The Thing I Admire Most About Fleck

FIFY, that's how i read the post and it is accurate in that context and a reasonable person who was glass half full on Fleck could see it that way. I remember Mason's frustration towards the end and IIRC he was quoted as saying there was a ceiling on how well someone could do at Minnesota due to many factors, geography, stadium, training facilities, admin support. Most of which are way more favorable now for PJ, but we haven't moved and the weather and knife wielding polar bears are still an issue.

Side point from the thread, but I think a decent salesperson (recruiter) can spin the northern climate as a positive for football. Playing in the devil's asshole down south in 95° humidity with full pads in August and September isn't fun and is worse than playing in 30°s-50°s in November here. Plus, the line PJ quotes over and over about the number of northern NFL playing in December and January rings true.

There was a small band of GHers that was beating the 9-win drum. This group either didn’t recognize the roster deficiencies on the 2017 team or their dislike of Fleck was so great that they wanted nothing more than to see him fail based on their faux expectations. Given that many of these same posters easily dismissed the 5-7 regular season in 2015, it becomes clear which camp they resided in.
This post is on par for you JG. A "small band" thought we could be good in 2017, the year after we won 9-games the year before and the only explanation is they wanted the Gophers to fail. It sounds as dumb now as it did then.

It wasn't a "small band", many didn't think losing ML7 would be as big of a deal as it turned out to be, and many didn't buy into our Coach dialing back expectations (which apparently now never happened I am told). In addition, I doubt that "small band" knew at that time that our coach would publicly say our record wasn't important to him that year - or that he would make coaching decisions that demonstrated that. No one re-writes history better than you. They were planning to play RS too, right?

This post is on par for you JG. A "small band" thought we could be good in 2017, the year after we won 9-games the year before and the only explanation is they wanted the Gophers to fail. It sounds as dumb now as it did then.

It wasn't a "small band", many didn't think losing ML7 would be as big of a deal as it turned out to be, and many didn't buy into our Coach dialing back expectations (which apparently now never happened I am told). In addition, I doubt that "small band" knew at that time that our coach would publicly say our record wasn't important to him that year - or that he would make coaching decisions that demonstrated that. No one re-writes history better than you. They were planning to play RS too, right?

There is one other contender for that crown

PJ has done great.
He absolutely dialed back expectations his first 2 years here. How soon we forget.
For those seasons. His long term expectations have been higher than any coach we’ve ever had. Opening press conference: we will compete for national championships.
Question for Spoofin:
If Fleck had said in year 1, I think we can compete for the west title and we expect to do so, and then finished 5-7, what would you have said?

For those seasons. His long term expectations have been higher than any coach we’ve ever had. Opening press conference: we will compete for national championships.
Question for Spoofin:
If Fleck had said in year 1, I think we can compete for the west title and we expect to do so, and then finished 5-7, what would you have said?
Yes, for those seasons. If he had done what you proposed in year 1 I think it is safe to say I would have taken a jab or two at him. Just as many did at TC for predicting 10-wins. However, please remember I did not come in this thread and rip on PJ for lowering expectations - I objected to the OPs statement that he has never done that. His long-term expectations have been as high (not sure I would say higher - even Brew talked about "natty's") as any coach and so far he is delivering.

I like best is that he brings in players who are able to play at a Big Ten level..game after game after game. barely beating Kent State and Ohio U and losing to NMSU was the craps.

Spoofin’s like the girls on Facebook who like to air all their dirty laundry for all the world to see and cat fight. In fact spoofin may be a woman for all I know. I feel like I should have popcorn for this.

Have to admit that 3.0 or greater is a pretty good number no matter the coursework.

The Graduate School indicates that a 3.0 is really the bottom to go forward.

Progress.

There's a world of difference between "discussing the timetable" and "discussing aspirations."

It would've been foolish for Fleck to come in saying "We're going to be good right away" - there was way too much to do to say such things.

However, there's nothing at all inconsistent in saying "We're may not be great right away, but that doesn't change our goals - our goals are to get back to what Minnesota used to be: a blueblood."

Have a hard time seeing how anyone could fail to see the distinction.

Top Bottom