This offense is good enough to have a name. What should it be?

It is time to name this unique, yet effective Gopher offense. What should it be?

• The 1000 Cuts Offense

Votes: 11 18.3%
  • 12 Yards and a Cloud of Dust

Votes: 14 23.3%
  • Fleckball

Votes: 14 23.3%
  • Other (please explain in comments)

Votes: 21 35.0%

• Total voters

Mo-MEN-t-UM

Mo for both Mo Ibrahim and Morgan, MEN for the Extra year guys and because we are playing like Men against Boys, t for ?, and UM for obviously U of M

Laughing to myself as I'm picturing Michael Keaton in one of my favorite old time movies Night Shift write Pros/tit/u/tion on a blackboard during a scene LOL!

Mo-MEN-t-UM

Mo for both Mo Ibrahim and Morgan, MEN for the Extra year guys and because we are playing like Men against Boys, t for ?, and UM for obviously U of M

Laughing to myself as I'm picturing Michael Keaton in one of my favorite old time movies Night Shift write Pros/tit/u/tion on a blackboard during a scene LOL!

You do realize PJ does not believe in momentum.

Just rewatched the game and the Big 10 color guys called them the "Big Uglies" on the down where Mo was carried an additional 8 yards by the O-Line.

They also called them the "Lunchpail Line" or similar given their nothing fancy, just get it done style of play (which they also offered was fun to watch).

Too bad Nagurski was not a lineman when he played. Probably something that could be derived from him but doesn't quite fit for the position.

Mo will (sadly) be gone after this season, and we've already seen Ciarrocca leave the team on one occasion, but this offense (and offensive philosophy) will remain here until such time as Fleck departs (which will hopefully never happen).

So... if it was up to me, I'd pick a name that's descriptive of this style/philosophy, rather than something named for an individual coach or player.

I'm repeating myself, but time of possession has always been the key factor. Controlling the ball, keeping our defense off the field and rested.

This offensive philosophy puts pressure on the opposition by making them stand and wait (and wait, and wait) for their chance with the ball.

But it is also dynamic and intimidating.

Of the choices listed, 1000 Cuts is the best, in my opinion.

The Cold-Blooded Offense? (a play on Minnesota weather).

The Long Wait Offense? The DMV Offense?

-------

The Freeze-Out Offense? (The P.A. system could blast Springsteen's "Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out" when the Gophers take over on offense).

Last edited:

Mo will (sadly) be gone after this season, and we've already seen Ciarrocca leave the team on one occasion, but this offense (and offensive philosophy) will remain here until such time as Fleck departs (which will hopefully never happen).

So... if it was up to me, I'd pick a name that's descriptive of this style/philosophy, rather than something named for an individual coach or player.

I'm repeating myself, but time of possession has always been the key factor. Controlling the ball, keeping our defense off the field and rested.

This offensive philosophy puts pressure on the opposition by making them stand and wait (and wait, and wait) for their chance with the ball.

But it is also dynamic and intimidating.
I think what you're getting at is something like an hour glass.

Not as dynamic or intimidating as your hoping for, but it is a good visual, of slowly, relentlessly, over time, burying your opponent.

Out Of Time Offense.

The lyrics fit really well. The crowd at The Bank could sing along to the P.A. when the Gophers are in Victory Formation.

Just thought of something....shouldn't be 1000 cuts should be 10,000 cuts since we are in the land of 10,000 lakes :)

Minnesota's BMW......... Brockington, Morgan, Wright.

Top Bottom