This CF season is pointless

SanDiegoGopherFan

Reaction score
With everyone getting worked up over how the Gophers are doing so far, you have to remember that this so called "season" is anything but normal. You have OSU at 1-0, then BYU at 6-0. come on man. Yet, OSU is ranked oh just a little bit higher and only played one game

Relax, drink more like i've been doing, eat good pizza and wait till next year. If next year sucks like this has so far, then PJ is the child of glen mason and tim brewster.

Agree. Hard to take the appearance of sports seriously when the government is telling us that there's an existential threat surrounding us.

"let's give them just enough of their precious little sport to keep them pacified."

We suck this year and based on what we are seeing will suck for years to come. Not to mention, at this rate, PJ will be fired in about 2 seasons.

It's a throwaway season. When Wiscy's QB has to sit for 21 days after a lights-out performance, simply because a germ landed on him....it's a throwaway season. That, however, doesn't change the fact that the Gophers D is pathetic.

We suck this year and based on what we are seeing will suck for years to come. Not to mention, at this rate, PJ will be fired in about 2 seasons.

I'm going to add this to my over-reaction list.
This is an overreaction for a couple reasons.

1. That we will suck for years to come. Offensively this hardly seems true at all.
2. PJ will be fired in 2 seasons. That's also ridiculous for multiple reasons.

This is about the best year to suck if you are going to suck.

I don't think we'll be horrible.
Defense can tightening some things up and maybe a change in player or two will do that.

Offense could still outscore some teams.
Offense has potency. Play calling was the problem last night.

1. That we will suck for years to come. Offensively this hardly seems true at all.

How is PJ being fired in two seasons (or less) ridiculous for multiple reasons? People last night post game are already talking about last year being a flash in the pan, a result of an easy schedule, and having the previous coaches players versus this year with all his own recruits.

How is PJ being fired in two seasons (or less) ridiculous for multiple reasons? People last night post game are already talking about last year being a flash in the pan, a result of an easy schedule, and having the previous coaches players versus this year with all his own recruits.
Even if it was a flash in the pan...I'll take an 11-2 season every 4 years with Fleck. That was a lot of fun.

These are all arguable points, so I'm sure some will disagree.

1. Everything off the field has been exceptional. We extended Jim Wacker for God's sake simply because he had kids going to class. (look it up). He was not good, and we extended him simply because of that. PJ has the kids getting good grades and staying mostly out of trouble. At the U of M that's significant.

2. COVID / Budget. I don't know what his buyout would be, but if things were normal, the idea of firing him in the next two seasons is simply something our athletic department isn't capable of doing. With COVID, multiple that by 10x.

3. He brought the first sell out to TCF since whenever... The idea we'll fire someone who has enough popularity to sell out a game, then go through 1-2 seasons without letting fans in, then firing him is inexplicable even if we lost a lot of games. Whether you hate him or whether you think it was because fans just loved the 2016 class, he's popular enough to buy some time.

4. He already did more last year than any other "flash in the pan" season we had in 20-40-50 years. It took us a couple years to get to the point of firing Glen Mason after everyone thought he hit his ceiling.

After laying this out I feel a little bad that I had to actually type this out for you. I'm almost presuming you were just trolling me at this point.

The team was 2-2 against top 15 teams last year.
They were 9-0 against teams not in the top 15

If we can have that flash in the pan once every 7 years Fleck is the best coach since Warmath or maybe even earlier

Geezo Bezo (God I love Wackerisms) on the original post -

This may end up being a disappointing and a learning season for us, however, I'm grateful as a college football fan (not a big NFL guy) that it is on Saturday and take comfort in that. There will still be some amazing plays that I couldn't even mimic as a kid with a Nerf football, amazing upsets and some pretty dame good ball played sporadically.

IT's all about these at this point for me -

1604169332474.png

So if this year doesn't count, and year one didn't count, does this mean it's PJ's 2nd year leading the Gophers? Or is it his 3rd year?

I'm taking everything this year with a grain of salt, including cfb

When you parse out the offense and the poster's "at this rate" qualifier, yeah, you certainly can claim it's an overreaction. I think your response is an overreaction, as is you having a list.

Even if it was a flash in the pan...I'll take an 11-2 season every 4 years with Fleck. That was a lot of fun.
I'm thinking you don't know the definition of that phrase...

So if this year doesn't count, and year one didn't count, does this mean it's PJ's 2nd year leading the Gophers? Or is it his 3rd year?

I think your reading too much into this to bolster your own confusion.

This season is vital to the future of major college athletics. Every single game is $$$$$$ to support future seasons. That is all it is.
I was optimistic the gophers would be good. Optimism faded week 1. It is gone after week 2. However, I still have full faith in PJ

I have no problem this year as long as we don't lose any recruits because of being bad. I also prefer to win over lose though

Top Bottom