Nebraska 3-9
NW 3-8
Indiana 2-9

Teams MN has lost to:
OSU 10-1
Iowa 10-2
Illinois 4-7
Bowling Green 4-8

That is pretty putrid when you consider where the program was at just 2 years ago. Sure hope things change starting this off-season.

Woah,

the team is 2-2 against teams with winning records and 5-2 against teams with losing records.

I’m not sure what you want to say. That’s pretty typical of a team that is 7-4

Would be better if they were 10-1
I agree

Losing to BG was not a fluke, it was extremely poor game prep and coaching. OSU was expected but we played well. Iowa is an automatic loss no matter how bad they are at their place and Illinois_ see BG. Somebody needs to reflect and decide the winning part has something to do with culture.

Losing to BG was not a fluke, it was extremely poor game prep and coaching. OSU was expected but we played well. Iowa is an automatic loss no matter how bad they are at their place and Illinois_ see BG. Somebody needs to reflect and decide the winning part has something to do with culture.
7th winning big ten season since 1975

best 3 year stretch of conference records (15-10) since 61, 62, 63

I too would prefer to be 11-0

In other words, the Gophers can beat average or below-average teams, but they still struggle to beat good teams. and they somehow find a way to lose at least one game they should have been able to win.

which is pretty much the same situation as the Gophers were in most seasons under Mason and Kill/Claeys.

I am not disputing that there has been some improvement under Fleck. But - at this point - Fleck has not elevated the program to "the next level." 2019 is an outlier until it happens again.

As far as the conference record, the Gophers certainly benefitted from playing in the West Division and this year from a favorable cross-over schedule.

Sure, it could be worse. But is that really the rallying cry for Gopher FB - "it could be worse!"

Purdue 7-4
Miami Oh 6-5
Maryland 5-6
Colorado 4-7
Nebraska 3-9
NW 3-8
Indiana 2-9

Teams MN has lost to:
OSU 10-1
Iowa 10-2
Illinois 4-7
Bowling Green 4-8

That is pretty putrid when you consider where the program was at just 2 years ago. Sure hope things change starting this off-season.
winning games is hard, last I checked were still in the big ten so we have to bring it every week. Minnesota is not gonna win 10 games every year were not a blue blood program

In other words, the Gophers can beat average or below-average teams, but they still struggle to beat good teams. and they somehow find a way to lose at least one game they should have been able to win.

which is pretty much the same situation as the Gophers were in most seasons under Mason and Kill/Claeys.

I am not disputing that there has been some improvement under Fleck. But - at this point - Fleck has not elevated the program to "the next level." 2019 is an outlier until it happens again.

As far as the conference record, the Gophers certainly benefitted from playing in the West Division and this year from a favorable cross-over schedule.

Sure, it could be worse. But is that really the rallying cry for Gopher FB - "it could be worse!"
An occasional “outlier” season is a step up from the past 50 years.

Purdue 7-4
Miami Oh 6-5
Maryland 5-6
Colorado 4-7
Nebraska 3-9
NW 3-8
Indiana 2-9

Teams MN has lost to:
OSU 10-1
Iowa 10-2
Illinois 4-7
Bowling Green 4-8

Not bad considering where the program was four years ago, or last year.

No kidding 2019 is an outlier.
The by far best season in 55 years is an outlier by definition.

We have finished in the top 25 3 times since 1963

one 20th
One 18th
One 10th

so it is the best season in 57 years. It’s gonna be an outlier.
99 and 03 were outliers too

100%. Consistently beating the bad and average teams is a significant step up for this program.
Yeah I don’t get it.
When we are a team that can consistently win half the time against top 25 teams and win nearly all the time against non top 25 teams we will be at Iowa and wisconsin level.

I guess if we obsess on it long enough, the outcome will change? I’ll set the o/u at 6.5 years for it to become a “non-topic”.
I'd take the Over. Heck I'm still bummed about the Pacific loss in '86, first year I ever had season tickets.

I'm still here though.

I’ll obsess about that game until we see some changes. OC, aggressiveness on offense, etc.

Inexcusable to loss to worse team in the MAC in year 5.
Yeah the BG loss was awful. How nice would it be to be 8-3 right now.

The BG loss was embarrassing, but it wouldn't change much of anything for the Gophers at this point this year anyway. The Illinois loss is worse because it was a conference game, but big ten upsets happen to everyone except Ohio State. Of course there has been some poorly coached games, it's ridiculous to expect every game to go well.

As others have said, this program isn't some historical juggernaut. I don't understand the people wanting Fleck out at this point. One thing he's shown to do really well is change the offensive focus depending on his roster, something very few college coaches do well. There's still work to be done and we all hope they keep improving, but the program is in better shape then it's been in many years, which admittedly isn't a high bar to exceed.

The BG loss was embarrassing, but it wouldn't change much of anything for the Gophers at this point this year anyway. The Illinois loss is worse because it was a conference game, but big ten upsets happen to everyone except Ohio State. Of course there has been some poorly coached games, it's ridiculous to expect every game to go well.

As others have said, this program isn't some historical juggernaut. I don't understand the people wanting Fleck out at this point. One thing he's shown to do really well is change the offensive focus depending on his roster, something very few college coaches do well. There's still work to be done and we all hope they keep improving, but the program is in better shape then it's been in many years, which admittedly isn't a high bar to exceed.
Don't think many folks seriously want Fleck out. He's young, super energetic and hard working, has up-graded recruiting, and is an exceptional force in moulding good citizens. A fine representative of the U of M.

What fans want is for PJ to change his best in game management, offensive scheming, and personnel handling. He has a lot of room to grow. The price to excel is high. Most fans are rooting for him.

The team's performance this season did not match the preseason optimism. Despite the best depth that they had in years, key injuries factor in heavily.

IMHO, the Gophers coaching group is not yet at the level of experience of Wisconsin and Iowa. It will come in time. PJ Fleck is learning as a coach.

The thing that stands out to me from the original post is that Colorado won 3 more games after the Gophers beat them. Well BG fans are probably wondering how the Gophers won 7.

The ILL loss is the worst of the season by far, BG was bad but at the point in the season we lost of Ill makes it the worst loss imo

Heading into this game tomm with the opp to win 9 instead of 8 really changes the season for me.

The only inexcusable loss this season has been Bowling Green. I think we all agree it was inexcusable, so why argue?
To date our best win in 2021 is Purdon't.
The season isn't over yet; we have a chance to notch a new best win against the Whiskey Buggers.

Judging a season before it's over is fruitless and stupid. 8-4 with a major rivalry win is a lot different from 7-5 and getting skunked against IA and WI.

Losing our Homecoming game to a 31 point underdog was one of the worst losses in program history. Seriously.

I was at the Dump back in 1983 when we were on the wrong end of an 84-13 score, and this season's debacle against BG hurt worse than that. It was an absolutely devastating and emotionally crushing defeat.

The SOS of 57 is what it is.
MN had nothing to do with making the schedule.
The schedule was a golden opportunity with a senior heavy team to finally win the West.
Next year the schedule may not be as easy and the team less talented and not as experienced.

Win tomorrow and things look much better...
This is it. The B1G west is one of the worst conferences in football, and this was a down year for the division even by that standard. There was an opportunity this year that has been missed.

A component of that opportunity is beating your rivals, who are also having a down year. We bungled the Iowa game and it doesn’t look good for WI. However winning today would salvage the season. Today’s game is a huge opportunity, and I would contend tells us much more about the program than any bowl performance.

Go Gophers!

Top Bottom