The Kansas Ticket Scandal

Timeline

-------

June 30, 2009 – Lawrence. Kan., developer David Freeman pleads guilty to conspiracy to commit bank fraud, for his part in a federal bribery case against former Junction City Commissioner Mick Wunder. As part of a proffer agreement reached with federal prosecutors – and in hopes of decreasing his own sentence in the bribery case – Freeman also provides information about a ticket scalping operation involving NCAA Final Four and University of Kansas basketball tickets, including potential tax evasion, theft, money laundering and other possible crimes. A source familiar with the investigation confirmed to Yahoo! Sports that Freeman tied multiple individuals to the scalping operation, including college sports entrepreneurs David and Dana Pump, KU athletics department employee Rodney Jones, and former KU basketball star Roger Morningstar, the father of current Jayhawks guard Brady Morningstar.

February, 2010 – KU ticket office manager Charlette Blubaugh resigns

March 9, 2010 – KU places athletic department employee Rodney Jones on administrative leave. Jones, the school’s former ticket manager, was promoted in 2004 to director of the Williams Fund – the fundraising branch of KU’s athletic department.

March 24, 2010 – The University of Kansas announces it has hired a Wichita-based firm to do an independent investigation of the school’s ticket office and athletic fundraising in the Williams Fund.

April 5, 2010 – Ben Kirtland, the associate athletic director for development, resigns. Kirtland was the highest ranking athletic department employee overseeing the Williams Fund.

April 16, 2010 – Rodney Jones resigns.

April 22, 2010 – Lawrence developer David Freeman is sentenced to 18 months in prison for his role in the Junction City bribery case. Afterward, Freeman’s lawyer, Carl Cornwell, reveals Freeman’s role in tipping federal authorities to ticket improprieties at KU. Kansas athletic department officials decline to comment.

April 30, 2010 – KU announces that two additional employees with ties to the ticket office have resigned: Brandon Simmons, assistant athletics director for sales and marketing, and Jason Jeffries, assistant director of ticket operations.

That's pretty bad. The Pump Brothers have been associated too closely with KU for way too long. Originally they had issues with Roy during the Rush brother days and obviously the school and program haven't distanced themselves from them enough. Pretty strange to see Brady Morningstar's father involved.

Go Gophers!!

I just read the story before seeing this thread. Came on here to post it.

A piece of advice: If you think college basketball is pure amateur athletics and not big business, don't click the link.

Are these NCAA violations? if so, given it appears rather serious, what will, if anything, happen to Kansas?

I can't imagine anyone who looks like this could ever be crooked...

1274842927.jpg

I can't imagine anyone who looks like this could ever be crooked...

1274842927.jpg

That was actually my 2nd thought when I read this article! See those guys - wow.

My 1st thought was...I would love for the U to have that kind of demand for tickets! Selling for face value is a stretch here ;)

I can't imagine anyone who looks like this could ever be crooked.

Give them dark hair and seat them in between John Calipari and they'd look like they were in the same " family ".

I should have added that a who's who of coaches attend their events including our own Tubby Smith last year as a speaker at one of their conventions.

Top Bottom