The implications of IU vs. UW game...

I hate Wisconsin, but I have to give them credit. Year in, year out, they are the grittiest team in the nation. Bo Ryan gets them to play so smart and gritty...only 6 turnovers in that environment is crazy good. IU can't generate enough offense to win without turnovers fueling their offense.

I think this all goes back to coaching. Bo Ryan gets his kids to take care and value the basketball. You never see frivilous turnovers when they are being cavalier. We had 17 turnovers. Wiscconsin 6.

I'm sorry, but just about every team in the B1G could have beaten IU tonight, whats the deal with hulls, I root against you and light it up and the day I actually root for you, you found away to make marverick look like a better player,I f-ing hate him, what a sickening game to watch

Dockich is trying so hard to be neutral but he just can't do it. You can feel the disappointment in his voice.

Wow, IU clearly put all their effort into their game against us and was looking past Wisconsin. Can't say I blame them, but clearly there are no easy wins in the B1G this year.

Too bad these 2 games weren't flipped (i.e., WI play Indiana on Saturday and us play them today). I still see Wisconsin as an NCAA bubble team. Ultimately this game could help us.

There are going to be 5 teams in the Big Ten tied for 2nd at 3-1, ALL looking to take down 1st place Wisconsin. I guarantee you that teams will start to prepare for Wisconsin games and hopefully that will mean that the Badgers start losing again.

That was the fastest coach to coach handshake I have ever seen.

Indiana shoots 27% from 3 point land tonight. Go figure. Plus Wi didn't turn the ball over like we did last week.

Wisconsin's defense had a lot to do with IU's poor shooting. Low scoring game played into Wisconsin's favor. Much better performance by Jackson and Bruesiwitz.

Hulls was making them from 10 feet behind the arc on Saturday (hyperbole) but couldn't make anything tonight when it counted.

IU needs turnovers to fuel their offense. In the half court sets, they are guardable. Like us, In transition, they are very good.

We gave them 17 turnovers which translated to 30 points. Wisconsin gave them about 8 turnovers and only translated to 12 points. Off nights for Hulls, Yogi, Sheehey and Oladipo. Full credit to Wisconsin. They played a great game and caught IU at the right time.

I totally agree Wisconsin' defense was tough, Indiana was never in their comfort zone on offense. We allow teams to be too comfortable.

I am feeling two emotions, shock and disgust. When Jordan Hulls plays well, Indiana is good to great but when he plays (especially shoots) poorly they are beatable. Looking at his stats he was 0-10 in that surprisingly close game against Iowa and 2-8 tonight against Wisconsin. Against Butler, Hulls was 4-11 from the field. He didn't make a 3 in any of those games. Against Minnesota, Hulls was 4-8 from the field, including 4-7 from 3 point range. At least one of those threes was from 26 feet out. Throw in the fact that Oladipo had a bad game tonight and that wasn't close to the same team Minnesota faced.

This is the first huge surprise of the Big Ten season to me. I didn't think a title contender would have a loss like this on their home floor. Bo deserves a lot of credit for winning with that bunch even though I hate the way they play.

I totally agree Wisconsin' defense was tough, Indiana was never in their comfort zone on offense. We allow teams to be too comfortable.

+1 Many of IU's threes against the Gophers in the first half were wide open

Indiana shoots 27% from 3 point land tonight. Go figure. Plus Wi didn't turn the ball over like we did last week.

Indiana SUCKED.

Hulls - terrible - why was he even on the floor
Oladipo - mediocre - did he even try to take the ball to the hoop? And he actually got called for more than half of his blatant fouls this game, neutralizing his D.
Watford - looked like a clown today, a god on Saturday. He and Hulls looked like mid-level high school players today.
Zeller - amazing first half followed up by...an egg in the 2nd half? Like Dakich said, he didn't even fight for position down low. wtf
Crean - totally outcoached today - looked like an amateur - the press wasn't working, just tiring out his team, but he stuck with it till the very end. Hulls was horrendous, yet Crean played him huge minutes in the 2nd half. Failed to get his team to take the ball to the hoop. Failed to own the referees like he did Saturday. Fail all around.
Referees - it's a amazing how differently a fairly-refereed game's result is. And lucky shots and rolls...GD it must be nice to be a Wisconsin fan.

Wisconsin went 7:30 seconds without a basket in the second half. Crean is 0-9 against Wisconsin.
You go that long without a basket and still win you've got the other teams number. BTW, Indiana IS NOT the #2 ranked team in the country. More like # 10

The Gophers cause these teams to shoot their wad, and Wisconsin comes in for sloppy seconds. It's not fair.

What does it take to not be looking up at the Badgers in the standings? Honest to god, what does it bleeping take? Because a 15-2 record, a #9 national ranking and losing only to teams who have been #1 in the country at some point this season doesn't do the job. We are still looking up at those lame-ass blankety blanks in the f-ing standings. I quit.

Wow huge win for Wisconsin. Bo Ryan had those kids ready to play. I wonder how we will fare facing Wisconsin and playing them at their style of game. Slow, half court sets with very tough and physical defense. My first reaction is that they would beat us, but we are as athletic and tough as anyone, and we are usually pretty good at hitting triples. Kudos to Wisconsin though, I didn't think they really had anyone, but they got some gritty players.

I usually have nothing against the Hoosiers, but my Indiana hate is at an all-time high after Saturday's game, and so I have to kind of laugh seeing Indiana lose something like their 11th straight game against Wisconsin despite the fact that this looks to be the worst Wisconsin has been and the best Indiana has been in the last five years. For the sake of our Big Ten title hopes, I was cheering for the Badgers the whole way, and I'm a lot less threatened by a 4-0 Wisconsin team versus a 4-0 Indiana team.

We are now tied in the Big Ten with Indiana and Michigan, look who we've beaten.

Conference wins:

Minnesota: Northwestern, Michigan State, @Illinois
Michigan: @Northwestern, Nebraska, Iowa
Indiana: Minnesota, @Iowa, Penn State

Not to mention we only have two more games against Indiana and Michigan, both of which are at home, whereas Indiana and Michigan each have 3 more games against the other two teams, and 2 out of those 3 games are on the road for both of them. I'd say we are in the best position in this three-way tie, making us the front runner in the conference title race other than now 4-0 Wisconsin.

The Gophers cause these teams to shoot their wad, and Wisconsin comes in for sloppy seconds. It's not fair.

What does it take to not be looking up at the Badgers in the standings? Honest to god, what does it bleeping take? Because a 15-2 record, a #9 national ranking and losing only to teams who have been #1 in the country at some point this season doesn't do the job. We are still looking up at those lame-ass blankety blanks in the f-ing standings. I quit.

All it takes is to pound them when we play...twice

Wisconsin's defense had a lot to do with IU's poor shooting. Low scoring game played into Wisconsin's favor. Much better performance by Jackson and Bruesiwitz.

Indiana didn't even try to penetrate. That was IU's fault, perhaps they got nervous and forgot how to play. The same holes were there as on Saturday. I will give credit to Bo Ryan's defense in two ways, both of which I admire his style for (and wish the Gophers would adopt):
(1) Underneath the hoop they hold their position and don't overreach for blocks. This often leads to them being in better position for the defensive rebound. The Gophers too often try to block every shot underneath, and that is a huge reason why our defensive rebounding is poor.
(2) They don't have everyone sink on penetration. This prevents the wide-open kickback, which destroyed the Gophers Saturday and has been their achille's heel defensively since Tubby took over.

Wisconsin went 7:30 seconds without a basket in the second half. Crean is 0-9 against Wisconsin.
You go that long without a basket and still win you've got the other teams number. BTW, Indiana IS NOT the #2 ranked team in the country. More like # 10

So would that make Minnesota like #15? I think Indiana is a top 5 ball club that had an off night against a team that doesn't make mistakes and tries to run the clock out. I hate the Bo Ryan system, but love the results. They might find a way to be a top half of the Big Ten team this year which seems ridiculous given how important Taylor was to them last year and how much better the league is this year.

I like how we match up with the badgers. I see us beating them big at home, and winning a close one down at Madison.

This thread has been priceless and amazing post game reading. Gopherhole never, ever disappoints.

Here is a little nugget for all of you regarding the conference race.

The Badgers play Indiana once and Michigan once (at home).

Jackson has figured it out and stabilized the point guard position.

The Badgers will be a factor for the entire race, as they usually are.

Good luck against Michigan.

College teams are Jekyll and Hyde. Against the Gophs, IU looked like #1 in the country. Tonight they looked mediocre. I won't sweat this stuff. Just make it to the tournament without sitting on pins and needles and then the Gophers control their destiny from there.

This thread has been priceless and amazing post game reading. Gopherhole never, ever disappoints.

Here is a little nugget for all of you regarding the conference race.

The Badgers play Indiana once and Michigan once (at home).

Jackson has figured it out and stabilized the point guard position.

The Badgers will be a factor for the entire race, as they usually are.

Good luck against Michigan.

But you have to play MN twice!

Top Bottom