This offense is good enough to have a name. What should it be?

It is time to name this unique, yet effective Gopher offense. What should it be?

• The 1000 Cuts Offense

Votes: 11 18.3%
  • 12 Yards and a Cloud of Dust

Votes: 14 23.3%
  • Fleckball

Votes: 14 23.3%
  • Other (please explain in comments)

Votes: 21 35.0%

• Total voters

Just rewatched the game and the Big 10 color guys called them the "Big Uglies" on the down where Mo was carried an additional 8 yards by the O-Line.

They also called them the "Lunchpail Line" or similar given their nothing fancy, just get it done style of play (which they also offered was fun to watch).

Too bad Nagurski was not a lineman when he played. Probably something that could be derived from him but doesn't quite fit for the position.

Mo will (sadly) be gone after this season, and we've already seen Ciarrocca leave the team on one occasion, but this offense (and offensive philosophy) will remain here until such time as Fleck departs (which will hopefully never happen).

So... if it was up to me, I'd pick a name that's descriptive of this style/philosophy, rather than something named for an individual coach or player.

I'm repeating myself, but time of possession has always been the key factor. Controlling the ball, keeping our defense off the field and rested.

This offensive philosophy puts pressure on the opposition by making them stand and wait (and wait, and wait) for their chance with the ball.

But it is also dynamic and intimidating.
KC's game is balanced attack, spread the defense to open running lanes, and make first downs. It all equals TOP dominance.

Kfan talent calls the shots in this town. I’ll wait til gaarrddssy/pa/barreiro suggests a nickname.

Maybe a new contender.....have seen a bunch of references to the offense (and team as a whole) as a well oiled machine. So maybe the offense is referred to as The Machine. Or take the grinding teams down part and go with The Pulverizer

I thought I heard on an interview (but of course can't find it), PJ referred Tanner and Kirk as "Ham and Eggs".

Was listening to John Johnson aka "Corn Nation's" diatribe after the Gophers 2020 Season win over Nebbie where he was talking about Mo at that time. Very complimentary that Mo was not going to give you a superstar run BUT he could be counted on to get 5 yards when you needed it. He went on to say that late in the game he was getting those 5 yards and made "the dagger cuts in our body" that wore Nebbie down.

My mind went to..."Dagger Cut Crew" to honor John's very colorful language as he lamented yet another loss to Minnesota...

Slant and Gophers!

As ball control (the ball is the program) is our bread and butter, A version of Remember Murray’s recommendations …. The Tic Tock Offense

How about (what you have all been waiting for). Or (about frikin time). 3 yards and a Mo vapor trail? Or my personal favorite gopher Indy…..

I thought I heard on an interview (but of course can't find it), PJ referred Tanner and Kirk as "Ham and Eggs".
Had a phrase back in high school where we called your everyday Joe a ham & egger.

Why don't more teams play the time of possession game?
Not flashy. When it doesn't work people will say your team is boring. I absolutely love the KC version of our offense. I don't care if outsiders say it's boring. As long as it works and we are winning games.

Some people are really irritated by the "check with the sidelines". I have no idea why.

Not flashy. When it doesn't work people will say your team is boring. I absolutely love the KC version of our offense. I don't care if outsiders say it's boring. As long as it works and we are winning games.

I love the fact that we are among the few teams that stress TOP.

If you were the opposing coach, what would you do to counter?

Some people are really irritated by the "check with the sidelines". I have no idea why.
I have zero issues with the way KC uses it.....I hated it with a passion last year and I think that is why others are still annoyed with it. The sideline check offense is very common, what we were doing last year however was a complete joke, Morgan running around making last second adjustments right up to the final second of the play clock. It was a disaster under the joke of an OC we had running the show for the past 2 seasons.

Another contender for offensive nickname that I don't think has been mentioned but I am too lazy to go look......the Pick Your Poison Offense......you load up to stop the run we kill you through the air, you drop off in coverage and we will never put it up.

Top Bottom