The Offensive Line is problem

Dirk Diggler

Reaction score
These guys got their asses handed to them by a makeshift NMSU dline. They aren't opening any holes. This was expected against USC, but against NMSU it's embarrassing.

Sadly, there really isn't anything you can do about it this year. They don't have 5 guys who can move anybody. This is going to be a killer all season. With the level of talent on this team, running the ball, moving the chains and controlling possession is crucial. We have to keep our defense off the field as much as possible.

I love Kill and the direction we're headed, but the line has nothing and it's going to cost us winnable games all year.

It was very telling when Limgrover called out the 3 seniors yesterday, saying they need to be more consistant up front. I have to believe at some point there will be a youth movement at G and C.

These guys got their asses handed to them by a makeshift NMSU dline. They aren't opening any holes. This was expected against USC, but against NMSU it's embarrassing.

Sadly, there really isn't anything you can do about it this year. They don't have 5 guys who can move anybody. This is going to be a killer all season. With the level of talent on this team, running the ball, moving the chains and controlling possession is crucial. We have to keep our defense off the field as much as possible.

I love Kill and the direction we're headed, but the line has nothing and it's going to cost us winnable games all year.

+1 I agree, by far the most disappointing aspect of the game on Saturday

Line play on both sides of the ball was disappointing, with the O-line underperforming a bit more.

Hopefully Campion, Olson, or one of the younger guys can push the seniors if they don't respond. This group is frustrating to watch struggle, there's really no reason we shouldn't be stacking Olinemen up like cordwood with our instate/region recruiting.
The depth and talent appears to be there in 1-3 years, if Limegrover can coach them as well as he did at NIU we hopefully will not have this type of situation ever again.

Anyone know if Tommy Olson/Campion have played in a game yet?

The youth movement is easier said than done. I'm sure they don't want to waste a redshirt and there is something to be said about playing your best guys. It helps with the development of the players behind them. OL is going to be the concern all year.

OL is the #1 problem on this team. When combined with the fact that DL is the #2 problem on this team, the recipe likely adds up to few wins and many losses.

I actually thought the OLine played pretty well the 2nd half of the USC game, but they got dominated pretty much the entire game vs. NMSU. Very disappointing.

When the senior center and guards can't push a yard for a touchdown vs. NMSU there has to be concerns. A backup guard at Wisconsin, bill Nagy,who never started is now the starting left guard for the Cowboys. The Gophers have no excuse for not having good o lineman. The upper mid west is where road graders are plentiful.

defensive schemes have been awful. That 4 man front was not working but we kept at it. '28 Clay - gain of 8.' no, not John Clay.

1. Agree 100% in that the biggest weakness of this team is the line play.
2. However, that can be said of almost ANY team that has a coaching change. With good line play, even a mediocre skill set can win 6/7 games and get to a bowl game.
3. Under any circumstances, do not play anyone who you plan to red shirt. This is a throw away year (I wish more folks would realize that). Linemen are made, not born, and Coach Kill needs time to remold his lines.

Always the critics, but none of the critics do anything to go out there and do anything about it. Talk is cheap, it takes money to buy whiskey.

Anyone rewatch the NM St game? Grimm on KFAN just said the NM st loss may have een the worst in school history.

Anyone rewatch the NM St game? Grimm on KFAN just said the NM st loss may have een the worst in school history.

I almost feel the same way. Our ineptitude near the red zone in that game was embarassing. The O-line NEEDS to improve from here on out if the offense is to have any success.

Worse than the 1997 loss to a 3-win Hawaii team? Worse than last year's loss to a 4-7 FCS team?

RR, I am not saying it was but Grimm said it. My expectations for 2011-2012 were low prior to any games this year. but i wanted bodies in the right place but I ain't seeing it.

Tommy Olson has played for sure, but I don't know if he has played from scrimmage at all, or if all of his snaps have come on special teams. He needs to be playing at least some on the line, because the redshirt option is gone now.

There are NEVER any throw away seasons.

The disasterous maturi replacement snafu, more commonly referred to as that brewster clown-faced failed first season featured a throw away Big Ten season in 2007. He was 1-11 overall and 0-8 in Big Ten play. His career was OVER the minute he went 0-8 in Big Ten Play. There is NO way that a University of Minnesota football coach can recover from a 0-8 Big Ten record in his first season. NO Minnesota coach can go 0-8 in Big Ten play and survive. 0-8 is too big a hole and a football coach can not climb out of that deep a hole while running the Unviersity of Minnesota Football Program. That brewster only won 6 Big Ten games in 3 3/8 Big Ten Seasons. He was d.o.a. in 2007. There was NO HOPE for brewster when he loss all his Big Ten games in his first season here.

Coach Kill and his staff will have to find ways to win at least ONE Big Ten game during this 2011 season. Any and every non-conference win would be helpful as well. There can be NO repeats of the failed macturi brewball experiment. IF a football coach goes 0-8 in Big Ten play in his first season...it is ALL OVER for him at the U of M. He will never recover.

That being said, I still think Coach Kill will find a way to win a game or two in Big Ten play during this 2011 season. Things are usually never as good as they may appear after any kind of "moral victory" or even an actual win and certainly are not quite as bad as things may appear after any bad loss. Coach Kill is a good, old fashioned ball coach. He and his staff and their players will find a way to get a few wins this season!

Good luck and best wishes to Coach Kill...his staff...and all the players! Go Gophers!

When Brewster was 7-1 in 2008, it looked as if the Brewster experiment was a success. The collapse at the end of the 2008 season too away that optimism, but the 2007 season didn't end Brewster's time here, it was the 2010 season that did it. If he would have produced another mediocre season, he probably would still be here this year.

So if Mason hadn't of beat an 0-8 Indiana team in his second to last game of his first Big Ten season, he wouldn't have lasted?

Always the critics, but none of the critics do anything to go out there and do anything about it. Talk is cheap, it takes money to buy whiskey.

I'm 155 pounds and I don't have eligibility left so....I can't really go out there and play right guard...not sure what else I can do....

These guys got their asses handed to them by a makeshift NMSU dline.

Just curious, but what makes the NMSU d-line makeshift? Did they have a lot of injuries? I'm assuming their d-line is probably made up of red-shirt Juniors and Seniors, barring injuries.

I'm not making any excuses, but we have two young lineman, and the three Seniors in the middle have been through a bunch of Offensive Coordinators. Not to mention Brewster's strength and conditioning program left a lot to be desired apparently. I'm excited for the future, but this year is gonna be rough! I'm just hoping they improve and gel better throughout the year. From what I saw, a lot of their mistakes are correctable through practice and repetition.

O-line staff and Limegrover have said they are not where they need to be

There are strength and speed issues with the current group, especially the 3 seniors are a bit under-sized. That said there timing and ability to fire off the football or the snap is severely lacking right now, they take far to long to get moving off the snap. We do not move well off the snap, it should be a lot better than it is right now.
This is where lack of focus and intensity plays a roll and they way underestimated there opponents last week.
I would like someone to push the RG and RT we got killed there all last week's game, and Gophers kept calling plays to their side.

There is promise in the young guy's and Foster Bush from Wisconsin may have been a steal of this class, he has stood out in all of the fall practices and camps but is not ready and needs the red-shirt.

That brewster clown couldn't even hide behind the incompetent badger joel macturi...

bjm FORCED that brewster character on the program. However, by winning ZERO Big Ten Games in 2007, that brewster character HAD to produce large quantities of Big Ten wins. He ONLY won 6 Big Ten games in 3 3/8 Big Ten seasons. Had he figured out a way to win even just ONE Big Ten game in 2007 he MIGHT have lasted until the end of the 2010 season. But, badger joel macturi didn't DARE let his failed brewball experiment yield TWO zero Big Ten wins seasons in four full seasons. THAT is why that brewster clown suffered the indignation of being thrown out on his butt with FIVE Big Ten games remaining during the 2010 season. bjm and prexy b could NOT stand up to the pounding they would have taken if their incompetent guy would have produced two winless Big Ten seasons out of four seasons.

IF any coach produces zero Big Ten wins in his first season as football coach at the U of M,that poor coach will just not have ANY room for anything less than constantly IMPROVING records. Mason won one Big Ten game his first season. He won two Big Ten games his second season. He won FIVE Big Ten games his third season. THAT is why he lasted 10 seasons working for an administration at the U of M that typically fires it's head football coaches after 4 or 5 seasons. (THAT, and the fact that bjm and prexy b NEEDED Mason to help the get the new stadium and the naming rights deal that allowed the U to make a pitch to the state legislators.) Mason had 8 Big Ten wins at the end of his 3rd season. brewster had 6 Big Ten wins at the end of his third season. BUT, he had NO momentum and he had a CONSTANTLY changing coordinator and coaching staff MESS on his hands. He had won NO border battle games or trophy games.

A Big Ten win in his first season just MIGHT have allowed him to complete four full years. It MIGHT have helped him to keep a defensive coordinator or some assistant coaches. It MIGHT have provided a small vote of confidence for him with the media...a broader segment of the fan base than just the hapless brewball apologists and hangers-on.

There is virtually NO precedent for a coach achieving ZERO Big Ten wins in his first season at the University of Minnesota. There is only ONE football coach in the history of the University of Minnesota Football Program who won ZERO Big Ten football games in his first season. Only that brewster clown who was protected by the overmatched and incompetent athletic director badger joel macturi tried to take a THROW AWAY SEASON in his first season.

bjm FORCED that brewster character on the program. However, by winning ZERO Big Ten Games in 2007, that brewster character HAD to produce large quantities of Big Ten wins. He ONLY won 6 Big Ten games in 3 3/8 Big Ten seasons. Had he figured out a way to win even just ONE Big Ten game in 2007 he MIGHT have lasted until the end of the 2010 season. But, badger joel macturi didn't DARE let his failed brewball experiment yield TWO zero Big Ten wins seasons in four full seasons. THAT is why that brewster clown suffered the indignation of being thrown out on his butt with FIVE Big Ten games remaining during the 2010 season. bjm and prexy b could NOT stand up to the pounding they would have taken if their incompetent guy would have produced two winless Big Ten seasons out of four seasons.

IF any coach produces zero Big Ten wins in his first season as football coach at the U of M,that poor coach will just not have ANY room for anything less than constantly IMPROVING records. Mason won one Big Ten game his first season. He won two Big Ten games his second season. He won FIVE Big Ten games his third season. THAT is why he lasted 10 seasons working for an administration at the U of M that typically fires it's head football coaches after 4 or 5 seasons. (THAT, and the fact that bjm and prexy b NEEDED Mason to help the get the new stadium and the naming rights deal that allowed the U to make a pitch to the state legislators.) Mason had 8 Big Ten wins at the end of his 3rd season. brewster had 6 Big Ten wins at the end of his third season. BUT, he had NO momentum and he had a CONSTANTLY changing coordinator and coaching staff MESS on his hands. He had won NO border battle games or trophy games.

A Big Ten win in his first season just MIGHT have allowed him to complete four full years. It MIGHT have helped him to keep a defensive coordinator or some assistant coaches. It MIGHT have provided a small vote of confidence for him with the media...a broader segment of the fan base than just the hapless brewball apologists and hangers-on.

There is virtually NO precedent for a coach achieving ZERO Big Ten wins in his first season at the University of Minnesota. There is only ONE football coach in the history of the University of Minnesota Football Program who won ZERO Big Ten football games in his first season. Only that brewster clown who was protected by the overmatched and incompetent athletic director badger joel macturi tried to take a THROW AWAY SEASON in his first season.

Um.... if we play like we did on Saturday, there will be a second season of "ZERO" Big Ten wins.

When the senior center and guards can't push a yard for a touchdown vs. NMSU there has to be concerns. A backup guard at Wisconsin, bill Nagy,who never started is now the starting left guard for the Cowboys. The Gophers have no excuse for not having good o lineman. The upper mid west is where road graders are plentiful.

Although Nagy was a back-up guard, he started 8 games as a blocking tight end.

That said there timing and ability to fire off the football or the snap is severely lacking right now, they take far to long to get moving off the snap. We do not move well off the snap, it should be a lot better than it is right now.

I think we get it.

wait!what?

1. Grimm on KFAN is probably on Ziggy Wilf's payroll. I repeat my previous post below, which I am sure will make heads explode (apologies to our former Vice President) for people who sincerely believe that organized crime plays no part in the National Football League (NFL), MLB, NBA, NHL, WNBA, or any other corporate sports entity, which by default includes the Twin Cities Corporate Sports Authority (TCCSA). We have had a lot of epic defeats since the Minnesota Vikings franchise took root in the Twin Cities. Losing 28-21 to New Mexico State University does not even come close to being one of our worst defeats. This Grimm clown needs to take a stroll through Eric Thrall's website http://ericthrall.com/gophers/football/

Were we jobbed by Todd Geerlings and the officiating crew? I keep rewatching highlights on the Big Ten Network and I see 14 points worth of calls which were decisive in stopping us in our tracks. (1) Kim Royston is called for pass interference after making an interception. I don't profess to know the rule book as others do, but it sure seemed to me that Royston was in position to make a play on the ball, and the New Mexico State receiver actually collided into Royston as Royston was making the interception. End result, NMSU gets the ball and scores a TD. (2) Marqueis Gray breaks the plane of the end zone with the ball and even though his body is in mid air outside the field of play, the ball still breaks the plane of the pylon. The TD is called back, and the result is no points. I later watch highlights of the Fresno State at Nebraska game. A Bulldog pulls the same maneuver at the endzone pylon, but in this game he is given the TD! If just one of these calls had gone our way, the game is tied. If both calls go our way, we win the game. This must be the same crew that officiated the Minnnesota - Texas Tech bowl game after which Maturi fired Glen. I can tell our football players have a lot of respect, appreciation, and love for Coach Kill. Did you see Brandon Kirksey's face when Coach was on the ground? Brought tears to my eyes! What is with Verizon FIOS clipping both the top and the bottom of the conventional Big Ten Network channel screen for non-HD? I am watching the game with 35 percent of my screen real estate black. Is this a scam to get people to pay extra for the BTN HD feed? Whose idea is this? Is it Verizon or is it the BTN? Any non Verizon customers experiencing the same bu11$hit? My final gripe for today. Who is paying the BTN to make sure the television audience never hears the Minnesota Rouser played by the band. Every time our band played the rouser, BTN was filtering out all sound over 1,000 Hz. Why does this never happen to "The Victors" or "Buckeye Battle Cry" or "Across the Field" or "On Wisconsin?" More bu11$hit! We have one of the finest and most recognizeable college fight songs and BTN does everything within their power to ensure nobody ever hears it. What is Joel Maturi doing about this besides, "I will have somebody look into this." or "It is the responsibility of the Music Department."?

Top Bottom