The Dan Patrick Show

ORGopher

Reaction score
Seth Davis on the Dan Patrick show this morning:

"Everyone knows that Tubby Smith wants out of Minnesota."

Not a great comment on a national radio show. Build the man a practice facility....please

OK, "everyone" must mean all of the talking heads that report things like they were working for TMZ. They believe if enough people report it then it must be true. What will they say if he doesn't go to Oregon and signs a long term deal with Minnesota? I honestly believe this is a power play by Tubby to put pressure on the U to accelerate the practice facility schedule and/or to get a long term deal with a raise.

These are the same people that said Tubby signing with Auburn was a "done deal."

there are too many rumors about Tubby and every job that opens up to me that means something. Is Tubby going to come out publicly and say he wants out? Of course not. IMO too many times his name is mentioned for there not to be something to this. More than likely Tubby's people getting the word out similar to when he came here.

Just because the media is saying something most don't want to hear doesn't make it false.

Seth Davis on the Dan Patrick show this morning:

"Everyone knows that Tubby Smith wants out of Minnesota."

Not a great comment on a national radio show. Build the man a practice facility....please

Now THAT'S more like it. Get back to spreading false rumors rather than President Bruininks' quotes.

there are too many rumors about Tubby and every job that opens up to me that means something. Is Tubby going to come out publicly and say he wants out? Of course not. IMO too many times his name is mentioned for there not to be something to this. More than likely Tubby's people getting the word out similar to when he came here.

Just because the media is saying something most don't want to hear doesn't make it false.

Heres the problem with that thinking: no one knew or heard anything before he came here. It absolutely came out of the blue. I agree with FOT. If Tubby were leaving it would happen the same way. We wouldn't hear a thing about it and all of a sudden he is gone.

Bottom line, Seth is a product of Lanny. This is the same guy who was so confident that Tubby was packing his condo up and heading to UVA a year ago. No accountability for throwing garbage out. Tabloid media, Jay Mariotti and the Enquirer setting standards now for major outlets.

Heres the problem with that thinking: no one knew or heard anything before he came here. It absolutely came out of the blue. I agree with FOT. If Tubby were leaving it would happen the same way. We wouldn't hear a thing about it and all of a sudden he is gone.

I can't disagree with your point but I don't believe everything from the media is just fabricated.

Also I don't remember hearing any rumblings in the media beforehand that he wanted out of Kentucky. I could be wrong on that point but this is different in the fact what is being said is he wants out Minnesota.

I can't disagree with your point but I don't believe everything from the media is just fabricated.

Also I don't remember hearing any rumblings in the media beforehand that he wanted out of Kentucky. I could be wrong on that point but this is different in the fact what is being said is he wants out Minnesota.

How is it any different than Dennis Dodd's "Tubby's close to signing with Auburn"? Or Souhan's "Tubby's checking out Auburn"? Or Myron's "Tubby wants to go to Georgia Tech"? Those were all basically implying the same thing and all turned out to be patently false. Seth Davis has proved nothing more than to be a talking head over the years. And he's continuing to show why.

Regardless of what we want to think about Seth Davis' comment, it certainly does not help the program any, even if Tubby is not planning on leaving this year. For me it brings into question as to how happy Tubby is at Minnesota. I really think he wants to stay but is he ever going to be happy enough to stay where he feels like the University is 100% behind him. I don't know. I am an outsider looking in and reading between the lines.

How is it any different than Dennis Dodd's "Tubby's close to signing with Auburn"? Or Souhan's "Tubby's checking out Auburn"? Or Myron's "Tubby wants to go to Georgia Tech"? Those were all basically implying the same thing and all turned out to be patently false. Seth Davis has proved nothing more than to be a talking head over the years. And he's continuing to show why.

How do you know all of these are not true? Simply because they didn't happen make them false?

Yes Tubby didn't sign with Auburn and probably was never going but how do you know he didn't at least check Auburn out or he didn't want the Tech job? I just don't see how you can be totally certain that what was reported is "patently false". And it really doesn't matter what Tubby is quoted as saying it is all just coach speak anyway.

Regardless of what we want to think about Seth Davis' comment, it certainly does not help the program any, even if Tubby is not planning on leaving this year. For me it brings into question as to how happy Tubby is at Minnesota. I really think he wants to stay but is he ever going to be happy enough to stay where he feels like the University is 100% behind him. I don't know. I am an outsider looking in and reading between the lines.

The false rumors are INTENDED to hurt Tubby's program at Minnesota. False sources spread lies to media morons who run with the stories. Some fans swallow them hook, line, and sinker.

The false rumors are INTENDED to hurt Tubby's program at Minnesota. False sources spread lies to media morons who run with the stories. Some fans swallow them hook, line, and sinker.

Including you. You've posted more than anyone in these threads. The same thing over and over again. Give it a rest.

I wonder if these rumors would exist if we weren't going after an elite point guard this late in the game.

I've said the rumors are false, not true.

I realize that. You're still acknowledging the rumor by posting the same thing over and over ad-nauseum. We get it, you have secret email conversations with Tubby and Donna and they aren't going anywhere.

Most people on here agree that he's most likely not going anywhere, that doesn't stop a rumor from popping up in the media and this board.

Do you really think someone like Seth Davis would risk his reputation on false rumors? He is not going to take the word of some source that he does not trust. Granted, at the end of the day the rumors might not become reality, but that does not mean that there was not some truth to what was being said.

How do you know all of these are not true? Simply because they didn't happen make them false?

Yes Tubby didn't sign with Auburn and probably was never going but how do you know he didn't at least check Auburn out or he didn't want the Tech job? I just don't see how you can be totally certain that what was reported is "patently false". And it really doesn't matter what Tubby is quoted as saying it is all just coach speak anyway.

Because nothing actually transpired. Souhan went as far as to place Tubby in Alabama checking out high school talent when it turned out that he was actually in Wisconsin and Minnesota recruiting. That's the epitome of patently false. On top of that, Dodd talked in enough circles regarding Auburn to give one vertigo, at which point it was obvious that he had no idea what he was talking about. And Myron jumped right on board with the whole Tubby's wants Georgia Tech's job, when, oops, there's no opening there. If you want to cast your line with this bunch, then feel free.

But you'll excuse us if we don't jump out of our socks at something Seth Davis said. Davis had Tubby all but signed and delivered to Virginia last year too. And, oops, that turned out to be wrong. But on another note, you've already said you don't believe Tubby anyway because it's all "coach speak." So I guess I'm not surprised that you're believing all these rumors.

Do you really think someone like Seth Davis would risk his reputation on false rumors? He is not going to take the word of some source that he does not trust. Granted, at the end of the day the rumors might not become reality, but that does not mean that there was not some truth to what was being said.

What reputation? His reputation is for being wrong much of the time. So no, I don't trust Seth or his "sources."

Do you really think someone like Seth Davis would risk his reputation on false rumors?
Ahhh, yes. Tell me what were the results of his BS story? Did he apologize? Did he get a pay cut for throwing out some less than credible information? No and No.

There are no consequences because people just rationalize his actions. He can make up what ever he wants and somebody will come on here and say, "How do you know someone didn't tell him that?" He has no risk so why not make up things? Then go ahead and release it so you can bump up your hits on the day before Tubby has a Tournament game. The way I see it he has no risk and all reward until these people are held accountable by you and me.

Google Lanny Davis.

I realize that. You're still acknowledging the rumor by posting the same thing over and over ad-nauseum. We get it, you have secret email conversations with Tubby and Donna and they aren't going anywhere.

Most people on here agree that he's most likely not going anywhere, that doesn't stop a rumor from popping up in the media and this board.

Good job. You should give a seminar covering the "Shut Up Method." You know, the nuts and bolts of how to tell people they've written too many posts and that it's time for them to be quiet. Great technique. You don't have to put forth an honest rebuttal and support it with the usual, though inconvenient, substantive facts, yet are able to silence those with whom you disagree. Impressive.

Good job. You should give a seminar covering the "Shut Up Method." You know, the nuts and bolts of how to tell people they've written too many posts and that it's time for them to be quiet. Great technique. You don't have to put forth an honest rebuttal and support it with the usual, though inconvenient, substantive facts, yet are able to silence those with whom you disagree. Impressive.

Brilliant Max. I'm not even disagreeing with FOT, as I don't think Tubby is going anywhere. I'm just asking him to substantiate his claims to all of these supposed lies or quit spamming the board. We get it, he doesn't think Tubby is going anywhere, but to claim he has a better grip on Tubby's career path than people connected closely with the program is outrageous.

Please point to any of the 1000 posts FOT has made this past month regarding the coaching rumors being completely false that "rebut and support his case by putting forth an honest rebuttal with substantive facts". He calls every article a flat out lie based on his private email conversation with Tubby weeks ago, yet will not elaborate. Tell me how that has any more factual substance than the original media articles claiming a trusted source. Even if he talked to him a few weeks ago about the Auburn job, what does that have to do with the recent Oregon rumors?

Brilliant Max. I'm not even disagreeing with FOT, as I don't think Tubby is going anywhere. I'm just asking him to substantiate his claims to all of these supposed lies or quit spamming the board. We get it, he doesn't think Tubby is going anywhere, but to claim he has a better grip on Tubby's career path than people connected closely with the program is outrageous.

Please point to any of the 1000 posts FOT has made this past month regarding the coaching rumors being completely false that "rebut and support his case by putting forth an honest rebuttal with substantive facts". He calls every article a flat out lie based on his private email conversation with Tubby weeks ago, yet will not elaborate. Tell me how that has any more factual substance than the original media articles claiming a trusted source. Even if he talked to him a few weeks ago about the Auburn job, what does that have to do with the recent Oregon rumors?

Not sure if you've noticed, but folks have been spamming this board with every rumor under the sun since the season ended. And taking into account how bizarre and completely untrue much of it has turned out to be, I certainly wouldn't call FOT's posts anymore spam worthy than the others.

FOT has also talked about the fact that he emails Tubby regularly. What that means, I'm not sure. But to be perfectly honest, most of these rumors don't have much substantial evidence either. It's mostly just cluttered speculation without an once of real information to pass along. So I guess it comes down to who you choose to believe.

Most of what you said there is a false summary of what I have said.

I SAID listen to/read what TUBBY SAYS IN QUOTES and believe him.

If Tubby were going to coach School XYZ, there would be nothing about it in the public.

Case in point, 2006. Minnesota was a strong possibility from December 2006 on. No one - NO ONE - heard a peep until March 22, 2007 when he flew up to Minnesota with Maturi.

Not sure if you've noticed, but folks have been spamming this board with every rumor under the sun since the season ended. And taking into account how bizarre and completely untrue much of it has turned out to be, I certainly wouldn't call FOT's posts anymore spam worthy than the others.

FOT has also talked about the fact that he emails Tubby regularly. What that means, I'm not sure. But to be perfectly honest, most of these rumors don't have much substantial evidence either. It's mostly just cluttered speculation without an once of real information to pass along. So I guess it comes down to who you choose to believe.

The last paragraph is false. I never said that. Nothing even close to that.

Don't think that even STFU would be an effective sliencing technique.

So do you honestly think the media is creating these stories to hurt Minnesota recruiting. Out of all of the programs to try and damage and bring down they are going to go after a program that hasn't won a tourney game in several years and has been out of the national spotlight for sometime. Your reasoning as to why they are creating these "false rumors" just does not make sense. Please explain to me why out of all the programs to pick on and try and bring down, they choose a middle of the conference team like Minnesota?

Top Bottom