The sky IS NOT falling...

If Northwestern can win the West two of the past four seasons, the Gophs certainly can. If Illinois or Purdue win it this season, the Gophs certainly can win the West. Enough talent exits for them to do so. The coaching staff needs to make adjustments to its gameplan to give players in the best opportunities to succeed, both in preperation and during the game.

When you are not able to control the game, you need to be able to adjust and counter punch. Fleck and Co have not demonstrated the ability to do so over much of his 5+ years. Need to change their best here. The King of the Too's needs to find that crack on his shoulder. Still no reason Gophs can't win eight regular season games this year and get to a nice bowl game. Upset PSU Saturday and the season will have something special, a good shot at nine wins, and a better bowl.
But they haven't won it and "certainly can" doesn't win titles. I get the optimism but expectations we're high this year for a lot of us and it's very disappointing to say the least.

Illinois has already beaten Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota. That’s a good head start.
I certainly agree they look like the strongest team in the West right now. But they need to go to Michigan and play Purdue and Nebraska at home. There is a chance for one and maybe two losses ahead.

Nebraska is playing with a lot of emotion right now and had a good chance to win at Purdue. I think they probably knock off a couple of teams down the stretch.

I certainly agree they look like the strongest team in the West right now. But they need to go to Michigan and play Purdue and Nebraska at home. There is a chance for one and maybe two losses ahead.

Nebraska is playing with a lot of emotion right now and had a good chance to win at Purdue. I think they probably knock off a couple of teams down the stretch.
Nebraska’s interim HC is actually a way better coach than Frost. Frost never won two B1G games in a row in five years. Interim coach has already done it.

If Northwestern can win the West two of the past four seasons, the Gophs certainly can. If Illinois or Purdue win it this season, the Gophs certainly can win the West. Enough talent exits for them to do so. The coaching staff needs to make adjustments to its gameplan to give players in the best opportunities to succeed, both in preperation and during the game.
They've won 3 B1G titles in my lifetime, were you thinking of Indiana for some reason?

One would think that we could, just like we all thought we’d beat Purdue and ILL. Even if we beat PSU, not guaranteed that we’d run the table. We should, but we won’t.

NW and Rutgers could beat us based on the last two games’ performances.
Based on the last two games several teams ahead can beat us. Any optimistic outlook depends entirely on making some adjustments in game plans and attitude.

It is almost beyond belief we could get a 92-yard kick return and quick TD to start the second half and not have the defense take the field on fire. A quick stop and an offense playing with real spirit would have put us in control.

When players don't play with emotion you have to look at the staff. It can be changed.

Gi
But they haven't won it and "certainly can" doesn't win titles. I get the optimism but expectations we're high this year for a lot of us and it's very disappointing to say the least.
Give me a freakin' break. If either Purdue or Illinois win the West this season, there is zero doubt Gophs can win it. Period.

It’s very simple. You get above average QB play, and above average defense, and you’ll more than likely win. The QB play has been atrocious the past 2 games, even before Morgan was hurt. Really? 21 passing yards into the 4th qtr, even with Mo playing? Remember, the second TD was set up by the long kickoff return and penalty. Only had to go 4 yards to score.

The defense hung on as long as they could against Purdue, and had no clue vs. Illinois.
If you look at the teams with great QB play, they are those who can both run and pass. Pocket passers aren’t the ticket to success anymore.
I don’t see anyone like that on the roster. Where have you gone Rickey Foggie.

It’s very simple. You get above average QB play, and above average defense, and you’ll more than likely win. The QB play has been atrocious the past 2 games, even before Morgan was hurt. Really? 21 passing yards into the 4th qtr, even with Mo playing? Remember, the second TD was set up by the long kickoff return and penalty. Only had to go 4 yards to score.

The defense hung on as long as they could against Purdue, and had no clue vs. Illinois.
If you look at the teams with great QB play, they are those who can both run and pass. Pocket passers aren’t the ticket to success anymore.

DeVito is literally a pocket passer. So is O'Connell.

The same issues that Morgan had in his bad games last year are the same issues he's having this year. WRs are not getting open and dropping passes they should catch.

Could this possibly be a result of the level of competition?

Top Bottom