The Life of the White Helmets..

How about regents makes a final decision on what shade of maroon and gold we use for EVERYTHING. That way Nike will stop screwing with the colors. The current look isn't bad. They should go back to Maroon helmets. The wisconsin game looked like it was Wisconsin vs. the Badger practice squad.

If they did decide to do another uniform overhaul, I would take a page from Iowa and copy the design of a Pro team that has a classic look. The Redskins have a similar color scheme. Maybe get rid of 1 or 2 stripes to make the uni look simpler and that would fit the Big Ten look. If classic is what you are going for, you are going to want a simpler uniform.

The current piping is not that bad. Really the only thing to do is darken the gold. Think about wearing Gold top with Maroon pants occasionally (like for night games). Maroon top Gold pants should be default. Get rid of the white pants. Wear White on Gold for road games. We are the Golden Gophers, Gold should be worn for every game. Stick with a consistent combination and stop having an identity crisis. We aren't Oregon.

Never wear all maroon for night games, it looks like we are wearing black on TV.

The uniforms help with recruiting?'
Alabama, Penn State, Ohio State, USC, Wisconsin, Iowa, Texas, Notre Dame, Michigan, Tennessee, LSU, Auburn, etc., etc.
Little or no change seems to work for them.
Let's make the throwbacks permanent.

Well, I actually agree that the uniform's relationship to recruiting is non-existent, but I should point out that most of the schools you listed are perennial powers who didn't need to try something different to boost their recruiting. The exceptions? Wisconsin created their current logo and uniforms when Barry Alvarez took over their program, so the uniform change coincided with the rise of their program. And Iowa changed its uniforms to look like the Pittsburgh Steelers' when Hayden Fry took over the program, which is also exactly when their program first rose from the ashes.

Again, let me reiterate that I don't think that the uniforms have anything to do with recruiting, but I thought it was only fair to point this out.

I think they should have several unis. The three players of the week on O, D, and ST. Should together select the uniform for the next game (like a starting pitcher in baseball).

My picks:
Home
- All gold like on opening day vs AFA
- White helmets like against NDSU
- Current Maroon unis
- 90's Darkins unis with gold helmets

Away
- All white maroon helmet
- All white maroon pants
- whit jersey maroon pants and helmet

I would liketo hear some thoughts on the retro uniforms from some of the younger posters. Good idea or bad idea?

I'm in my mid 20's, but obviously don't speak for all young people. I thought they retros were ok for a game, but terrible for an overall look. I like the current uniforms (minus the white helmets, they're ok) with multiple looks. I also think Oregon's unis are cool (the feathers were a bit weird). Cal, West Virginia, and Clemson also use a bunch of color combinations, which I think is fun. I'm always curious what color combination we'd be wearing.

Also, I just had a conversation with a younger Packer fan in my class today. He thought the Vikings uniforms were much better than the Packers, and he absolutely hates the Vikings!

I think by this point we've desecrated every possible color combination. There is nothing left to do now but get Nike to design some new unis with fur on them. Fur, with little gopher ears on the helmet, and a little plush gopher tail on the butt. We would have our pick of homosexual recruits, and the kids would love it.

Maroon and Gold please. Not white. Not Yellow. Not retro. Not "new" Nike. Not anything else in-between. Just stick to Maroon and Gold for pete's sake.

The wisconsin game looked like it was Wisconsin vs. the Badger practice squad.

In more ways than just the uniform combo too.

But seriously, I like the old-school uniforms. The throwbacks we had for NDSU were great. This year's Alabama/Penn St. game had the two greatest college football uniforms in the game today.

However, if recruits like all the color combos with 3 different jersey/pant colors and 2-3 helmet options - go for it. The current white helmet isn't bad, but it didn't look good with all whites or all maroons. I'd like to see the block M on the white helmets be gold with maroon outline. The white helmets at home with maroon jersey and white pants would look good.

The best would be MINN-24, PSU-20

Go Gophers

Maroon pants, gold top, maroon helmet like against Cal.
Best uniform combination I've seen with the current uniform.

I would liketo hear some thoughts on the retro uniforms from some of the younger posters. Good idea or bad idea?

I'm 20, and I'm personally not a huge fan of the retro look. It's nice for a game every so often (I was hoping they'd wear them for the USC game honoring the 1960 national champions). But overall, I just don't think there's anything about them that pops, and they kind of remind me of old high school uniforms that a school doesn't have the budget to replace. And, if it matters, I hate the Oregon, over-the-top uniform stuff.

I agree with the poster that mentioned the Redskins. I really like the Skins uniforms with the yellow pants and maroon (or white) tops and maroon helmet. In the end, I don't really care what we wear, so long as we win.

dt11gold2-copia.png

Again, let me reiterate that I don't think that the uniforms have anything to do with recruiting, but I thought it was only fair to point this out.

Sorry, you're totally wrong on this one. It's a big reason why Oregon is where they are today and Boise State, too (turf instead of jerseys, but same idea). It's an image thing and something that sets that school apart.

However, I like the classic look, so if I were a recruit I'd be a PSU/Mich type of guy. It goes both ways, but to say it isn't a factor is wrong.

And real gold, not yellow. Like ND or BC helmets but with numbering and stripes.

That's not our school color, though, so no.

I'm 23 and obviously I love those retro uniforms. The simplicity is what I love about them, although a tweak here or there wouldn't offend me.

But I do like what the redskins are doing. They have looked very sharp in recent years.

And if true gold was going to be a school color, we should have stuck with it through the 90's. That opportunity is gone, and I rather prefer the gold color we have now.

Sorry, you're totally wrong on this one. It's a big reason why Oregon is where they are today and Boise State, too (turf instead of jerseys, but same idea). It's an image thing and something that sets that school apart.

However, I like the classic look, so if I were a recruit I'd be a PSU/Mich type of guy. It goes both ways, but to say it isn't a factor is wrong.

That's not our school color, though, so no.

Neither is yellow. It's 136C. It's between yellow and gold. If interested, there's a PDF on this page: http://www1.umn.edu/brand/standards/color.php

I wish they would ditch yellow and go with gold. I guess Maroon and Gold sounds better than Maroon and Yellow.

I love the white helmets. I also like the unis from the mid-90s.

I'm telling you, there is a real future with classic uniforms like this:

UNZEPVSCEOABJDI.20061204201318.jpg

They are like nothing the BigTen has. It is a look that can certainly be very sharp with our gorgeous stadium as a background. It is a unique image which a unique identity could actually be built around. If we want to advertise our national championships and BigTen championships like we do, I think it is a bit hypocritical to look nothing like any of those teams did.

I would love to see these become our uniform I love the classic look.

I like the throwbacks too, but agree with those who'd prefer the block "M" to the numbers.

but make the "M" bigger .... doesn't have to be huge, like Missouri or Marshall, just a bit bigger than it is right now.

As stated before...go with the helmets from the early 60's and replace the numbers with a large block M. I agree 100% on the old school grey face masks.

The old school uniforms were sharp but I'd put some sort of trim around the numbers.

I love the classic look.. and after reading this thread again, I have to agree with the Redskins bit.

Here's something that hasn't been mentioned.. Lets keep the variety we have now, but throw in a bit of a classic twist..
gopherhome.png
gopherawayovershoulder.png

And then the helmets throwback to something like:
7985gopherhelmet.jpg
6871gopherhelemt.jpg
5667gopherhelmet.jpg

Only the maroon helmet needs some stripes like the other two.

I'm going to have to disagree with you here. Oregon became really good in the early to mid-90's, long before they started experimenting with all of their weird jerseys. They're good because they are well coached.

I suppose I'm open to the M on the white 60's helmets, but I think the numbers are a good classic concept and it would be sharp looking. I really would have to see an actual helmet with that M design in order to approve; for now I cant see it being any better than the numbers.

I also like Formo's uniform and helmet combos. That would look good.

I suppose I'm open to the M on the white 60's helmets, but I think the numbers are a good classic concept and it would be sharp looking. I really would have to see an actual helmet with that M design in order to approve; for now I cant see it being any better than the numbers.

I also like Formo's uniform and helmet combos. That would look good.

Alright, hang with me on this one, it's a little out there, but...

What about putting an M on one side and the number on the other. Asymmetrical like the Steelers. It would be something different.

Alright, hang with me on this one, it's a little out there, but...

What about putting an M on one side and the number on the other. Asymmetrical like the Steelers. It would be something different.

Or...

Lets say the guys number is 75. The seven will be on one side, along with half of an M. And on the other side is the 5 with the other half of the M.

I'm just teasing you Deke! :p

I'm 20, and I'm personally not a huge fan of the retro look. It's nice for a game every so often (I was hoping they'd wear them for the USC game honoring the 1960 national champions). But overall, I just don't think there's anything about them that pops, and they kind of remind me of old high school uniforms that a school doesn't have the budget to replace. And, if it matters, I hate the Oregon, over-the-top uniform stuff.

I agree with the poster that mentioned the Redskins. I really like the Skins uniforms with the yellow pants and maroon (or white) tops and maroon helmet. In the end, I don't really care what we wear, so long as we win.

dt11gold2-copia.png

change the maroon to match the mason maroon, and then put numbers on the helmet and otherwise leave it unchanged, or just go plain helmet with the stripes. Would look badass

Top Bottom