This Is The Week

ncgo4

Reaction score
We all hoped to get a shot at Iowa with a 4-0 record. Well, here we are, we've got our opportunity. Aside from the amusing toilet & bathroom stories, what do we know about Iowa, and what needs to happen to win this game?

I'm assuming we will not just be able to run up the middle like we have. We'll need to throw a good deal better. Or not? Which QB will give us our best shot? Will our full compliment of running backs be in place? If so, who will shine? Does Kirkwood start?

What should we expect from Iowa's offense?

This is the most critical week of the year. So please, everyone, help me out to understand what to look for. Gracias.

I agree, the drinking and bathroom humor regarding Iowa can take on a life of it's own and sidetrack us from the real reason we're here.

Starting QB for Iowa is Jake Rudock - Sophmore. It appears Coach Ferenz is fine tuning the team around their strengths as can be shown by Rudock's stats:

8/31 Northern Illinois L 30-27 21 37 256
9/7 Missouri State W 28-14 19 28 193
9/14 @Iowa State W 27-21 14 23 160
9/21 Western Michigan W 59-3 10 15 134

What I find most interesting is Rudock threw 37 times in the first game (Loss) and has gradually thrown the ball less each game. They seem to be a team that compares quite closely with us - fewer passes/passing yards. Their running game has taken up the slack and they have more emphasis on "ball control" over the quick hitter type pass plays. The longest pass in the Western Michigan game was 29 yard.

I'm seeing a pound the line/ball control game on both sides....that is unless Kill has been holding back on the passing (which I doubt). I see a low scoring game 17-10 (Gophers) with both offenses getting no more than 300 yard each. Basically, ground and pound on both sides.

The biggest difference I see from the stats you posted is that Iowa has demonstrated that they CAN pass and we have yet to do that. Which QB will give us the best chance to do some passing?

The biggest difference I see from the stats you posted is that Iowa has demonstrated that they CAN pass and we have yet to do that. Which QB will give us the best chance to do some passing?

I would be really surprised if we don't start Leidner. Nelson likely won't be 100% and we'll need a top effort out of our qb to win. It is a home game which will help. I'd be surprised if either team blew the other one out. I think it will be low scoring and close.

As Woody Hayes once said, there are three things that can happen when you throw the ball and two of them are not good. The Gopher offense has been close to the vest, showed a little not a lot. This is not last years Gopher Team. This is an offensive line that is jelliing, and relishing pounding the rock. Josh Campion is a beast. And we are getting to the second level. Bak is a Senior, Epping a 4th year Junior. Christiansen has made the calls against 4-3, 3-4, over and under defenses. We have seen teams throw every thing against stopping the run. And how about Ben Lauer the 6'6 three hundred and something left tackle. I realize the read option can leave the end unblocked. But you don't get outside, like Leidner did on the goal line without a seal on the outside. Add to that Henry and Williams are good blocking from the fullback or h back position. We are running the ball, throwing it when there is man coverage. And for all those Leidner needs to throw better, he is at 60%. Yes, it could be better. But don't think we will suddenly become an Air Raid offense. That's not what this is about. Think of the Nebraska teams of the 80's, 90's who ran the ball 55-65 times a game rushing for 350-450 yards. Throwing it maybe 10 -12 times a game. How did that work out? We are a rushing team in what seems to be a spread dominant league. We are who we are. We are 4-0.

On defense can we stop their run or are we going to see that john Riggins wannabe, Weissman gashing us up the gut followed by tight end down the seam like last year? I hope that our front seven is better and can have lane discipline which they lacked last year vs Iowa.

I agree, Iowa can pass, but they are much more comfortable running the ball. I know that Quarterback ratings are not really indicative of how performance was on the field, but Leidner has a higher QB-rating than Rudock (133.9 vs. 132.9). Another snippet: Leidner has twice the rushing yards that Rudock has.

So who can lead us to victory? A healthy Leidner over a gimpy (still) Nelson.

husker70
As Woody Hayes once said, there are three things that can happen when you throw the ball and two of them are not good. The Gopher offense has been close to the vest, showed a little not a lot. This is not last years Gopher Team. This is an offensive line that is jelliing, and relishing pounding the rock. Josh Campion is a beast. And we are getting to the second level. Mottla is a 5th year Senior, Epping a 4th year Junior. Christiansen has made the calls against 4-3, 3-4, over and under defenses. We have seen teams throw every thing against stopping the run. And how about Ben Lauer the 6'6 three hundred and something left tackle. I realize the read option can leave the end unblocked. But you don't get outside, like Leidner did on the goal line without a seal on the outside. Add to that Henry and Williams are good blocking from the fullback or h back position. We are running the ball, throwing it when there is man coverage. And for all those Leidner needs to throw better, he is at 60%. Yes, it could be better. But don't think we will suddenly become an Air Raid offense. That's not what this is about. Think of the Nebraska teams of the 80's, 90's who ran the ball 55-65 times a game rushing for 350-450 yards. Throwing it maybe 10 -12 times a game. How did that work out? We are a rushing team in what seems to be a spread dominant league. We are who we are. We are 4-0.

Pay attention, boyz. This is football. This is B1G football. We beat Iowa going away. 3 TD win. I realise this is hard for Gopher fans to accept. We are closing fast on Wisky level football. The good thing is that we will not plateau there. This running game will not be the 3 1/2 quarter running game of the Mason years. Gas to finish.

As Woody Hayes once said, there are three things that can happen when you throw the ball and two of them are not good. The Gopher offense has been close to the vest, showed a little not a lot. This is not last years Gopher Team. This is an offensive line that is jelliing, and relishing pounding the rock. Josh Campion is a beast. And we are getting to the second level. Mottla is a 5th year Senior, Epping a 4th year Junior. Christiansen has made the calls against 4-3, 3-4, over and under defenses. We have seen teams throw every thing against stopping the run. And how about Ben Lauer the 6'6 three hundred and something left tackle. I realize the read option can leave the end unblocked. But you don't get outside, like Leidner did on the goal line without a seal on the outside. Add to that Henry and Williams are good blocking from the fullback or h back position. We are running the ball, throwing it when there is man coverage. And for all those Leidner needs to throw better, he is at 60%. Yes, it could be better. But don't think we will suddenly become an Air Raid offense. That's not what this is about. Think of the Nebraska teams of the 80's, 90's who ran the ball 55-65 times a game rushing for 350-450 yards. Throwing it maybe 10 -12 times a game. How did that work out? We are a rushing team in what seems to be a spread dominant league. We are who we are. We are 4-0.
I thought Mottla had to hang up the cleats.

On defense can we stop their run or are we going to see that john Riggins wannabe, Weissman gashing us up the gut followed by tight end down the seam like last year? I hope that our front seven is better and can have lane discipline which they lacked last year vs Iowa.

The difference? More depth and size at the defensive tackle position. TC is coming into his own. Wilson is 250 in the middle, and now Campbell has become a freak at Outside Linebacker. We have shown pretty good interior lane discipline. And have tackled well on boundary. But most importantly Tracy Claeys has seen Iowa twice in Big 10 play, possibly has seen them at Northern Illinois and the staff knows them. I am confident in the staff to not only have a game plan, but also make half time adjustments. Let me say that again, this staff has made half time adjustments. That has not happened at Minnesota in decades.

The difference? More depth and size at the defensive tackle position. TC is coming into his own. Wilson is 250 in the middle, and now Campbell has become a freak at Outside Linebacker. We have shown pretty good interior lane discipline. And have tackled well on boundary. But most importantly Tracy Claeys has seen Iowa twice in Big 10 play, possibly has seen them at Northern Illinois and the staff knows them. I am confident in the staff to not only have a game plan, but also make half time adjustments. Let me say that again, this staff has made half time adjustments. That has not happened at Minnesota in decades.

if your having to make halftime adjustments then you've already lost. Iowa runs the ball and uses play action passing, if your D doesn't already know exactly what the hawks are gonna do on every play then they watched the wrong game film for the last 15 yrs.

for IOWA: we run the same zone blocking scheme we have since 2001, you'll see ALOT of Weismann and bullock off left tackle with a few counters to the right when your DLine starts to cheat over. in the passing game Ruddock is getting better, he's a more efficient passer than he was vs NIU and MIzzou St. his pass attempts and yrds have been going down because of how well the RBs have running the ball. In the CMU game he only played a series or 2 in the 3rd qtr. as for our receivers Powell is our burner, KMM is the catch-em-all guy, and cotton is the other "trust worthy" guy, youll see some tevan smith but like Powell hes still a little fresh to trust in crucial situations. Our TEs are in the same mode as they have been since Dallas Clark, CJF is our big stud do it all guy, Ray Hamilton is a very very good backup (may have NFL potential when its all said and done).

On D: our DL is not very good at pressuring the QB but they seem to be pretty good in the run game. our 3 LBs are all on the Butkis watch list, by far and away the strength of our team, unlike the past decade we've actually been blitzing with our LBs. Our DBs are not ready for B10 play, Lowry has finally grown in to B10 CB and Tanner Miller fits the bill of an Iowa Safety (5? drafted in the last 10 yrs) but the other 2 spots are very iffy. We've been using a lot more nickel unlike yrs past when we would put a LB on the other teams best WR and hope it turns out for the best (or hope the QB forgets hes on the team).

on ST: KMM had a great game vs CMU, but its the 1st time this season hes actually not fair caught the ball, maybe its a hint of the future, or maybe it was a 1 game fluke? Jordan Cotton is our kick returner, hes a lot more scary than KMM but doesn't have the stats to back it up. Hes had a few that seemed to be 1 defender away from being 6 but that only means something if it actually happens.

coaching: you and everyone else in the country knows exactly what KF is gonna do, there are no secrets or gameplanning for the matter needed when playing IOWA, its line up and see who wins. We've been really bad in the penalty game (just a lot of dumb ones), we haven't had a clean game yet. We'll need that if we want to compete this weekend so that's something to keep an eye on.

Im a born and rasised hawkeye (CR and Iowa City) then moved with my wife to Bismarck back in 2009 and became a bison fan (her alma mater) so you guys get to hate me from 2 sides. I think Kill is a great guy and seems to be a pretty good coach but the health thing really worries me (as well as a lot of other people) as an outsider. Siezures are a very scary thing to itness as you guys have seen far too many times, I just hope its not the stress of B10 football that's making things worse, hopefully JK can get things under control and limit anything that may help trigger those unfortunate events. Everytime he has one all I can think of is that Urban Meyer series of events from a few yrs back when he knew football life would harm him.

hoping for a good game but for my sake I hope ours is just a little better :)

Nice post. Thanks and here's hoping when the final score goes up the Gophers have at least 1 more point than our neighbors. Importantly, everyone walks off the field healthy.

Hey All2Matt,
Thanks for giving us some good insight. If I remember last year correctly, the Hawkeyes thought the Gophers players were talking smack about how the Gophs were going to out physical the Hawkeyes by stuffing the run and running down Iowa's throat. Iowa won/dominated the game on line of scrimmage (both ways). I would love to see it reversed this year.

My Bad, make it Bak who has to have double digit starts at this point.

Bak is a R-Jr, so 4th year player & we get him back again at RG next season.

Next Year projected 2-Deep (look at all those upper-classmen!!!)....

LT- R-Sr Lenk (R-So Lauer) (* Lauer could just as well be listed as projected starter)
LG- R-Sr Epping (R-Jr Bjorklund)
C- R-Jr Christenson (Sr- T Olson)
RG- R-Sr Bak (R-So Hayes)
RT- R-Jr Campion (R-Jr Bush)

Bak is a R-Jr, so 4th year player & we get him back again at RG next season.

Next Year projected 2-Deep (look at all those upper-classmen!!!)....

LT- R-Sr Lenk (R-So Lauer) (* Lauer could just as well be listed as projected starter)
LG- R-Sr Epping (R-Jr Bjorklund)
C- R-Jr Christenson (Sr- T Olson)
RG- R-Sr Bak (R-So Hayes)
RT- R-Jr Campion (R-Jr Bush)

Wow, this unit keeps looking better and better. The Mays brothers and hopefully Ragnow will be added soon as well.

Actually Jonah Pirsig is behind Campion. He is a redshirt Freshman. 6'9 and 320

Top Bottom