Things I Learned at the Barn Last Night

Liar, liar, pants on fire!

"The fact remains that I was admitted into Wisconsin and I would have easily met all requirements to gain entrance into the college of business..."

But that isn't what you posted, Pewter. You lied! Why not "man up" and admit it? Apparently you are congenitally incapable of admitting when you are wrong. Not a good trait, pal.

The rest of your post is a roundabout concession that it is, indeed, far easier to be admitted to the University of Minnesota than it is to be admitted to the University of Wisconsin -- thus conceding that the "safety school" moniker does apply!

Thanks for playing.

The rest of your post is a roundabout concession that it is, indeed, far easier to be admitted to the University of Minnesota than it is to be admitted to the University of Wisconsin -- thus conceding that the "safety school" moniker does apply!

Thanks for playing.

I love when the band dorks come over here and spout this "safety school" tripe. Do you tuba players realize that the University of Minnesota has a higher enrollment than Wisconsin? Do you think that affects things like admission rates? There are 10,000 more students here, genius. What would happen to the relative admission standards if the U lopped of the bottom 20% of active students to be like Wisky? Is this an apple to apples comparison?

BTW...thanks for playing.

Safety school! Another admission!

"I love when the band dorks come over here and spout this 'safety school' tripe. Do you tuba players realize that the University of Minnesota has a higher enrollment than Wisconsin? Do you think that affects things like admission rates? There are 10,000 more students here, genius. What would happen to the relative admission standards if the U lopped of the bottom 20% of active students to be like Wisky? Is this an apple to apples comparison?"

What is a "safety school"? It's easier to get into -- right!

The University of Minnesota is a fine school. But if you want to go to a Big Ten university and you can't get into Wisconsin -- come on up!

The U is now harder to get into then Madison. Facts are facts buddy.

Prove it!

"The U is now harder to get into then Madison. Facts are facts buddy."

Show some objective evidence! Just because a couple noseblowers claim it doesn't make it true. Was the "general college" closed -- you know, the UM unit which accepts anyone with a pulse?

Here is basic information about what it takes to be admitted to the great state university:

http://www.admissions.wisc.edu/images/UW_FreshAdmitExpect.pdf.

"The U is now harder to get into then Madison. Facts are facts buddy."

Show some objective evidence! Just because a couple noseblowers claim it doesn't make it true. Was the "general college" closed -- you know, the UM unit which accepts anyone with a pulse?

Here is basic information about what it takes to be admitted to the great state university:

http://www.admissions.wisc.edu/images/UW_FreshAdmitExpect.pdf.

Haha, then he goes and cites something from the University of Wisconsin admission website.

Here, let's use a more non-partial system:

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandr...s/minneapolis-mn/university-of-minnesota-3969

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/madison-wi/university-of-wisconsin-3895

So there you go, the University of Wisconsin is listed as 52.7% while the University of Minnesota is listed as 52.5% for Fall 2008 acceptance rates ... But why does it matter? As long as one's name isn't Northwestern or Iowa (polar opposites :D ) , all Big Ten schools are going to have about the same enrollment figures.

But I will say this, you've been own'ed TUBA PLAYER.

Oh, and by the way, you all are tools for being in CSOM or whateverthehellthenameis Wisconsin Business School.

Critical thinking must not be taught at Minnesota!

Thanks, SonofThe Varsity, for posting those links. You looked merely at the percentage of applicants admitted to the two universities and concluded that because Wisconsin admitted a higher percentage of applicants, it was easier to get into Wisconsin. But you didn't consider the possibility that Minnesota attracts a "dumber" class of applicants, did you? Your own link confirms that's exactly what happens!

Take a look at the links you posted, then click through the same link on both sites. Here is a comparison of SAT scores submitted by the students at each school who were admitted (28% of applicants at Wisconsin and 17% of the applicants at Minnesota, which shows Wisconsin draws a more from a national application base -- since the ACT is most popular in the midwest). What do you see (again, from the links you provided!)? Minnesota dips lower into the application pool on each part of the SAT test!

Again, keep trying, folks. Find some objective measure where Minnesota ranks ahead of Wisconsin. Many have tried and so far all have failed!

Here is the comparable data from SonOfTheVarsity's links:

This graph shows the 25th to 75th percentile SAT scores of admitted students at University of Minnesota - Twin Cities. The average SAT score for University of Minnesota - Twin Cities falls between these values:
Verbal:530 and 670
Math: 580 and 710
Writing: 520 and 650

This graph shows the 25th to 75th percentile SAT scores of admitted students at University of Wisconsin - Madison. The average SAT score for University of Wisconsin - Madison falls between these values:
Verbal:550 and 670
Math: 610 and 710
Writing: 560 and 670

What a Debate

Honestly, I hate the UW-Madison/Minnesota admissions debate. The overwhelming majority of students who apply to both, get into both. I go to Minnesota - I was accepted at both the U of M and UW. I have lots of friends who were accepted to both; as well as friends accepted to Minnesota but denied at Wisconsin, and vice versa.

UliKunkel, yes, critical thinking is taught at the University of Minnesota. And all you've done on this debate is try to skew the numbers towards UW - your "average" SAT score proof is hardly proof at all. The only thing that proves is that the U of M has a greater variation in SAT scores (a function of a higher enrollment), not that Minnesota applicants as a whole are "dumber" (I know you were using this in relative terms, but still, I think it's mildly ridiculous to use any form of the word "dumb" when discussing students admitted to prestigious, Big 10 public research universities).

The 25th percentile of U of M applicants achieve equal numbers with their UW counterparts on the SAT verbal and math tests; since the range in scores is wider, the top U of M students outperform UW students on those tests (and, conversely, the lowest U of M students are outperformed by the lowest UW students. I may as well take a page out of your book and argue that the U of M does a better job of fulfilling its mission as a public university by accepting a wider range of, well, the public.

Finally, you're right that the ACT is more popular in the MidWest because of what colleges in the MidWest ask for. However, lots of students who are applying to these two schools are also considering going to schools on the coasts, and have taken the SATs. Looking at those links, both UW and the U of M frequently share applicants with Cornell and NYU. I'm from Wisconsin, and I took the SAT. But hey, what are a few unfounded claims among friends?

Regardless of how they got there, anyone graduating from the U of M or UW has put in a lot of work and has a bright future ahead of them. Both are fine schools. Having grown up 30 minutes from Madison, I wanted to go to college a little farther from home, and I have a sister in the Twin Cities who I wanted to spend more time with. I love the U of M, but I'm sure if I'd gone to UW, I'd be happy there as well; it's not so much where you go to college, it's what you do while you're there.

I'm glad we got the required biannual UW vs. UM admissions debate out of the way. Some really great statistics and analysis were brought into the fold this time. I am honored to be the one to put this edition of the mandatory argument to rest in the same way that all previous versions of this dispute have been. By concluding that it doesn't matter where you go to college because what you get out of it depends entirely on what you put into it. End scene. See you in 6 months!

lol @ this pissing contest.

White Whale shoots wide right!

Sez the White Whale: "The only thing that proves is that the U of M has a greater variation in SAT scores (a function of a higher enrollment), not that Minnesota applicants as a whole are "dumber"..."

The only problem with that theory, Whale, is that Wisconsin enrolls a larger freshman class each year -- 5700 at Wisconsin vs. 5300 at Minnesota! We have more freshmen each year at Wisconsin and the bottom of the SAT range is higher at Wisconsin -- higher = smarter, and with a larger class.

Don't believe me?

Link: http://www.admissions.wisc.edu/images/UW_Postponed_Applicant_FAQ.pdf. (See the top of page 2 -- 5700 class size at Wisconsin)

Link: http://admissions.tc.umn.edu/admissioninfo/fresh_faq.html. (5300 class size at Minnesota)

Remember that wwe started down this path when Pewterschmidt told a giant lie which I caught him at. He claimed that he wasa admitted to the Wisconsin School of Business as a freshman but went to the "more selective" Carlson School. I proved that no one gets into the business school at Wisconsin until after earning 24 credits, thus branding him a liar. Rather than "manning up," he twisted and turned, digging a deeper hole.

I agree completely that we are talking about two outstanding public universities. But no one who claims that it is harder to get into Minnesota than it is to get into Wisconsin can prove it objectively because it isn't true.

Every claim you yellow rodents have made has been disproved so far with linked citations -- you can click and see the truth. Anyone else want to take a shot?

Anyone else want to take a shot?

Sure. It's Wisconsin. You guys suck. You have a team full of pasty, white, unathletic floppers, and your coach resembles the grinch. You're probably short, fat, have a small penis, and can't find anything better to do but to argue * admissions * on a basketball messageboard.

Excuse me while I turn my head and laugh ..

Hahahahahaha ..

Seriously though ..

Top Bottom