The Only Thing We Can Do

Gold Rush

Reaction score
......is let it go. You have got to flush this one down the toilet and put it behind you. You have got to focus on Purdue and forget Bowling Green or Bowling Green in effect beats you twice. (Or even more if you let it ruin your season!)

HOWEVER --- Always remember how much that losing the Bowling Green game sucked and how rotten it felt. Losing can be a huge motivator too because we don't ever want to feel like that again so you have to try harder and put out an even greater effort the next time.

The coaches need to challenge the team to step it up, but they need to challenge themselves, too. They need to get a lot better, too. But it's not time to panic - just get back to the things you do right and let's put the mistakes behind you. It's really all you do.

(With all that said - this is the worst I have felt after a Gophers game since the Michigan debacle in the Glen Mason days.)

I let it go by Saturday night.

Beat Purdue, plain and simple. Seasons goals are still alive and well within reach. There are trophy games left, a lot of football left, Wisconsin could be 1-3 by Saturday night, what's not to be happy about?

......is let it go. You have got to flush this one down the toilet and put it behind you. You have got to focus on Purdue and forget Bowling Green or Bowling Green in effect beats you twice. (Or even more if you let it ruin your season!)

HOWEVER --- Always remember how much that losing the Bowling Green game sucked and how rotten it felt. Losing can be a huge motivator too because we don't ever want to feel like that again so you have to try harder and put out an even greater effort the next time.

The coaches need to challenge the team to step it up, but they need to challenge themselves, too. They need to get a lot better, too. But it's not time to panic - just get back to the things you do right and let's put the mistakes behind you. It's really all you do.

(With all that said - this is the worst I have felt after a Gophers game since the Michigan debacle in the Glen Mason days.)
Exactly. The Gophers got beat by an inferior Michigan State team at home one week (6 days actually) after that Michigan melt down. I heard someone say that the Gophers, in effect, let Michigan beat them twice. Can't have that happen again. Hopefully Autman-Bell can play and the Gophers make some progress in pass protection (recognizing blitzes!)

Yeah, I still feel icky and was as livid as anyone following the loss, but the season ain't over yet. I do wish we'd replace Sanford with Simon...but that's another conversation.
Yeah I can't help but ... keep thinking of that.

We look like COVID season offesne ... outside of COVID. Just inexplicable.

Beat Purdue, plain and simple. Seasons goals are still alive and well within reach. There are trophy games left, a lot of football left, Wisconsin could be 1-3 by Saturday night, what's not to be happy about?
Well said.

This type of thing used to burn me.

I would get concerned about what others would say. What would other fans think. Etc. Burn me for the whole weekend. Project that the rest of my weekend, or week, or season would go bad.

But I'm not the team. I'm a fan of the team. They didn't get it done.

Am I a better person if I become angry at the team, or am I better if I keep it in context. Understand what piece of my life this game represents. Decide if I still like watching college football and move forward as such.

Even if you are going to boil in anger, there isn't much you can do. Just be mad all week?

i was annoyed saturday even without watching (was at funeral)
but let it go Sunday ready for the next and optimistic.

Lets beat Purdue

I had an existential crisis after Saturday. A very quiet crisis, but I'm still trying to get past it. A victory over Purdue will help greatly with that.

Fleck sounds optimistic on Autmann Bell returning. He practiced some yesterday.

I’ve been trying, but there are a number of games I can’t seem to let go.
Iowa taking down our goalposts
Mase blowing the MI game
The Purdue last second kick
The botched punt against WI
Texas Tech and NC State bowl game misses from the jaws of victory
Punting from WI 37 yard-line

definitely worth noting the color, presence of blood, etc -- I hope Jalen isn't missing any problems in his gastric and colonic health with this attitude.

I love and appreciate your practicality!

Go Gophers!!

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

- Teddy Roosevelt

A guy down the street is a big USC fan (I live in San Diego). He has a huge USC flag hanging in the front yard. I walked by on Sunday and saw him doing yard work but did not see the flag. When I asked him about it, he said the Trojans had lost at home to Oregon State on Saturday. I asked him if he took it down because he was afraid that someone would make fun of him. He said that when they lose he feels mad and embarrassed (I took that as a 'Yes"). He still misses Pete Carroll. Ah, the angst of a spoiled helmet school fan who can't get used to being a 7-5 or 8-4 "mediocrity". From my lowly perspective, it seems that we would be happy with such records in many seasons. I didn't bother to point to my Minnesota t-shirt and explain our Saturday disaster. Due to his Trojan-centrism, he is only dimly aware that the Gophers exist, despite the fact that USC barely beat Minnesota in Barkley's senior year.

Bowling Green can't beat us again this year but the awful game plan and play calling will beat us multiple times if it is not changed.

Fleck sounds optimistic on Autmann Bell returning. He practiced some yesterday.
CAB is our best receiver. Mo was our best back. Mo can't play but Potts can. Does Fleck talk about needing Mo to win? No, we have depth and the next guy moved in. The same is true at WR where we have 10 guys all recruited because they have great skills. Whatever we get from CAB will be a bonus because these high ankle sprains are susceptible to reocurring.

Beat Purdue.....and there is a two week pad of optimism. I'm guessing that both teams are looking at this similarly.

Gophers last in the B10 in passing, Morgan almost last, with 51% or so completions, few TDs. The Gophers can't win in the conference without passing, so it's not a one-game problem. It needs a lot of work.

the thread title is "what can WE do?" I'm confused over whether the WE refers to the team, or the fans, because people are answering both ways.

as far as what WE can do as fans? our only choice as fans is whether or not we continue to support the team, buy tickets, merchandise, etc. Fans have no impact on the outcome of games. I suppose in a rare circumstance, an outpouring of fan sentiment might impact a coach's decision, but that would be exceedingly rare.

as far as what can the Team do? Learn from the loss. If the problems are due to technique/execution, then improve/refine the technique. if the problems are schematic - then come up with a different scheme. and if the problems are personnel based, then change the personnel, if that's what it takes to fix the problem.

the Purdue game is a very important game for the team, the program and the Head Coach. Another poor performance, and the bandwagon-jumpers will exit stage left, leaving the team with a half-empty stadium the rest of the season.

the thread title is "what can WE do?" I'm confused over whether the WE refers to the team, or the fans, because people are answering both ways.

as far as what WE can do as fans? our only choice as fans is whether or not we continue to support the team, buy tickets, merchandise, etc. Fans have no impact on the outcome of games. I suppose in a rare circumstance, an outpouring of fan sentiment might impact a coach's decision, but that would be exceedingly rare.

as far as what can the Team do? Learn from the loss. If the problems are due to technique/execution, then improve/refine the technique. if the problems are schematic - then come up with a different scheme. and if the problems are personnel based, then change the personnel, if that's what it takes to fix the problem.

the Purdue game is a very important game for the team, the program and the Head Coach. Another poor performance, and the bandwagon-jumpers will exit stage left, leaving the team with a half-empty stadium the rest of the season.
I bought back in for season tickets this season because I missed Gopher football game day's, the fun and had high hopes for this team. One loss to Bowling Green doesn't diminish all that is still out there and in front of the Gophers. For every Joyful game like Iowa in 2010 or Penn State in 2019 you get a few stinkers thrown in like Bowling Green. We're still going to be there even if the outcomes don't go our way. I'm hopeful they beat Purdue, but if they don't it really doesn't change my desire to want to go to games and support the Gophers. Saturday wasn't fun a fun game to watch, it happens.

The Only Thing We Can Do...​

is forget about the last game...just like we're supposed to forget about last season.

I did lower the expectations after last Saturday. So wont be as angry. 6-6 for the season and garbage bowl at Detroit.

This type of thing used to burn me.

I would get concerned about what others would say. What would other fans think. Etc. Burn me for the whole weekend. Project that the rest of my weekend, or week, or season would go bad.

But I'm not the team. I'm a fan of the team. They didn't get it done.

Am I a better person if I become angry at the team, or am I better if I keep it in context. Understand what piece of my life this game represents. Decide if I still like watching college football and move forward as such.

Even if you are going to boil in anger, there isn't much you can do. Just be mad all week?
Living vicariously through any sports team, college, pro or otherwise, is a recipe for a lot of disappointment in one's life. I used to get that way, too, until I realized the insanity of it. For some folks, however, it seems like that is all they have or all they know. Life must be one heckuva roller coaster for them.

Top Bottom