The good, The Bad, & the Ugly

Reaction score
THE GOOD:

1.We won - This team really needed a W, and they deserved it. I could tell they were jacked up even during the pregame warmups. Much more energy than last week.

2.Coach Kill - Great to see him on the field. It is disturbing that he was having seizures well past Saturday, and I agree with Powers that the U was not exactly forthcoming on all this (although columnists do get pissy when news scoops aren't handed to them on a platter; Is Powers getting to be like Sid in his old age?). But it was nice to see Kill out there jawing at the refs (he had plenty of things to complain about)

3.Gray - He's definitely improving, especially on the running side. Credit Limegrover for designing and calling plays that exploit Gray's talents. Time will tell if Gray is the answer long term, and hopefully the coaches will figure out ways to get Shortell in there for more than just being a decoy, now that we've burned his redshirt.

4.A couple of really key defensive plays. The pick, the blocked punt, and the last play as time expired. Our run D was fairly solid all game, too.

5.Kirkwood - Our running game still leaves a lot to be desired, but it showed signs of life. Need more improvement here, as Gray won't last past October if he has to carry the rock as much as he did yesterday into BT season.

6.The pass rush - Again, it wasn't great, but at least we got some pressure on the QB, especially on key downs. I'm just putting this in the good category as it was an order of magnitude better than the previous 2 games. They still need to bring the QB down, and not just chase him in circles for 10 seconds (see below)

THE BAD

1.Our pass D. Still getting lit up on too many big plays. Part of it is still the lack of a consistent pass rush, but that TD throw when the QB was running for his life was inexcusable.

2.This team doesn't have a killer instinct. Yet. Right after that INT in the first half, if we drive for a TD, the game is over (we're up 20-3). Instead, we basically go 3 and out, and then Miami drives for a TD right before halftime

3.Gray's pocket presence. Like I said, Gray is getting better, but he's still woefully unaware of what's going on around him, particularly when the pocket's collapsing. He took a couple of avoidable sacks. I've yet to see him just throw the ball away. Hopefully that comes with time.

THE UGLY[/B]

1.The reffing. You'd think occasionally we would get home cooking in our own house. That first Miami TD was right in front of our seats (section 105). I haven't had a chance to watch the replay yet, but WTF wasn't that play reviewed??? It sure looked to me like the Miami player's knee was down before he reached the end zone. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't, but you'd think the refs would have wanted to review it. It appeared that the refs had a conference on the field, but was the guy up in the booth out getting a hot dog?

2.The Traffic -My wife is a Miami alum, so we were at the McNamara center for an alumni event (one could ask why we're allowing the visiting team to have an event there. I'm sorta OK with that for a MAC team, but I'd be pizzed if there were a bunch of pig farmers in there when we play Iowa). We parked in the ramp right next door on University, as that came with the alumni event tix. After the game we took one look at the gridlock and went to Village Wok for dinner (great food!). Even at 7PM, there was still a huge line to get out of that ramp, and it took us the better part of half an hour to get onto EB I-94. I usually park on University over by the M club lot, as we have friends there we tailgate with, and I should have just stayed on University back to St. Paul last night. Still, the traffic was stupefying. The U talks about improving the fan experience to generate ticket sales, and getting home after the game is part of the experience. Granted, given the game hardly anyone left before the final whistle, and there seemed to be a big tie-up with WB 94 which screwed everything else up.

THE GOOD:

1.We won - This team really needed a W, and they deserved it. I could tell they were jacked up even during the pregame warmups. Much more energy than last week.

2.Coach Kill - Great to see him on the field. It is disturbing that he was having seizures well past Saturday, and I agree with Powers that the U was not exactly forthcoming on all this (although columnists do get pissy when news scoops aren't handed to them on a platter; Is Powers getting to be like Sid in his old age?). But it was nice to see Kill out there jawing at the refs (he had plenty of things to complain about)

3.Gray - He's definitely improving, especially on the running side. Credit Limegrover for designing and calling plays that exploit Gray's talents. Time will tell if Gray is the answer long term, and hopefully the coaches will figure out ways to get Shortell in there for more than just being a decoy, now that we've burned his redshirt.

4.A couple of really key defensive plays. The pick, the blocked punt, and the last play as time expired. Our run D was fairly solid all game, too.

5.Kirkwood - Our running game still leaves a lot to be desired, but it showed signs of life. Need more improvement here, as Gray won't last past October if he has to carry the rock as much as he did yesterday into BT season.

6.The pass rush - Again, it wasn't great, but at least we got some pressure on the QB, especially on key downs. I'm just putting this in the good category as it was an order of magnitude better than the previous 2 games. They still need to bring the QB down, and not just chase him in circles for 10 seconds (see below)

THE BAD

1.Our pass D. Still getting lit up on too many big plays. Part of it is still the lack of a consistent pass rush, but that TD throw when the QB was running for his life was inexcusable.

2.This team doesn't have a killer instinct. Yet. Right after that INT in the first half, if we drive for a TD, the game is over (we're up 20-3). Instead, we basically go 3 and out, and then Miami drives for a TD right before halftime

3.Gray's pocket presence. Like I said, Gray is getting better, but he's still woefully unaware of what's going on around him, particularly when the pocket's collapsing. He took a couple of avoidable sacks. I've yet to see him just throw the ball away. Hopefully that comes with time.

THE UGLY[/B]

1.The reffing. You'd think occasionally we would get home cooking in our own house. That first Miami TD was right in front of our seats (section 105). I haven't had a chance to watch the replay yet, but WTF wasn't that play reviewed??? It sure looked to me like the Miami player's knee was down before he reached the end zone. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't, but you'd think the refs would have wanted to review it. It appeared that the refs had a conference on the field, but was the guy up in the booth out getting a hot dog?

2.The Traffic -My wife is a Miami alum, so we were at the McNamara center for an alumni event (one could ask why we're allowing the visiting team to have an event there. I'm sorta OK with that for a MAC team, but I'd be pizzed if there were a bunch of pig farmers in there when we play Iowa). We parked in the ramp right next door on University, as that came with the alumni event tix. After the game we took one look at the gridlock and went to Village Wok for dinner (great food!). Even at 7PM, there was still a huge line to get out of that ramp, and it took us the better part of half an hour to get onto EB I-94. I usually park on University over by the M club lot, as we have friends there we tailgate with, and I should have just stayed on University back to St. Paul last night. Still, the traffic was stupefying. The U talks about improving the fan experience to generate ticket sales, and getting home after the game is part of the experience. Granted, given the game hardly anyone left before the final whistle, and there seemed to be a big tie-up with WB 94 which screwed everything else up.

Welcome to being a fan and cheering for a Big Ten program - and in the midst of a once-in-a-lifetime construction project. I've said this a thousand times, and especially to the inevitable callers into The Sports Huddle that whine about this same thing . . . go to any other Big Ten campus (I've been to 11 of the 12, and Lincoln is on the list now) and it is the very same story: no adjacent parking, lines to get in/out, and yes, a little hassle. Deal with it, folks. It ain't St. Johns - or NDSU for that matter.

[/B]

Welcome to being a fan and cheering for a Big Ten program - and in the midst of a once-in-a-lifetime construction project. I've said this a thousand times, and especially to the inevitable callers into The Sports Huddle that whine about this same thing . . . go to any other Big Ten campus (I've been to 11 of the 12, and Lincoln is on the list now) and it is the very same story: no adjacent parking, lines to get in/out, and yes, a little hassle. Deal with it, folks. It ain't St. Johns - or NDSU for that matter.

I agree that traffic can be biblical in a lot of other places, too. But I was at the USC game 3 weeks ago, we parked a 10 minute walk from the stadium and were out of there with no hassles. And that's with 90,000 people at the game, not 50K. You're right also that the light rail construction is buggering things up royally, too. But other than at the exit from the University ramp, I did not see one traffic cop at 7PM. That certainly would have helped.

I'll add two more:

The Good: Orseske looked good in the first two games and I thought he had his best game yesterday.

Kickoffs and KO coverage I thought were really good. Hawthorne buried it out the back of the end zone when he had the wind and kicked nice high directional KO's against the wind.

The Bad: Missed XP. Almost cost them the game. Nice to see Hawthorne go 3-for-3 on FG's though. Like the rest of the team, he's a developing project with his relative inexperience kicking the ball but he's also improved every game in my opinion. Looking forward to watching his progress as the season goes on.

About the kicking game in general: If I'm not mistaken (too lazy to go verify), Hawthorne and Orseske are both sophomores. These two could develop into a MAJOR strength over the next 2.5 years. They could be really special, particularly Orseske. What a luxury that could be for the next couple years.

I agree that traffic can be biblical in a lot of other places, too. But I was at the USC game 3 weeks ago, we parked a 10 minute walk from the stadium and were out of there with no hassles. And that's with 90,000 people at the game, not 50K. You're right also that the light rail construction is buggering things up royally, too. But other than at the exit from the University ramp, I did not see one traffic cop at 7PM. That certainly would have helped.

It's ALL the light rail construction. We had no problems with traffic last season. These two games so far have been brutal. Just gotta tough it out for one season...there isn't a whole lot that can be done when they shut down one of the 2-3 primary arteries into and out of campus.

...as to everything else: Yes.

I haven't seen any of the replays but there were a couple spots during the game that I just had to shake my head and assume the refs saw something I didn't.

There weren't 90K at the USC game 2 weeks ago. That's why I park in Dinkytown. Sure it's a longer walk, but I'm young, it's free, and there's no traffic after the game on 10th Ave.

The good:

-Q's running skills
-Our tackling is still rock solid

The bad:

-Q's passing skills.

The Ugly:

-Oline
-Brock vereen.

I thought are new kick returner looked good- Tommy Olson ;)

THE GOOD:

Get used to it. They allow it because, get ready for this, they pay for the space and they spend money for food. You're familiar with money, right? I hear it makes the world go 'round.

The traffic was REALLY bad. I stayed til the end, took my tim leaving, stopped at a ULiquor store for my tailgating buddies to have a few more in the lot, walked all the way down to the East River Flats, played a long game of Kuub, ate some more dogs, and finally left at 7:15 and it took 30 minutes to get to WB 94 (similar to the OP).

I know it's "just one season" due to the construction... but explain to me how there being construction ON Washington Ave is going to make it any better when it's done and the Light Rail is here? Washington is no longer a viable entrance to/exit from campus, so exit points from all lots/garages will be exactly as they are now. Add to that... the stadium wasn't even full!! I would wager (since I haven't seen official numbers) based on the # of empty seats that there were MAYBE 40k there, and that's pushing it. Make it a full 50k, add in the light rail train going by and halting traffic right around the stadium, and I can't even imagine how bad it will be. Don't even think about expanding the stadium to 80k without serious infrastructure changes. I'm still pissed they chose Washington Ave as the location for the Central Corridor instead of following the tracks across the river up by Sanford, going under 4th/University with a stop and stairs up then looping back down the the stadium through the proposed research park and meeting up with the line as it is now. I digress.

Anyway, the traffic was a minor part of the day as a fan given the team won and everything else fun I did.

Saw some good things on the line play despite continued stacking of the box by opposing Ds. Our D actually came up big instead of letting us down like many other losses (I was scripting out the end to the game after we couldn't score another TD or FG late up only by 6.. and Miami came close). Really feel like if Gray gets a little more aware and accurate he can be one of the best players in the conference...

I thought are new kick returner looked good- Tommy Olson ;)

I really enjoyed when the PA guy announced Olson as one of our three kick returners in the 4th quarter....I assume he was having a little fun with it. Props to him.

I know it's "just one season" due to the construction... but explain to me how there being construction ON Washington Ave is going to make it any better when it's done and the Light Rail is here?

How will it be better??

Well... unless I'm wrong, the light rail (aside from being a primarily decorative addition to the U) will also double as a mode of transportation, moving people from one place to another; thus easing the demand for parking right by the stadium.

Also, once construction is complete, pedestrian and bicycle flow will be greatly improved south of the stadium. Moving vehicles out of campus can theoretically happen quite quickly; what truly gums things up is the thousands of people walking around.

Also, once the light rail is opened up, buses (metro transit and campus connectors) and emergency vehicles will be able to resume service on Washington Ave. This pretty much opens up one whole lane for blocks on University Ave and 4th St.

THE GOOD...Power I set--play action to the running back--pass to tight end for a short yardage TD!!

The Bad......3rd week into the season and the kicking game(specifically PATs and Xtra points) is still inconsistent. That missed extra point could have cost us the game had Miami scored at the end.

The Ugly....Homecoming Queen down in Ames, Ia.

I really enjoyed when the PA guy announced Olson as one of our three kick returners in the 4th quarter....I assume he was having a little fun with it. Props to him.[/QUOTE
Yea everybody around me including myself got a good chuckle from that.

How will it be better??

Well... unless I'm wrong, the light rail (aside from being a primarily decorative addition to the U) will also double as a mode of transportation, moving people from one place to another; thus easing the demand for parking right by the stadium.

Also, once construction is complete, pedestrian and bicycle flow will be greatly improved south of the stadium. Moving vehicles out of campus can theoretically happen quite quickly; what truly gums things up is the thousands of people walking around.

Also, once the light rail is opened up, buses (metro transit and campus connectors) and emergency vehicles will be able to resume service on Washington Ave. This pretty much opens up one whole lane for blocks on University Ave and 4th St.

I think in theory all those things are great. Reality? 90% of the people who attend will still get there by car. Most people like their cars, like to be able to tailgate, or don't want to depend on a bus/light rail schedule to get in to a stadium (will it be full when it comes by, is it late, etc). Also, the light rail will add significant time to most people getting in - their only bet is to either come via rapid rail to Target Field, hop over on LRT to the Dome stop, then hop on Central Corridor OR go to the MOA, LRT up to Dome, CR to TCF (coming from StP side doesn't make sense since there's no major parking spaces along the route for gameday). Both of those are slow and involve them driving to a place at an indirect route.

Yes, pedestrian traffic will improve south of the stadium.. but to what degree? Most of the lots people use for gameday are north or west of the stadium, and if south are before the construction (Washington Ave ramp). The only ones that come to mind that pedestrians had to cross to get to are the E River garage and Oak St Ramp. I'll also say the traffic jam I was in to get on 94 had very little foot traffic causing delays. The bottlenecks of one entrance to the freeway with 1 lane each direction but having multiple feeder roads to it caused the traffic (IMO).

I'm hopeful but yesterday showed what gameday will be like without Washington Ave. Let's say we get a 50% improvement in traffic conditions once construction is done... as I said yesterday there were MAYBE 40k there (I think more like 35k), what happens when its 50,280 next year? I would bet similar conditions to yesterday...

The traffic was REALLY bad. I stayed til the end, took my tim leaving, stopped at a ULiquor store for my tailgating buddies to have a few more in the lot, walked all the way down to the East River Flats, played a long game of Kuub, ate some more dogs, and finally left at 7:15 and it took 30 minutes to get to WB 94 (similar to the OP).

I know it's "just one season" due to the construction... but explain to me how there being construction ON Washington Ave is going to make it any better when it's done and the Light Rail is here? Washington is no longer a viable entrance to/exit from campus, so exit points from all lots/garages will be exactly as they are now. Add to that... the stadium wasn't even full!! I would wager (since I haven't seen official numbers) based on the # of empty seats that there were MAYBE 40k there, and that's pushing it. Make it a full 50k, add in the light rail train going by and halting traffic right around the stadium, and I can't even imagine how bad it will be. Don't even think about expanding the stadium to 80k without serious infrastructure changes. I'm still pissed they chose Washington Ave as the location for the Central Corridor instead of following the tracks across the river up by Sanford, going under 4th/University with a stop and stairs up then looping back down the the stadium through the proposed research park and meeting up with the line as it is now. I digress.

Anyway, the traffic was a minor part of the day as a fan given the team won and everything else fun I did.

Saw some good things on the line play despite continued stacking of the box by opposing Ds. Our D actually came up big instead of letting us down like many other losses (I was scripting out the end to the game after we couldn't score another TD or FG late up only by 6.. and Miami came close). Really feel like if Gray gets a little more aware and accurate he can be one of the best players in the conference...

To beat traffic try this route. From East River Flats you take East River Parkway North, take a right on Arlington Street, take a right on Pleasant Street SE and that dumps you on to the Washington Avenue Bridge. From there you have to drive through downtown to get to where you want to go but there is no traffic because hardly anyone goes this way.

To beat traffic try this route. From East River Flats you take East River Parkway North, take a right on Arlington Street, take a right on Pleasant Street SE and that dumps you on to the Washington Avenue Bridge. From there you have to drive through downtown to get to where you want to go but there is no traffic because hardly anyone goes this way.

I debated that as I was exiting the lot but was convinced by the people in my car it'd just be easier to go towards 94. Definitely won't make that mistake again...

I think in theory all those things are great. Reality? 90% of the people who attend will still get there by car.

Have you ever taken the light rail after a Twins or Vikings game? I don't know if it's just ten percent of the attendees (and it very well may be) but I promise you that a whole bunch of people will be taking that train.

+1. I use the exact same route getting off campus.

I think in theory all those things are great. Reality? 90% of the people who attend will still get there by car. Most people like their cars, like to be able to tailgate, or don't want to depend on a bus/light rail schedule to get in to a stadium (will it be full when it comes by, is it late, etc). Also, the light rail will add significant time to most people getting in - their only bet is to either come via rapid rail to Target Field, hop over on LRT to the Dome stop, then hop on Central Corridor OR go to the MOA, LRT up to Dome, CR to TCF (coming from StP side doesn't make sense since there's no major parking spaces along the route for gameday). Both of those are slow and involve them driving to a place at an indirect route.

I like my car, I like tailgating, but I will take the train once it exists. Depending on the light rail schedule is a huge drawback? They come at least every 15 minutes during games. I mean, people here are complaining about waiting over an hour for traffic to die down, and you're telling me that the schedule and the additional "significant" time will cause people to not use it? I just wish all the lightrail haters could ride it once before they bitch about it.

I really enjoyed when the PA guy announced Olson as one of our three kick returners in the 4th quarter....I assume he was having a little fun with it. Props to him.

I heard that too, had a nice little chuckle.

The good:

(1) Starts with Gray for me. I guess the footnote to that is that the O-staff is really finding ways to make optimum use of his talents.

(2) Special teams--especially the punt block team.

(3) Coach Kill back on the sidelines.

The bad:

(1) Pass coverage. There appears to be a lot of pressure on the safeties and maybe they are being asked to do too much in helping on the outside receivers. Whatever, Lewis and Royston had a couple of less than stellar moments yesterday and that will have to get ironed out.

(2) O-line push. Not getting much out of the three seniors in the middle, but it's not like they have a wealth of experience even though they are seniors.

(3) Still lacking consistent pass pressure. We at least made Dysart run around back there when it became a "pass only" game, but it would be nice if we could generate pressure out of standard sets.

(3) Still lacking consistent pass pressure. We at least made Dysart run around back there when it became a "pass only" game, but it would be nice if we could generate pressure out of standard sets.

Every time I looked at Dysart running around back there it looked like he had a Purdue jersey on. :banghead::banghead:

Every time I looked at Dysart running around back there it looked like he had a Purdue jersey on. :banghead::banghead:

I was having the same exact flashback! Seriously.

I like my car, I like tailgating, but I will take the train once it exists. Depending on the light rail schedule is a huge drawback? They come at least every 15 minutes during games. I mean, people here are complaining about waiting over an hour for traffic to die down, and you're telling me that the schedule and the additional "significant" time will cause people to not use it? I just wish all the lightrail haters could ride it once before they bitch about it.

I have ridden the LRT to downtown for the bar scene as well as downtown for a Twins game when it was at the dome. I'm sorry but it IS a pain in the ass. First, I've seen the crowds on the platform outside the dome and at Target Field (my seats last year at Target were right next to the station). Having 1,000 people on a platform makes it seem PACKED. Like nut to butt. So there's a perception bias that tons of people use it. 10% at TCF would be 5,000 people, which I'd say is a reasonable number (where the 90% using cars came from). Why is it slower than how you made it seem? Anywhere from 1-15 minutes to wait for the next train, and that's IF you get on it (given it's typically 2 cars and they can't hold more than ~190 per car, so 400 people per train, every 15 minutes link). From the dome station to the MOA is a 31 minute ride (which is where the slow part came from). Add in the time from TCF to the dome station (5-10 minutes?). We're at 35-40 just to get to your car. My house in Lakeville is a 15 minute drive to the MOA (not counting getting out of the parking garage), while only a 25 minute drive to campus (no traffic). So BEST CASE scenario using LRT from campus to parking is 40 minutes plus whatever extra drive time you have due to the stop location you chose being out of the way from your home. Not including waiting on a tiny platform with hundreds to thousands of people for 1-15 minutes, assuming you make the next train. Easy 1 hour total trip and I don't have the ability to tailgate, drive wherever I want before/after the game. Plus I've spent $1.75 per person per direction ($3.50 since the game is more than 2.5 hours) which for a group of 4 that's $14 (which would cover the cost of parking for a car on campus). That's why you might get 5-10% of the crowd using it.

And if the public transport mode was so great why aren't people taking advantage of it today by LRT-ing it to the dome then riding the frequent 16 bus over through campus???

On topic though, I think the biggest "Good" is that we won. We needed it.

IMO Christyn Lewis looked pretty bad. IDK if i was the only person who thought that but man he was bad. I feel bad calling him out, but someone earlier said Brock Vereen looked bad and imo he did pretty well considering they kept going after him.

I saw Lewis out of position a handful of times, but one time it was after Royston came up when Dysart was scrambling, leaving Lewis to race 30 yards laterally to try and get to the wide-open receiver.

pass D

Our pass D did look bad. Maybe it's just my maroon colored glasses but I don't know too many teams that can defend 4-5 receiver sets multiple times. I thought I heard the announcers say at one time in the 4th that Miami had 5 receivers on the field. I don't believe we have enough depth at any position to be able to deal with that. I also don't think we are going to be able to get enough pressure on the qb without bringing additional help and with that many receivers our front 4 are pretty much on their own. The front 4 did ok though and did at least force some scrambling but we need to contain the qb instead of letting him out of the pocket. That killed us almost every time.

Top Bottom