The Life of the White Helmets..

Formo

Sections 109 and 114
Reaction score
So, how long will we have the 'new' white helmets?

Also, will the new coach come in and change up our uniforms again?

I wouldn't mind keeping the new helmets, but would want a maroon and gold stripes down the center and some gold outlines on the Block M.

As far as the unis go, wouldn't mind seeing them go back to being a simpler uniform, with the same tone of dark maroon. The gold needs to be a bit darker, instead of the mustard/maize 'gold' of Brew's era.

I know, all of this is stupid and moot.. But since the product on the field isn't likely to change it's performance, might as well talk about how to make them look better, no?

I hope the look stays or even gets more classic, but I wouldn't be surprised if the new staff brings in some more XXXTRREEME uniforms to break with the past regime a bit and appeal to recruits.

I hate the white helmets. They make our heads look huge. Wear maroon and gold. Did I not get the memo? When did we change the school colors to white and maroon?

I'm telling you, there is a real future with classic uniforms like this:

UNZEPVSCEOABJDI.20061204201318.jpg

They are like nothing the BigTen has. It is a look that can certainly be very sharp with our gorgeous stadium as a background. It is a unique image which a unique identity could actually be built around. If we want to advertise our national championships and BigTen championships like we do, I think it is a bit hypocritical to look nothing like any of those teams did.

They are like nothing the BigTen has. It is a look that can certainly be very sharp with our gorgeous stadium as a background. It is a unique image which a unique identity could actually be built around. If we want to advertise our national championships and BigTen championships like we do, I think it is a bit hypocritical to look nothing like any of those teams did.

Agreed. For the reason you cite above, I've always thought the U should play up the 'old-timey' aspects of the program more. And I really like those helmets.

Agreed. For the reason you cite above, I've always thought the U should play up the 'old-timey' aspects of the program more. And I really like those helmets.

My all time favorite uni.

My all time favorite uni.

I like those as well. Those white helmets are better than the ones we wore this year. I like the stripe on the helmet but I still prefer the block M over the numbers(on helmet). Nothing says Minnesota Gophers like the block M.

I think some sort of a retro look like these, or even the 40's look, would be classic, unique and pay tribute to our past/future greatness.

2011 a new era of past and future greatness.

I am a retro guy. Love those uni's.

I like the white helmets, but I would like to see them with Mason era uni's. Any photoshoppers on here?

I would liketo hear some thoughts on the retro uniforms from some of the younger posters. Good idea or bad idea?

I know that college players were surveyed last year as to who had the best Unis and Oregon won in a landslide. I don't like our current set, but I don't think Brew was wrong when he said it helps recruiting.

Love 'em

I love the throwbacks. I agree that the white helmet from the throwbacks with the gray facemask and helmet striping is the best helmet option...however I also would replace the helmet numbers with a block M.

Love the white pants and maroon jerseys. We have tradition at Minnesota, lets honor it and have a clean looking classic uniform.

Great Idea, Unfortunately we lost in those unis.

I hate the white helmets. They make our heads look huge. Wear maroon and gold. Did I not get the memo? When did we change the school colors to white and maroon?

And what, pray tell, is wrong with having an over-sized noggin? LOL.

I'd like to see something like the '76? through 2006 uniforms (blot out the Wacker years)

I know these uniforms were not identical, but they were all fairly close, shading and a few stripes aside.

I'd like to keep the new standardized color, but go back to more simple 2006 themed uniforms with black shoes.

No exceptions other than "throwback" games:

road: Gold Pants, White tops, Maroon Helmet

home: Gold Pants, Maroon Tops, Maroon Helmet

STOP THE GIMMICKS

I really like the classic look

I didn't like the white helmets with maroon/maroon. Now if they had white helmets, maroon top, with white bottoms, that would have been much better.

Still, my favorite uni combo at TCF has been the gold tops with maroon bottoms against Cal. I love that look.

I always think that the helmet color should match the pant color.

Great Idea, Unfortunately we lost in those unis.

Naw, those are the last unis in which the Gophers ever won anything significant. I think the game the Gophs lost against NDSU was played in the new "modern" unis.

Uniform designers in the 60s had a timeless sese of style. Numbers on the helmet say "we're gonna punch you in the mouth."

I know that college players were surveyed last year as to who had the best Unis and Oregon won in a landslide. I don't like our current set, but I don't think Brew was wrong when he said it helps recruiting.

The uniforms help with recruiting?'
Alabama, Penn State, Ohio State, USC, Wisconsin, Iowa, Texas, Notre Dame, Michigan, Tennessee, LSU, Auburn, etc., etc.
Little or no change seems to work for them.
Let's make the throwbacks permanent.

The uniforms help with recruiting?'
Alabama, Penn State, Ohio State, USC, Wisconsin, Iowa, Texas, Notre Dame, Michigan, Tennessee, LSU, Auburn, etc., etc.
Little or no change seems to work for them.
Let's make the throwbacks permanent.

How does that relate to MN recruiting?

I think we can take these uni's and improve them a bit. I would prefer gold helmets but keep this old school style with the numbers on the helmets. And real gold, not yellow. Like ND or BC helmets but with numbering and stripes. Then for the jerseys, they are a little too plain. Still like simple, but need some stripes or something, the pure maroon doesn't work. I also like this maroon instead of the current darker maroon.

I like the retro look, but when the guys ran out on the field with those 1960 uniforms I remember thinking they looked like a JV team. The pictures in this thread make me think the same thing. I think it was all the white.

I like the jerseys, and I like the stripes on the pants. But I don't think white works. I don't like the white helmets or white pants. Somebody mentioned the late-70s look, which I liked -- maroon jersey, gold pants with stripes. And while I like the maroon helmet, how about a gold alternative, rather than white? I think it would have to be yellow gold, which is our color, rather than Notre Dame's version of gold (even though I prefer that, too).

I like the retro look.
I'm also the only one I know who loved the Wacker era metallic gold helmets.

Uniform designers in the 60s had a timeless sese of style. Numbers on the helmet say "we're gonna punch you in the mouth."

How many national championships did Georgia Southern and Alabama win wearing helmets with numbers on 'em? It's worth a try!

Top Bottom