The implications of IU vs. UW game...

thiagoc

Reaction score
I really think the game tonight is important for the Gophers in so many levels and would like to hear the thoughts of other fans.

Both teams are sitting at 3-0 in the B1G and with a win will be 1 game ahead of the Minnesota.

We all consider Indiana and Michigan as the main competitor for the B1G championship (with Ohio State running on the outside IMO), and if Indiana wins today they will be more poise to keep the advantage; but i believe there is a chance that UW pulls an upset since they are on a roll as of late.

So, at the same time that we wish Indiana could lose so that the race remains close I am afraid that a win by UW will bring them confidence and national attention (which they have lacked this season). Could UW be consider a contender if they win today at Indiana?

Since we are meeting them in a couple of days I just think that them winning today will make them a much tougher team to play in a couple of days.

Any thoughts???

Wisconsin has no chance, IU wins by 20+

I hate Wisconsin and will never root for them. I hope IU humiliates Becky.

Wisconsin has played a couple of relatively tight games against Penn State and Nebraska, and thumped a reeling Illinois squad at Kohl Center. If they beat Indiana tonight, which I hope they do, but which I doubt they will, it might make me take them a little more seriously, but I'd still probably write it off as a fluke. I would still have high hopes of sweeping them this season.

In other news, I bet Bo Ryan's head will explode from pure rage tonight from all the calls he won't get, assuming Indiana gets the same "home court advantage" that they got against us.

UW's 3 B1G wins have come against teams a combined 1-11 in conference.

Indiana will execute them.

UW's 3 B1G wins have come against teams a combined 1-11 in conference.

Indiana will execute them.

There will be no executions in the B1G this year. This is gonna be so fun, all year.

Either way, I am glad that UNC and UK are both hanging their heads this year. I think it would be awesome if both have to go the NIT route, or less.

where was this IU team when we played them

It's amazing how sloppy and undisciplined Indiana looks right now compared to Saturday.

WI playing well with them. If Indiana played this way we would nt have lost.

Indiana will run away with this in the 2nd half, book it.

Zeller is the only one playing well for IU, but he's playing very well. Lots of layups and dunks.

from what I've seen, the calls have been even, if not slightly in Wis. favor. No terrible missed calls yet, but it's still early. Also, tell Bo to get the F off the floor. He grabbed a ball before it went out of bounds because he was on the court.

So far, I think it's more likely Wisconsin wins going away in the second half than Indiana. Indiana looks lazy and sloppy, while Wisconsin looks energized. I haven't seen Wisconsin play this well all year. I'm pretty shocked.

And yet, despite being lazy and sloppy, Indiana is winning. I think they obviously can improve their play while Wisconsin is probably playing about as well as they can.

WI playing really well. Best I have seen them play. I was not impressed with them after they played penn state and Nebraska. After their game against Illinois and then their play so far today, I am worried that perhaps the grinch has made some adjustments and the skunks will make some noise in the conference.

from what I've seen, the calls have been even, if not slightly in Wis. favor. No terrible missed calls yet, but it's still early. Also, tell Bo to get the F off the floor. He grabbed a ball before it went out of bounds because he was on the court.

I saw a pretty blatant travel on Jordan Hulls maybe 5 or 6 minutes in that wasn't called. That said, I didn't have much problem with officiating in the first half of our game against Indiana.

Three things making me sick so far watching this:
(1) subpar effort by Indiana so far, seems like they're just going through the motions. No one on their team is executing worth a darn but Zeller. If it wasn't for him they'd be getting blown out.
(2) Wisconsin doesn't look all that bad. After the dreadful non-conference season they had, I was hopeful those doofuses finally would have the bad season they've deserved for well over a decade; but it looks like they'll make some noise. The way Bo owns the refs will allow them to win nearly all of their home games again this year, which means they might even make the tourney again.
(3) The refs have called it even so far, maybe even a slight UW benefit. I saw 2 obvious bad calls go Indiana's way, and 2 obvious bad calls go Wisconsin's way.

If (1) and (3) were true on Saturday, Minnesota would have beat IU by double digits.

WI win would be fine with me. Gophers tied for 1st place that way

Well I was totally wrong. Wisconsin shooting even better in the 2nd half. IU needs to get Zeller back out there.

Why couldn't IU play this way against us? Their biggest run is about 6 points. Hulls can't buy a 3. Oladipo is turning it over. Watford is garbage. Amazing.. Bo Ryan can do no wrong.

Have you ever seen a team jack up more shots at the end of a shot clock and have them go in. It's disgusting.

I'd rather have Wisc at 4-0 than IU at 4-0, at least as far as the Conf Race goes. Might mean we don't get to knock off a #1 when IU comes to Minny to play, but it also may mean that IU is even more beatable than we already thought them to be.

As for Wisconsin, maybe they are not as easy of a win as we originally thought, but I like the chances of a 4-0 Wisconsin losing at least 4 or 5 more the rest of the way out, more then I liked the chances of a 4-0 IU losing that many. Add this hiccup to IU's loss column, and now all of sudden they put themselves in the position of possibly being able to lose 3 or 4 more from here on out.

It hurts the Big Ten up near the top of the rankings, but makes the conf look better overall, and long term could help us. Making more room ahead of us in the rankings.

Top Bottom