The guy who played a really nice game that no one is talking about...

cncmin

Reaction score
...is Coleman. Dude put up a quiet but really solid effort: 14 pts on 5/6 shooting, 6 rebounds, 2 assists in 35 (!!) minutes. He was solid offensively and defensively all night, and showcased his second-tier leaps (compared to first-tier Rodney of course) as well.

Box score:
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=320792390

Box score says Minn 37 rebounds to Miami 19. Gophers also 16/19 from the line.

The Gophers went into the building of a 9-7 ACC team and destroyed them on their own court. I'm hoping they bring the same intensity - players and coaching staff both - to Middle Tennessee on Wednesday.

Wow, look at that shooting efficiency: as you mentioned Coleman 5-6, Williams 9-10, Welch 4-5 (4-4 from 3), Ingram 3-4. Darn turnovers though, I didn't realize the number was that high.

Coleman still needs to work on his ball handling...it seems a real effort for him to dribble with a man in his face. That said, at least he was more careful with the ball last night and actually knocked down an open jumper when he was called upon.

The Gophers could be one of the best FT shooting teams in the Big Ten next year with Hollins, Hollins, Welch, Coleman and if Rodney can improve to 65 or 75%.

Coleman still needs to work on his ball handling...it seems a real effort for him to dribble with a man in his face. That said, at least he was more careful with the ball last night and actually knocked down an open jumper when he was called upon.

The Gophers could be one of the best FT shooting teams in the Big Ten next year with Hollins, Hollins, Welch, Coleman and if Rodney can improve to 65 or 75%.

Rodney has shot very impressivly from the line the last couple games, 70% since the Wisconsin game. Also has hit quite a few more pull up jumpers from the top of the key. Still needs to stay within the 3 point line as everytime he chucks one of those up it seems to be a laugher, but he has earned the right to take that shot if he feels he can hit it.

Coleman still scares me with the ball in his hand, but he definately has the feel of that guy that always seems to be in the right place at the right time. Never looks to be going "all out" just coasts along and then boom hes open for a back door cut or a put back layup or a cut down the lane for a floater/dunk. Tubby has obviously told him to take that 15 foot jump shot coming off the curl as we've run a couple first play sets for him there recently, and even that shot is starting to go down. Doesnt have the length of his brother to be a huge asset on the boards, but should be solid against undersized 3's and a solid 6th man if we have a 2nd big in the lineup next year.

One player who seems to be regressing a little is EE...I was expecting more from him with Ralph out.

I think we finished +10 in turnovers. That's what separated this game from a blowout and an absolute bloodbath.

One player who seems to be regressing a little is EE...I was expecting more from him with Ralph out.

He played AWESOME in Ralph's absence averaging 7+ rebounds a game over 3 games, then sat most of the La Salle game after the shove (which I cheered) & was in foul trouble tonight. Not very many 7' Freshmen are finished products.

One thing I've noticed of late as well is with Samson on the bench, Tubby has left kids in the game longer, without the wholesale substitution thing going on, and the offense actually has a flow to it. I really think this has allowed players like Dre Hollins, Rodney, Welch and others get much more confidence and it shows in their shooting improvement. Just my humble opinion.

What about Welch?

Nice shooter and below average ball handler, who is playing hurt. I want him on my team as a solid third scorer, and I hope he is healthy the whole year next year so we can all get a clearer picture of him. Sorry to hijack.

I like Welch. What I'd add is he's been an excellent clutch shooter (@ Illinois, vs. Michigan in Indy come to mind), hit some big shots when we really needed 'em. Now Julian just needs to work on making the clutch free throws. ... he missed a couple of those (i.e @ Illinois) we could have used. I like knowing that he's got another year as a Gopher.

One thing I've noticed of late as well is with Samson on the bench, Tubby has left kids in the game longer, without the wholesale substitution thing going on, and the offense actually has a flow to it. I really think this has allowed players like Dre Hollins, Rodney, Welch and others get much more confidence and it shows in their shooting improvement. Just my humble opinion.

Yep, though not sure how much of it is based on Ralph. Maybe Tubby has adjusted or maybe this was his goal all along? The flow was really good last night, but Miami had a lot to do with that. Interesting one to me going forward is what happens to Chip. Joe is putting some distance between them and earlier in the year they seemed like pretty equal as far as roles and what they brought. Chip doesn't seem like the type to be happy with a few minutes, especially when some are mop-up like last night.

Yep, though not sure how much of it is based on Ralph. Maybe Tubby has adjusted or maybe this was his goal all along? The flow was really good last night, but Miami had a lot to do with that. Interesting one to me going forward is what happens to Chip. Joe is putting some distance between them and earlier in the year they seemed like pretty equal as far as roles and what they brought. Chip doesn't seem like the type to be happy with a few minutes, especially when some are mop-up like last night.

Chuck-it-up-Chip is talented but has to learn to play in a team structure. I'd hate to lose a player with his talent & hope he can be coached up.

Great game from Joe. Almost everyone played great in fact. Nice to see. Hopefully Joe can keep it up. I like having him as a starter with Welch as a good scorer/shooter off the bench.

Chuck-it-up-Chip is talented but has to learn to play in a team structure. I'd hate to lose a player with his talent & hope he can be coached up.

Chip is a kid where, if he's feeling it, you ride him out. But if he's not, it gets a little iffy. I think he still definitely has a role on this team, if he's willing to accept it.

"The guy who played a really nice game that no one is talking about... "

Often times, the player who has the most consistent game is the hidden one who is just doing good things, but nothing flashy. This was Coleman last night.

But the expert fans who only look at fancy dunks or points scored are often the ones missing out on who played well, and was a significant contributor to a TEAM win.

Very good overall game by Joe.

The ups and downs of FR big men...I'm not putting too much into it.

Only he's finishing up his 2nd year with the team...It's not like he's a true Freshman in November anymore. He should be smarter and have a clue on how to make some moves by now. Yes, he's rebounded pretty well and done a decent job of banging and preventing easy layups for opponents, but based on what I've seen, he shows almost no potential for ever being a scoring threat. His FT shooting is awful...If only he got rewarded for hitting the back rim...

Only he's finishing up his 2nd year with the team...It's not like he's a true Freshman in November anymore. He should be smarter and have a clue on how to make some moves by now. Yes, he's rebounded pretty well and done a decent job of banging and preventing easy layups for opponents, but based on what I've seen, he shows almost no potential for ever being a scoring threat. His FT shooting is awful...If only he got rewarded for hitting the back rim...
RSFr. is still a Freshman in game experience.

Over the summer Coleman need to shoot a 1000 jumpshots a day from 15ft to the 3 line. EE? Love his heart and intensity. I believe he came from a small community in Nebraska. With his offensive skills currently you wonder if his coach was also the volleyball and floor hockey coach. To me, EE is a carbon copy of ex-Gopher Chris Hagan. The one thing you can't teach is size and that's what EE gives us underneath.

Top Bottom