The New President

That's a pretty impressive record of promoting college athletics.

If Kaler can do those types of things here at the U for years to come, his hiring will be every bit as important to the football team as the future coach.

johnny_olson = only 8 posts

he must have made up this story that he has linked from a credible news source. i won't believe anything he says until he hits over 500 posts, in fact I don't even believe my own posts.

kidding, this is just me still grumbling about someone complaining about the validity of someone who had only posted a few times.

this link is great and story makes me really happy.

johnny_olson = only 8 posts

he must have made up this story that he has linked from a credible news source. i won't believe anything he says until he hits over 500 posts, in fact I don't even believe my own posts.

kidding, this is just me still grumbling about someone complaining about the validity of someone who had only posted a few times.

this link is great and story makes me really happy.

Law_Abiding_Gopher...What one also must consider is that rank has its privilege, and I am very privileged because I am very rank.

This is big to have him (almost certainly) coming in right now. For a prospective big name coach considering the job with Bruininks on the way out and Maturi out in 2012, it will be very important to know that the new president is behind sports and behind football.

I understand Kaler's son goes to Auburn and that Kaler really soaks up the football scene down there. I have also heard that Kaler definitely "gets it," is a highly motivated change-agent and is interested in creating a big time football scene at Minnesota. From everything I have heard, we will be incredibly fortunate as football fans to land him.

A new on-campus stadium, a new Prez who believes winning football program = good investment for the University as a brand, now we need the home run coaching hire to hit the trifecta. This is the perfect storm & may be the best chance at a top level program that we as Gopher fans ever have in our lifetimes, it's exciting.

I really think this thing can be turned around fast & is not a long term "project". This is not the empty cupboard Mase left Brew. There's a lot of talent about to mature, guys with talent who got to play & make a lot of mistakes this year. The right coach can whip these guys into winners on the quick.

This guy has to be our president! Oh and Law_Abiding_Gopher great post. People here think it's cool to have thousands of posts on a message board. It actually means the opposite

This guy has to be our president! Oh and Law_Abiding_Gopher great post. People here think it's cool to have thousands of posts on a message board. It actually means the opposite

Then each post you make makes you less cool. Why even start then? It's not that people think they are "cool" for having a high post count. On any forum, not just sports forums, people tend to be skeptical of new posters until they have gained some degree of credibility.

Uncool

I try to remain as uncool as possible. I don't have time to speculate. I really like that the article is praise from the AD rather than empty promises made from a stage.

I'm really concerned here. I mean he is supposedly a Minnesota Alum, helped build an atheletic department at Stony Brook, and what color does he approve for the school? Frickin' red?!??! Me thinks he is a closet Badger fan! Beware!

Better dead than red!

Wonder what GH would look like if the finalist for Gopher HC was the football coach at Stony Brook or some up and coming HC from a snall school???? Yet folks seem excited bringing some one in from a small school with no exp. as a college President. I find that rather ironic.

Lets hope that Kaler is the right hire but I like what he did at Stony Brook.

Wonder what GH would look like if the finalist for Gopher HC was the football coach at Stony Brook or some up and coming HC from a snall school???? Yet folks seem excited bringing some one in from a small school with no exp. as a college President. I find that rather ironic.

Lets hope that Kaler is the right hire but I like what he did at Stony Brook.

Apples. Oranges. And Stony Brook is not a small school, it's actually pretty big. It's just that the U is enourmous. It's very common for university presidents to have been a provost in their previous job. Sports are not the president's primary job, but it is very good to have a president who is supportive of both athletics and academics.

US News and World Report ranks Stony Brook #99 in National Universities. Minnesota is ranked #64. http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/stony-brook-ny/stony-brook--suny-2838

This really sucks. I mean, I've spent a solid year elevating my post count in order to gain credibility and know you are saying that I should've just kept lurking? Man it is hard to win around here.

Apples. Oranges. And Stony Brook is not a small school, it's actually pretty big. It's just that the U is enourmous. It's very common for university presidents to have been a provost in their previous job. Sports are not the president's primary job, but it is very good to have a president who is supportive of both athletics and academics.

US News and World Report ranks Stony Brook #99 in National Universities. Minnesota is ranked #64. http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/stony-brook-ny/stony-brook--suny-2838

I have heard, from a very good source and on good authority, that Kaler will be named President by the end of the week and possibly as soon as this afternooon.

It does look like a formality. There is a little grumbling that there is only one finalist, and a few anti-sports people grumbling that he likes sports, but nothing at all significant. No one is criticizing his resume or credentials. It looks like he will at least be in the loop for the coaching search, and the next coach will know who the President will be.

Its Done

Eric Kaler will be the next president of the University of Minnesota. (per Star Tribune)

He has been offered the job.

Excellent. Perhaps the search can now begin for Maturi's replacement? The idea was that Maturi would stay on until the next President could pick the next AD. With Kaler hired, that should be able to move forward. No, I'm not advocating firing Maturi, the coaching situation needs to be resolved soon. We have a long transition period before Kaler takes over, we could search for the next AD at our leisure. How about poaching Stony Brook's AD? He has a pretty impressive resume: http://www.goseawolves.org/school-bio/ston-bio-fiore.html

Top Bottom