The People’s DC options

Guarantee he’s promoting from within. Peej is all about trying to build continuity. The guy from Ohio sure looks good. So does the guy at KState. Oh well.

Guarantee he’s promoting from within. Peej is all about trying to build continuity. The guy from Ohio sure looks good. So does the guy at KState. Oh well.
You are probably correct, but I think PJ’s seat is warm enough that he knows he needs a DC with experience and can’t afford to promote from within. This might be his most important hire since he’s been here, given the offensive additions that are joining this conference. The money appears to be there to afford someone with plenty of experience. I could be wrong, but if he was promoting from within, this should/could have been done already.

If promoting from within, seems like it would already be done.

To be fair, OC was also a disaster when they hired from outside.

Looking back, it's hard to believe that Sanford's offenses in 2020 and 2021 were superior what the Gophs fielded in 2022 (KC) and 2023 (GH). Sanford's 2020 offense was the second best in Fleck's time here. Everyone was spoiled coming off the incredible 2019 offense.

Looking back, it's hard to believe that Sanford's offenses in 2020 and 2021 were superior what the Gophs fielded in 2022 (KC) and 2023 (GH). Sanford's 2020 offense was the second best in Fleck's time here. Everyone was spoiled coming off the incredible 2019 offense.
Sanford was much better than conventional wisdom

But he was awful.
Flecks biggest mistake regarding coordinators has got to be KC part 2. No question

in the last "Pair and a Spare" podcast, Ryan Burns said he did not expect a new DC to be announced until after National Signing Day. He said Fleck and the (remaining) Gopher Coaches are focused 100% on keeping recruits from flipping and trying to recruit the portal. So no time for interviews.

they kicked around a number of names. Burns thought Lukabu was a strong candidate. He and Fleck worked together at Rutgers and with the Tampa Bay Bucs, so there is history between them.
And Lukabu could be out of a job after this year if Carolina brings in a new HC and they clean house.
plus, having a DC with NFL experience might be a nice recruiting angle.

in the last "Pair and a Spare" podcast, Ryan Burns said he did not expect a new DC to be announced until after National Signing Day. He said Fleck and the (remaining) Gopher Coaches are focused 100% on keeping recruits from flipping and trying to recruit the portal. So no time for interviews.

they kicked around a number of names. Burns thought Lukabu was a strong candidate. He and Fleck worked together at Rutgers and with the Tampa Bay Bucs, so there is history between them.
And Lukabu could be out of a job after this year if Carolina brings in a new HC and they clean house.
plus, having a DC with NFL experience might be a nice recruiting angle.
I really wish he'd not go with someone he's worked with in the past. Get the best available, attainable one out there.

I just don’t see the KSU DC leaving a job working for a coach with zero pressure on him to take a job for a coach for a coach who may be out of a job in a year or two
Isn’t almost every coach a year or two from losing their job in modern college football?:oops:

You are probably correct, but I think PJ’s seat is warm enough that he knows he needs a DC with experience and can’t afford to promote from within. This might be his most important hire since he’s been here, given the offensive additions that are joining this conference. The money appears to be there to afford someone with plenty of experience. I could be wrong, but if he was promoting from within, this should/could have been done already.
His seat isn’t warm after a single down year.

His seat isn’t warm after a single down year.
Perhaps a poor choice of words on my part. While I agree he isn’t about to be fired, I think he’s smart enough to realize that this conference is about to change with the addition of some high powered offenses and he can’t afford to get this hire wrong. If he gives this to someone with no prior experience as a DC, he’s taking a huge risk. I’m betting he doesn’t do that, but what do I know?

Perhaps a poor choice of words on my part. While I agree he isn’t about to be fired, I think he’s smart enough to realize that this conference is about to change with the addition of some high powered offenses and he can’t afford to get this hire wrong. If he gives this to someone with no prior experience as a DC, he’s taking a huge risk. I’m betting he doesn’t do that, but what do I know?

The only evidence I've seen that Fleck's seat is getting warm is reading a few scattered posts on Gopher Hole.

In other words... no real evidence.

The only evidence I've seen that Fleck's seat is getting warm is reading a few scattered posts on Gopher Hole.

In other words... no real evidence.

this year could be a blip. we don't know if it's a trend or not, because we need more data. in other words, if Fleck comes back with a winning record next season, then 2023 is a blip. if Fleck posts another losing season, then it looks like a trend. If it's a losing season with lots of empty seats......then people start getting nervous.

what makes things more tricky is the change in the Conference - 18 teams, no divisions, adding several traditionally strong programs. the conditions are changing - so how you evaluate the coach will likely change as well.

I just don’t see the KSU DC leaving a job working for a coach with zero pressure on him to take a job for a coach for a coach who may be out of a job in a year or two
Gets you back closer to home, is the angle I believe. But that’s it.

This is BS sorry. Don’t care what numbers say, it was an asterisk season of epic proportions.

And we lost at “home” to Iowa 0-35.

Come on dude.

Burns would constantly complain about how the routes and throws we were doing made no sense.

And then he got fired in 2021.

Don’t buy it for a second.

Sanford was much better than conventional wisdom

But he was awful.
Flecks biggest mistake regarding coordinators has got to be KC part 2. No question
I assume you mean simply because he left right away again.

If KC is here this season we’re looking at more like 7-9 wins.

I really wish he'd not go with someone he's worked with in the past. Get the best available, attainable one out there.
Attainable is quite the loaded word, here.

Why would anyone who is in the “best available” category want to work for PJ Fleck if they have no history together?

Coaching is a fraternity. Fleck is in the Schiano fraternity.

This is BS sorry. Don’t care what numbers say, it was an asterisk season of epic proportions.

And we lost at “home” to Iowa 0-35.

Come on dude.

Burns would constantly complain about how the routes and throws we were doing made no sense.

And then he got fired in 2021.

Don’t buy it for a second.

Numbers matter no matter how much you want to wish them away.

Numbers matter no matter how much you want to wish them away.
It’s neat that we piled up some yards in some games in a non-season.

Tell me more about an actual season, like 2021.

It’s neat that we piled up some yards in some games in a non-season.

Tell me more about an actual season, like 2021.

Fourth best in Fleck's tenure in conference play...and that's without the team's top running backs and wide receivers for most of the season. The 2021 offense was still better than KC 2017/2022 and GH 2023. Facts.

Top Bottom