help at the WR position. Heck, he's made his 1 good and reliable receiver a finalist for the best Tight End in the country. Get him some help and Leidner will be a great QB

There's no doubt we need more passing production, but I still think Leidner can be the guy if he gets some help at the WR position. Heck, he's made his 1 good and reliable receiver a finalist for the best Tight End in the country. Get him some help and Leidner will be a great QB

Yea it's not Leidner's fault his accuracy throwing the ball is bad it's everyone else around him.

Ridiculous giving Leidner credit for TE success. The TE is a great player regardless of the QB.

Oh give me a break.

Yea it's not Leidner's fault his accuracy throwing the ball is bad it's everyone else around him.

Ridiculous giving Leidner credit for TE success. The TE is a great player regardless of the QB.
I'm not trying to give Leidner 100% credit for Maxx, but he needs someone to throw him the ball and Leidner has been able to do that pretty consistently all year. He just needs more than one threat to catch a football. Do you think defenses are worried at all about trying to stop Fruechte? Probably not.

Well he is in the 90s in passer rating and in the 100s in completion percentage.

Kenny hill has the 5th best QBR so I am going to take it with a grain of salt.

I guess espn has the absolute perfect formula for measuring quarterbacks and liedner is the 48th best quarterback with enough snaps to qualify

Well he is in the 90s in passer rating and in the 100s in completion percentage.

Kenny hill has the 5th best QBR so I am going to take it with a grain of salt.

I guess espn has the absolute perfect formula for measuring quarterbacks and liedner is the 48th best quarterback with enough snaps to qualify
When did I say it was perfect? He's still in the upper half of the Big Ten in passer rating by the way.

Doesn't matter what system you run. Wisconsin didn't win because there system is better they won because they're guys are more talented within their system. We don't need to change what we do. Guys need to get better at what we do. Next year Mitch and his recuevers will need to improve and a running back will need to step up.

Doesn't matter what system you run. Wisconsin didn't win because there system is better they won because they're guys are more talented within their system. We don't need to change what we do. Guys need to get better at what we do. Next year Mitch and his recuevers will need to improve and a running back will need to step up.

I appreciate you hedging your bet on the word "their" by using each form of it once in your second sentence. (FYI, third time was the charm).

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sorry Leidner apologists, but that's a problem.

Can't the passing game be last w/o it being all on Leidner? This whole conversation is getting old.

I think this may be the issue:

A lot of us on this board, including myself, like Leidner as a person. He seems to be a good, hard-working kid, and the other players respect him. I want to see a guy like that succeed.

I am not blind to his faults as a QB. He is very inconsistent - that is different than "bad" in my book. If you are bad, I take that to mean bad all the time - Leidner is only bad part of the time. I hope he can show improvement next year. BUT, if the Gophs get to week #4 or #5 next season, and Leidner is still doing the Jekyll and Hyde routine, then the coaches are going to have to make a tough decision, and give someone else a crack at the position.

Ignore the stats.

Look at what he demonstrably can and cannot do.

Mitch cannot complete a pass from a three step drop--or anything at that speed.

He just can't.

Many offenses are built around this tempo, but we can't even threaten to do this.

Do you knuckleheads realize what a bonus this is to an opposing defensive coordinator? They can ignore fully 30% of the preparation they'd usually spend on a team!!

For the record, I really love Mitch and enjoy rooting for him.

Can't the passing game be last w/o it being all on Leidner? This whole conversation is getting old.
I don't think anyone, myself included, is putting it all on Leidner, but with him being the one throwing the football you have to put much of it on him. Open receiver aren't much good if you can't get it to them.

I don't see Navy on the list, but when a Flexbone team(GT) has more passing yards and better completion % than you there is more than a little bit of work needed to fix your passing game.

I'm not saying Leidner is great, but why don't our offensive line or receivers get partial game for the lack of a passing game? I was at the game today, can't remember a time when a receiver ran a route to gain separation.
I agree and sometimes you have to tip your cap. Wisconsin seemed to be locked down on the receivers and they were able to put some pressure on Leidner. Their defense was very solid.
when the Gophers were on defense, the Badger's Oline pass protected extremely well and eventually wore our guys out.
Mitch and this team got better this year and they are very close to punching through to the next step.

Top Bottom