This guy needs more recognition

zambam

Reaction score
Career game for EE, played big and within himself.

Really improved since he has gotten more minutes.

Agreed - he played great. I look forward to him attacking the rim next year and hopefully drawing a few more fouls, but he sure is playing with more confidence.

Great to see.

Go Gophers!!

Agreed. He complements our guards well. Makes quick passes when he gets the ball and let's the guards do their thing while he does a nice job of cleaning up their missed shots and finishing when he's around the rim. Doesn't hold onto to the ball and slow down the offense. With the way our guards/wings are playing he's exactly the type of big guy we need.

Also, only 3 fouls in 26 minutes. Improvement! Stat line: 12 points, 7 rebounds(4 offensive!) 2 blocks 2 steals 1 assist and just 1 turnover!

Career game for EE, played big and within himself.

He's been a better player than the starter in front of him all year, actually. But with the starter going down he's finally gotten the minutes to showcase his abilities. He's no offensive juggernaught yet, but he brings almost everything else each and every night, particularly hustle and tenacity.

EE's minutes going up is yet another reason why the Gophers are a much better team now than 3 weeks ago.

All EE needs to do is play D, set screens, pass, rebound and finish around the rim.

Did it well tonight and stayed out of foul trouble.

I am still not completely sold on EE. He has been crucial for us, yes, but he's still very raw. I was hoping that his redshirt year would help refine him a bit, but I don't think he's quite there yet. Even in tonight's game he made a few boneheaded/uncoordinated plays. That being said, I am really going to enjoy watching him play in the coming years. I feel like this offseason could be wonderful for him, as he has shown flashes of what he can become.

I am still not completely sold on EE. He has been crucial for us, yes, but he's still very raw. I was hoping that his redshirt year would help refine him a bit, but I don't think he's quite there yet. Even in tonight's game he made a few boneheaded/uncoordinated plays. That being said, I am really going to enjoy watching him play in the coming years. I feel like this offseason could be wonderful for him, as he has shown flashes of what he can become.

Big men from small towns don't start to really develop until their junior year...if at all. EE has big upside and if he can get stronger, especially in his base...I think he is going to be huge for us over the next couple of years.

Big men from small towns don't start to really develop until their junior year...if at all. EE has big upside and if he can get stronger, especially in his base...I think he is going to be huge for us over the next couple of years.

Yeah, I'm not trying to rip on him, but I'm not quite sold yet. I definitely have high hopes for him, and he seems like the kind of kid who will put in as much work as is necessary for him to get to the next level of his game.

Agreed. He complements our guards well. Makes quick passes when he gets the ball and let's the guards do their thing while he does a nice job of cleaning up their missed shots and finishing when he's around the rim. Doesn't hold onto to the ball and slow down the offense. With the way our guards/wings are playing he's exactly the type of big guy we need.
This is what I notice - on rebounds he keeps the ball high & gets it on its way in a flash.

The high post offense they ran through him kept the Gophers in the game in the first half. Without Elliott, we don't win that game.

I was really hard on him early in the season, when it looked to me like Tubby made a mistake with that scholarship. The kid has come a LONG WAYS. Add a reliable free throw to his tool box, and he's an actual weapon.

Love what he's doing, but I really want to see him stop the protesting and whining.

Love what he's doing, but I really want to see him stop the protesting and whining.

Why? Apparently the refs favor that kind of crap. Just ask Bo Ryan, the Wisconsin Floppers, and their snotty fans. Maybe he can be like Colton and just accept it. Look how far it got Colton.

His offensive game will come, he's not without hope in that department imo. More importantly, right now he's an active 7' footer who gets his nose in there and scraps. He runs the floor like a madman, runs the high post like a vet, no "Oh sh*t I've got the ball", he knows right where to move it to keep things flowing. Contests shots, scraps for rebounds, nice player & will only get bigger, stronger & more skilled.

EE also makes GREAT cuts to the basket. A few of his points came off of him making a fantastic cut.

His offensive game will come, he's not without hope in that department imo. More importantly, right now he's an active 7' footer who gets his nose in there and scraps. He runs the floor like a madman, runs the high post like a vet, no "Oh sh*t I've got the ball", he knows right where to move it to keep things flowing. Contests shots, scraps for rebounds, nice player & will only get bigger, stronger & more skilled.

+1

Did anyone notice how much bigger (taller and wider) he was than anyone MTSU put out there last night? Maybe that had something to do with his production. I understand why people really like him, he doesn't have much natural ability but works/tries hard and that is respectable. In reality, he's Kyle Sanden without the shot.

I thought he played like he usually does. He just didn't get into foul trouble and have to sit over half the game.

It's funny how some people can't get behind a 7' player unless they are the next David Robinson. Most 7' are slow, uncordinated-at first, and have few post moves.

But not all 7' have physical and mental toughness, a willingness to set picks, box out and rebound, and to contest shots. There would be few teams in the big ten who would turn down EE. Some people just can't like a player unless they look pretty doing everything.

I don't know what some folks aren't seeing with EE. This year I've seen him step out and hit a few 10-15 ft jumpers, has shown some decent post moves a few times, he stands his ground, fights for position and hits the glass. Those are excellent starting points for a near 7 footer. Those guys are still getting used to their bodies at this point. Remember how Spencer all the sudden turned into a decent post scorer as a senior? These guys develop over time. I think EE can be a very good C by the time he's done, although he needs to keep working, get in better shape and hopefully get a few inches on that vertical

It's funny how some people can't get behind a 7' player unless they are the next David Robinson. Most 7' are slow, uncordinated-at first, and have few post moves.

But not all 7' have physical and mental toughness, a willingness to set picks, box out and rebound, and to contest shots. There would be few teams in the big ten who would turn down EE. Some people just can't like a player unless they look pretty doing everything.

+1

I don't know what some folks aren't seeing with EE. This year I've seen him step out and hit a few 10-15 ft jumpers, has shown some decent post moves a few times, he stands his ground, fights for position and hits the glass. Those are excellent starting points for a near 7 footer. Those guys are still getting used to their bodies at this point. Remember how Spencer all the sudden turned into a decent post scorer as a senior? These guys develop over time. I think EE can be a very good C by the time he's done, although he needs to keep working, get in better shape and hopefully get a few inches on that vertical

+1

EE has good basketball instincts (the play where they tried to go at him on a screen and he was able to get low and deflect the pass comes to mind) and once he gets used to his body he'll be good.

Top Bottom