The Gophers have released the depth chart...

We'll agree to disagree. Only a small percentage use QBs now. The main reason is that most coaches don't want QBs wasting practice time on special teams. The punters are always with the kickers in practice. They get about hundreds of more reps together a week. Simple math and logistics.

Two schools of thought, no doubt about it. I've seen them both. QB's have the ball in their hands a lot, I know some coaches who are more comfortable with the starting QB holding. Conversely, the punters are who the kickers work with 95% of the time and there is often a pretty high level of trust there as well.

Not to rail on the poster who commented, but the young inexperienced QB route is a complete unmitigated disaster. The last thing I would ever want to see. A nervous young kid that doesn't play having to take a high-speed (sometimes errant) snap and put it down where he's supposed to put it, angle, tilt everything in a few fractions of a second is a nightmare waiting to happen (and yes, I know firsthand).

I'll reiterate again: it's obvious to everyone who has watched practice that Williams is our 4th string MLB. He would play after Poock, Rallis, and Waters. Pretty simple, despite no official list of "4-deeps."

There was a game in 2014 where Damien Wilson was suspended for the first quarter or half of the game. I thought Williams played very well filling in for him.

Two schools of thought, no doubt about it. I've seen them both. QB's have the ball in their hands a lot, I know some coaches who are more comfortable with the starting QB holding. Conversely, the punters are who the kickers work with 95% of the time and there is often a pretty high level of trust there as well.

Not to rail on the poster who commented, but the young inexperienced QB route is a complete unmitigated disaster. The last thing I would ever want to see. A nervous young kid that doesn't play having to take a high-speed (sometimes errant) snap and put it down where he's supposed to put it, angle, tilt everything in a few fractions of a second is a nightmare waiting to happen (and yes, I know firsthand).

I agree with the bold comment above. At practice punters and other kickers are always holding for kickers as they practice field goals and extra points. If there is ever a fake and a pass is needed to be thrown that may favor a back up QB serving as holder. However the types of passes thrown on fake field goals are often fairly simple passes that many punters could probably toss. Heck, punters sometimes pass as a part of fake field goals. My feeling is that a punter can handle the field goal holding responsibilities without too much problem.

I never attack a poster unless they attack me first - then all bets are off. I debate ideas and facts. You're wrong.
d94ede0f87b2df315ffef482d2b1adfa.jpg

a416392f24e1b5b92229c1983c61648d.jpg

I am sure 0 of the qbs are pari passu with Mitch rt now but 3 games in the 2016 season Claeys will be ready to bring the #2.

I was the poster and I didn't mean to imply using an inexperienced player for holds only that it's a good way for backup QBs to see the field and gain more experience then warming the bench all season. There are pluses and minuses for using either QBs or punters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uh, that's what I said too! Many on this post think they know more than the coaches, I think maybe they don't.

Actually, I don't think I know more than the coaches. I think Croft is better than Rhoda, that we are Screwed (with a capital S) if Rhoda is our QB, and that because he is listed 2nd on a silly depth chart doesn't mean he will be the QB we go to if ML7 goes down for an extended period.

Do you believe everything coaches publish to the public? Pssst, Tom Brady hasn't been hurt every week of his entire career even though he is listed on the injury report each week.

Actually, I don't think I know more than the coaches. I think Croft is better than Rhoda, that we are Screwed (with a capital S) if Rhoda is our QB, and that because he is listed 2nd on a silly depth chart doesn't mean he will be the QB we go to if ML7 goes down for an extended period.

Do you believe everything coaches publish to the public? Pssst, Tom Brady hasn't been hurt every week of his entire career even though he is listed on the injury report each week.

But - if the Coaches think Rhoda is better than Croft - then you are claiming you know more than the coaches. The new offensive coordinator was quoted as saying Rhoda has the edge in experience, understanding the offense and game management. Croft may have more physical tools/skills, but playing QB is about more than being the best athlete. It's about knowing the offense, commanding the huddle, and leading the team. AT this point in time, the coaches - at least publicly - are saying Rhoda gives the team more of what they need. You have every right to disagree - but again, that suggests that you do think you know more than the coaches.

Glad to see Kamal Martin in the two deeps. I always thought he looked like a linebacker while playing quarterback. He's a heck of an athlete. I bet he can be a mean SOB on special teams too.

Same here. I would love for one of our more under the radar hometown guys to contribute in a big way.

But - if the Coaches think Rhoda is better than Croft - then you are claiming you know more than the coaches. The new offensive coordinator was quoted as saying Rhoda has the edge in experience, understanding the offense and game management. Croft may have more physical tools/skills, but playing QB is about more than being the best athlete. It's about knowing the offense, commanding the huddle, and leading the team. AT this point in time, the coaches - at least publicly - are saying Rhoda gives the team more of what they need. You have every right to disagree - but again, that suggests that you do think you know more than the coaches.

But, if my theory is right (I get the if there, have acknowledged the if there, it is a theory) the coaches don't think Rhoda is better. That is my point. It's not like I'm dividing by zero here, not sure why this concept can't be grasped. Disagree with me, I don't care, but at least get what I'm saying right.

I can't wait for the Gophers to be up by 30 in the NC, and when CR plays the 4th Q someone attack me that I was wrong. Then I'll get to explain all this again.

This thread is littered with "this person is listed behind that person for motivation" talk yet the very idea that might be the case at QB or the depth chart might not fully display the coaches plan for the year in all situations at QB means I think I know more than the coaches. Fun stuff.

Before you label kids busts, maybe you should first learn some facts. Injuries are one of the contributing factors for why neither is on the 2-deep.

Holland Jr has missed the past week of practice with a groin injury.....

I am sure 0 of the qbs are pari passu with Mitch rt now but 3 games in the 2016 season Claeys will be ready to bring the #2.

Your weak attempts at baiting and trolling have run their course, move on.

Give me a break...coaches obviously don't agree with you (surprise?). It is interesting how your position evolves though.

But, if my theory is right (I get the if there, have acknowledged the if there, it is a theory) the coaches don't think Rhoda is better. That is my point. It's not like I'm dividing by zero here, not sure why this concept can't be grasped. Disagree with me, I don't care, but at least get what I'm saying right.

I can't wait for the Gophers to be up by 30 in the NC, and when CR plays the 4th Q someone attack me that I was wrong. Then I'll get to explain all this again.

This thread is littered with "this person is listed behind that person for motivation" talk yet the very idea that might be the case at QB or the depth chart might not fully display the coaches plan for the year in all situations at QB means I think I know more than the coaches. Fun stuff.

I see what you are doing there..pretty transparent. It is standard procedure to put the back up in and you are trying to massage that into your "theory" so it isn't completely bogus. Allows you to say "I called it, proves he's not really the back p b/c I said they'd bring him in for mop-up duty." Then if they decide to put Croft in for mop up duty, you'll say "I called it, told you he is better than Rhoda". Silly.

I never attack a poster unless they attack me first - then all bets are off. I debate ideas and facts. You're wrong.

That is completely false. You attacked me before I'd ever heard of you. I'm sure many others have had similar experiences. You debate semantics most of all.

But, if my theory is right (I get the if there, have acknowledged the if there, it is a theory) the coaches don't think Rhoda is better. That is my point. It's not like I'm dividing by zero here, not sure why this concept can't be grasped. Disagree with me, I don't care, but at least get what I'm saying right. I can't wait for the Gophers to be up by 30 in the NC, and when CR plays the 4th Q someone attack me that I was wrong. Then I'll get to explain all this again. This thread is littered with "this person is listed behind that person for motivation" talk yet the very idea that might be the case at QB or the depth chart might not fully display the coaches plan for the year in all situations at QB means I think I know more than the coaches. Fun stuff. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Based on the number of reps I saw each QB get last week, I think they would go with Rhoda over Croft for an extended period of time.

Let's hope Mitch stays healthy.

Give me a break...coaches obviously don't agree with you (surprise?). It is interesting how your position evolves though.

How did my position evolve? My position has been clear from the start, even if you don't get it or agree. It hasn't changed one bit. Facts have never mattered to you before tho, so carry on.

I see what you are doing there..pretty transparent. It is standard procedure to put the back up in and you are trying to massage that into your "theory" so it isn't completely bogus. Allows you to say "I called it, proves he's not really the back p b/c I said they'd bring him in for mop-up duty." Then if they decide to put Croft in for mop up duty, you'll say "I called it, told you he is better than Rhoda". Silly.

Nope. My theory is my theory. If it is right, great. If not, I'll try to live through the pain.

This may be the dumbest debate I've ever had on here. I think Croft is a better QB than Rhoda and I think the Coaches see that too but wouldn't burn his RS for mop up duty. I haven't claimed inside info, fact, or some desire to be right even. I expressed my opinion on a message board (gasp). Why you and others seem to take this personal is beyond me.

Go Gophers.

How did my position evolve? My position has been clear from the start, even if you don't get it or agree. It hasn't changed one bit. Facts have never mattered to you before tho, so carry on.

Nope. My theory is my theory. If it is right, great. If not, I'll try to live through the pain.

This may be the dumbest debate I've ever had on here. I think Croft is a better QB than Rhoda and I think the Coaches see that too but wouldn't burn his RS for mop up duty. I haven't claimed inside info, fact, or some desire to be right even. I expressed my opinion on a message board (gasp). Why you and others seem to take this personal is beyond me.

Go Gophers.

I don't take it personal, but you certainly seem to...if they thought Croft was next best option, they would have listed him as back up. There has been interviews and articles where coaches discuss Rhoda's performance and grasp of the offense in support of his back up status to Mitch. As I pointed out earlier, using your theory, you could argue Green should be the back up.

I love a good pissing contest, but the smell of tinkle is starting to get overwhelming.

Top Bottom