The Mysterious Events Surrounding the Sudden Departure of Bo Ryan

Barry's mistress or Bo's mistress? Now this is just confusing.

Does the proximity to Chicago and the fact that Wisconsin has a larger population have anything to do with the success compared to Minnesota? I am not sure I agree with your conclusion, other than the idea that the University does seem very dysfunctional.

When I went to the U in the mid-1990's, Madison was the same distance from Chicago as it is today. Wisconsin had gone nearly 50 YEARS without an NCAA tournament berth. It's not just that they sucked; they were irrelevant. The U's basketball history, in contrast, was peppered with some really good teams and really good players, followed by scandal that knocked the program back down...a cycle that had repeated itself several times. The fan support was outstanding...there was nothing like the barn rocking on a cold February afternoon. At that time, nobody in their right mind would describe Wisconsin as having more potential than Minnesota.

Minnesota and Wisconsin have similar populations (WI 20th, MN 21st or thereabouts), and their AAU output is similar, but Wisconsin not only had to contend with a putrid history, but also the fact that they weren't even the #1 D1 basketball program in their own state. It would be as if the U of M were in Duluth and there were some program like Marquette in Minneapolis. Not to mention the fact that other D1 bb programs further siphon some (albeit minor) fanbase in a few of Wisconsin's other decent-sized cities.

When I went to the U in the mid-1990's, Madison was the same distance from Chicago as it is today. Wisconsin had gone nearly 50 YEARS without an NCAA tournament berth. It's not just that they sucked; they were irrelevant. The U's basketball history, in contrast, was peppered with some really good teams and really good players, followed by scandal that knocked the program back down...a cycle that had repeated itself several times. The fan support was outstanding...there was nothing like the barn rocking on a cold February afternoon. At that time, nobody in their right mind would describe Wisconsin as having more potential than Minnesota.

Minnesota and Wisconsin have similar populations (WI 20th, MN 21st or thereabouts), and their AAU output is similar, but Wisconsin not only had to contend with a putrid history, but also the fact that they weren't even the #1 D1 basketball program in their own state. It would be as if the U of M were in Duluth and there were some program like Marquette in Minneapolis. Not to mention the fact that other D1 bb programs further siphon some (albeit minor) fanbase in a few of Wisconsin's other decent-sized cities.

And according to the latest census, Minnesota is growing at a faster clip than Wisconsin so we'll have to figure out a different reason for the issues.

I guess now we know why it was called the "Swing Offense".

It's 2015, not 1994.

A bit more detail:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

barry, bo and ho ho ho? brings back fond memories of Chadima

gotta be a shoe store involved somehow

I spent a solid 3 minutes on this

y0G48Wp.png

thats what i like about Barry, a man of action. vs Teague, who was all talk

Top Bottom