The Power Forward Position

dingo

Reaction score
Did Paul Carter just become the most important player on this team? Right now, with the uncertainties of Mbakwe and White, I would have to say YES!

Looking back on the "Is Paul Carter our best player?" thread takes on a whole new meaning. I would say he is now or most natural/only PF on the roster. I still dont think he is our best player, but he will have the biggest opportunity to show what he worked on over the summer. Lets hope he has bulked up a bit, is more consistent with his jumper and continues to bring his rebounding tenacity.

Other options include:
Damian: Who played PF his Sophmore year but is a bit undersized
Sampson: Who played some PF last year, but was exposed to not be quick enough

Although im disappointed that we lost two PF's, it is not like the past where this would mean starting the like of a Puchtel or Smirgsa. I believe Carter as the ability to be an above average Big Ten PF and am looking forward to watching how he handles this new role on Thursday night.

Did Paul Carter just become the most important player on this team? Right now, with the uncertainties of Mbakwe and White, I would have to say YES!

Looking back on the "Is Paul Carter our best player?" thread takes on a whole new meaning. I would say he is now or most natural/only PF on the roster. I still dont think he is our best player, but he will have the biggest opportunity to show what he worked on over the summer. Lets hope he has bulked up a bit, is more consistent with his jumper and continues to bring his rebounding tenacity.

Other options include:

Although im disappointed that we lost two PF's, it is not like the past where this would mean starting the like of a Puchtel or Smirgsa. I believe Carter as the ability to be an above average Big Ten PF and am looking forward to watching how he handles this new role on Thursday night.

So...Does someone have Travis Bush's number on speed dial??;)

Other options include:

Basically, we're right where we were last year (with the exception of Bostick), and we're adding on Cobbs and Rodney. Although I don't like it - it could be worse (knock on wood).

Personally, I liked what I saw out of Paul Carter last year. Going from JUCO to BT is a transition, not as much as coming from HS, but it is. I think he showed glimpses of a great player, and I'm guessing an offseason of conditioning (he was so skinny when he got the the U), and practice will make him solid in this role. I also think DJ could play as well, just based on his great D alone. And yes, putting the Twin Towers as center and PF also worked well for us.

Keep in mind - we were a tournament team last year without our new players. We're still getting 2 new guys, and I'm guessing Bostick will be back.

if Dominique gets ANY minutes the gophers are either in BIG TROUBLE or blowing someone out.
This kid is a good 2-3 years away from being a contributing member of a big ten basketball team.

if Dominique gets ANY minutes the gophers are either in BIG TROUBLE or blowing someone out.
This kid is a good 2-3 years away from being a contributing member of a big ten basketball team.

and your credentials for making this statement are??

I was already expecting BIG things from PC this season. Now he is guaranteed to get a fair shot at showing Tubby what he's got. He was the most impressive player at the tipoff scrimmage imo.

Carter

I really like Carter on the floor and these latest developments are a good thing for his pt for sure. But PC as the 4 ? At 200 pounds that takes the "power" out of "power forward", doesn't it?

:) :) :)

"Keep in mind - we were a tournament team last year without our new players. We're still getting 2 new guys, and I'm guessing Bostick will be back."

That's a good point GL. I'm confident the Gophers can be competitive with the roster Tubby currently has at his disposal. But is that enough? Let's be honest, the 2 most significant guys in this year's recruiting class are the ones we lost (for now). And what we can't ignore is the rest of the Big 10 is getting better. With the improvement throughout the league, it's very possible being like last year won't be enough.

I really like Carter on the floor and these latest developments are a good thing for his pt for sure. But PC as the 4 ? At 200 pounds that takes the "power" out of "power forward", doesn't it?

:) :) :)

I agree, but last year he did Rebound like a power forward. ( look at his rebounds per min). Lets hope he put on some muscle from last year.

On a side note, maybe Damian is more suited than ever to play PF, according to his interview he has added 40lbs to his bench max.

Top Bottom